Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - Phuketman

Currently have a 2010 Hyundai i30 with 120k on the clock. Nothing has gone wrong with it and it is a good car.

Looking to change it though for a 2018 or 2019 car. for around about 11k pounds.

It is for mainly town driving and local runs. One to two adults plus occasionally 2 small dogs. Does a fortnightly 100 mile motorway trip to see relatives. We would likely keep it until it's dead - so probably for 10 years.

Have been looking at the 1.0 litre petrol on both the i30 and the Astra.

I'm seeing 2019 Astra models for about 11 to 11.5k for the Sri Nav which seems great value with less than 15k on the clock

The comparable i30 model for the same price would only net me a 2018 model.

we're so amazed at our current i30 that we are loath to change brand, but the Astra appears to give better value for money and is also locally built.

Any thoughts?

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - RT

Most Astras are built by Opel in Gliwice, Poland with a few specific models, mainly estates, built at Ellesmere Port, England - the I30 is built in Nosovice, Czech Republic.

You would of course get a longer manufacturers warranty with the i30, 3 years remaining, compared to the 3 years remaining on the Astra.

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - sajid

stick with korean brands or japaanese for reliability

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - Engineer Andy

If there's nothing wrong with your existing i30, then I personally don't see the need to change. It'll cost far more over the long term to change cars now - do what you said you'd do with the replacement - run it utnil it dies/becomes uneconomic to repair.

That being said, if you really want to change, and if you're doing not a particuarly high (10k and under) mileage, I would strongly consider the i30's sister car, the KIA Ceed. You'll get a 7 year, 100k mile warranty instead of a 5 year, unlimited miles warranty (whichever comes first for both).

I know I bang about this a lot as well, but if you're going to buy a car on a budget and keep it for a long time, then running costs will factor in a lot, so take that into account, including the cost of replacing the tyres. You'll often find that upper-middle spec (and above) cars come shod on wide, low profile tyres, and some makes also sell quite a number of low spec cars with them because they look good.

The problem is that they give a much firmer, noisier ride, lower mpg (not hugely, but it all adds up over time), are far more susceptible to damage (including the alloy wheels), including blowouts, last far less (general wear and tear) and often cost 2+ times more than 'standard' sized wheels and tyres.

For the type of car you're looking for, I'd find one that was shod on either something like 195/65 R15 tyres or 205/55 (or 205/60) R16s, rather than something like 215/45 R17 or 18in equivalents. There's also far more choice, especially from high quality brands and newer-designed tyres for the first two (very popular) tyre sizes at very reasonable prices.

I would be far more concerned with engineering quality than specifically the country where it is built, unless it has a poor reputation for local build quality for the factory rather than the brand generally (or vice-versa).

Normally, Japanese or South Korean makes (well, aside from perhaps Nissan [Renault]) are normally fine wherever they are built. The Astra appears to have improved quite a bit in recent versions, so it's probably ok unless you go with one with lots of bells and whistles.

I would also consider the Mazda3 2.0 SE-L (Nav) and the Toyota Auris (boring but very reliable) 1.2T. It's also worth making sure that the servicing agent/main dealer is a good one, as their quality can vary quite a bit (especially for Mazda and Vauxhall). If you've been well treated by your local Hyundai dealer, then that pushes you towards them again.

Bear in mind that any car still under warranty (especially the Hyundai/KIAs) will likely need to be maintained at a main dealer, as it is difficult to prove (at least in the UK) an indie uses the correct parts and servicing to keep the warranty valid. In my view, it's pointless buying a car in warranty and then having it maintained at a backstreet garage.

I'd personally stick with your current i30 for the moment, especially as we may be facing very uncertain times over the coming years, and thus keeping as much money as possible is the best course.

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - badbusdriver

I'd tend to agree with Andy. If there is nothing wrong with the current car, just keep it. Assuming you service it regular and don't abuse it, the i30 will soldier on for quite a few years yet!.

However, if you feel you must change, as well as the Ceed, i'd also throw in a curveball, the Suzuki SX4 S-Cross 1.0 Boosterjet. Different kind of car granted, being an SUV/Crossover type, but it is of a similar size to an Astra/i30. I mention it because having looked at them in response to previous threads, i know they do seem to be very good value for money. A quick look on Autotrader confirms that 2019 models are available for under £11k. Here is one (from a Suzuki dealer) if you aren't sure what they look like,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190125428...1

BTW, Suzuki's are generally very reliable unless fitted with (someone else's) diesel engine.

Thank everyone so much for your replies and it certainly has given me food for thought.

I will have a look at the Kia Ceed.

I knew both Hyundai and Kia have long warranties BUT living in a village, our local backstreet garage is brilliant and cheap, so it's a toss up really. I would have to look and absolutely make sure that they insist on main dealer servicing to keep the warranty going.

The Astra is a lot of car for the money and would be on a 2019 plate

The i30 would be on a 2018 plate for the same spec and price.

I had not thought about the tyre sizes but will also look into that. Lots of country lanes, 3 point turns, and rutted tracks do not make for tyres lasting ages.

I drove the i30 today to fill it up with petrol (it's my partners car and I'm shielding her) and i thought, man! these seats are still nice and firm, the engine feels pretty peppy. 10 years old and 134 thousand miles.

After I'd filled up, i checked the trip computer. Av speed 23mph (I told you it was all around town! ) and av fuel consumption 40mpg. Not bad eh!

Why do I want to get rid? It is starting to make a couple of vibrations and rattles that sound expensive to me. It's that time of it's life. I also think that the 2nd hand car market is going to nose dive in the next couple of months as people trade in for 2020 cars that they haven't been able to buy. A glut of 2nd hand cars drives the market down i reckon.

Thanks for your help so far. I will have a look on CarGurus at the Kia Ceed.

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - Engineer Andy

No problem. The Ceed is essentially the i30 with a different-ish exterior and interior. Same engines generally, with a few differences in what spec can be had across the range.

I know what you mean about you existing car - my 55 plate (late 2005 build) Mazda3 1.6 petrol soldiers on perfectly well, nor real issues, and goes very well. I just keep an eye on the usual stuff and the battery (as it's not used that much), thus far no issues of note (apart from general wear and tear items) from new, no breakdowns (I don't count flat old batteries) either.

You might want to check that the ratles and vibrations (unless you know it's interior trim) may be worn suspension parts that, when replaced, the noise disappears and for a several years. Older cars will get some noise from worn suspension, wheel bearings, bushes, etc. Similarly tyres can get unduly worn on one side or the centre and cause noise'vibration.

Still, fixing them costs a significant amount less than replacing the car. Sometimes an indie may miss certain things that a main dealer may not (and vice-versa).

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - Ian_SW

One thing to be aware of with the Ceed is that the model change to the latest model was about a year after the i30.

I think this might mean only the previous generation Ceed would be within budget.

I've driven both the i30 and Astra as hire cars for work many times (probably done more miles in them than I have in my own car!), and would say the Astra drives a bit better and has more space in the boot, but there's not a lot of difference. Every i30 I had as a hire car had a slightly irritating message come and go on the dashboard all the time about the lane departure assistance being disabled - it seemed to need the windscreen completely clean for it to work so would probably be better on a car you actually owned. Hire car windscreens are always covered in greasy marks!

Both are massively better than the 1st generation i30 (which at the time I thought was significantly worse than the equivalent Astra / Focus etc), so if the OP hasn't driven either yet make sure to try both to compare, rather than comparing with a car which is both a 10 year old design and is also 10 years old.

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - Avant

"....our local backstreet garage is brilliant and cheap."

So they perhaps wouldn't charge too much to give your i30 a check-over and an opinion as to whether it's still sound or it's about to be expensive. If the latter, the garagiste might share his experience of which cars his customers have found to be reliable.

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - RT

So they perhaps wouldn't charge too much to give your i30 a check-over and an opinion as to whether it's still sound or it's about to be expensive. If the latter, the garagiste might share his experience of which cars his customers have found to be reliable.

I've asked that question of my local trusted indie workshop - rightly, they pointed out that they don't get to see reliable vehicles, only the unreliable.

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - S40 Man

I have a 16 plate Astra 1.6 turbo. It's a nice car to drive. I haven't had any issues with in in nearby a years ownership. For whatever reason, they seem to lose value quite quickly. I think they are slightly cheaper when new and aren't as trendy as other makes these days.

Whether this is due to any real difference in quality or is merely perception, I don't know.

If you plan to keep it for a long time any depreciation will be largely irrelevant. You could bag a bargain, with depreciation that has already occurred.

I go on a Facebook group for Astra and but many complaints about the 1.0 but if avoid the 1.4 Turbo which is supposedly somewhat thirsty and unreliable.

I've asked that question of my local trusted indie workshop - rightly, they pointed out that they don't get to see reliable vehicles, only the unreliable.

That would suggest they don't do servicing or MOT's, only repairs, which seems unlikely i'd have thought. Any garage doing regular servicing/MOT work should be aware of what cars 'need' more doing than others?.

I have a 16 plate Astra 1.6 turbo. It's a nice car to drive. I haven't had any issues with in in nearby a years ownership. For whatever reason, they seem to lose value quite quickly. I think they are slightly cheaper when new and aren't as trendy as other makes these days.

Whether this is due to any real difference in quality or is merely perception, I don't know.

I don't think quality has much to do with it, just perception, badge snobbery or whatever. We had a Meriva back when the 2nd gen cars first came out and while there were plenty of things i wasn't too keen on, the quality wasn't among them. Everythng worked, the plastics felt fine, and the seats were especially comfortable.

I go on a Facebook group for Astra and but many complaints about the 1.0 but if avoid the 1.4 Turbo which is supposedly somewhat thirsty and unreliable.

As for the engines, certainly going by what SLO syas, the 1.4T is fine. Not sure about the 1.0, but i seem to have a recollection of someone (on the forum) saying that it is a Chinese built engine, maybe even the same as the one used by MG?.

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - daveyK_UK
Regarding the Astra, it had a face lift last year and while the Exterior differences are minor, under the bonnet Peugeot gave it quite a big overhaul including getting rid of the 1.6 GM diesel with it’s designed in clutch failure.

Quite a few other components have been replaced and the new engine line up is a lot better.

So if your going for an Astra, try to make sure you have one of the new face lift versions, it will be considerably better.

A member of the assembly line staff on another forum who works at Ellesmere port stated it’s the first time in a long while he would buy an Astra as its back to being a proper car not a GM dollar tree parts bin.

On a side note, he hopes Peugeot keep the plant open and invest in a new Astra as he is convinced in the short time Peugeot have owned the plant, the quality of components and the quality control coming from suppliers has constantly increased.

A member of the assembly line staff on another forum who works at Ellesmere port stated it’s the first time in a long while he would buy an Astra as its back to being a proper car not a GM dollar tree parts bin.

And that is one of the problems. I live round the corner from the Ellesmere Port plant and kinda want to support them. But on the other hand, they are owned by Peugeout now so what difference does it make.!

Think I'm now swinging back towards the i30 !

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - daveyK_UK
Vauxhall Being owned by Peugeot is a positive Compared to General Motors

While all new Vauxhall products so far since Peugeot took over have been rebadged Peugeot’s and Citroen's: they are all superior to the General Motors product it replaced.

The Astra, Insignia and Mokka X are the last of the General Motors vehicles.
The Astra has had a substantial upgrade and changes under the skin, the Insignia has had a moderate update but is getting further upgrades, the Mokka comes from South Korea and or Zaragoza (think Right hand drive versions are South Korean); GM effectively sells them to the Peugeot group at such a low rate its worth Peugeot continuing with the arrangement.
It was a similar arrangement for the Vauxhall Viva which Peugeot kept selling for a while as the cost per unit from GM was so cheap.

Buying a UK made car is a positive for the factory and your local area where employees are likely to live

It would be good if the UK factory which clearly has spare capacity and is set up to manufacture the estate models of the Astra could build Astra vans again.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 07/06/2020 at 18:05

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - Chris M

"Not sure about the 1.0, but i seem to have a recollection of someone (on the forum) saying that it is a Chinese built engine, maybe even the same as the one used by MG?."

Possibly me. The 1.0T is a joint venture.

I've now had my Astra 1.0T SRi Nav for 3 years. It's been reliable and I love the engine. Warranty claims have been limited to a replacement infotainment screen and steering rack at 2 years. The screen went blank and the rack was replaced as the motor was a bit noisy during low speed manoeuvring. At 3 years the auxiliary belt tensioner was replaced as it was getting a little noisy.

I'll be carrying out the 4th service myself. It would be a big drawback for me being tied into a Korean main dealer for 5 or 7 years. From some of the comments I've read in the Backroom, these long warranties aren't as quibble free as say, Toyota's.

To the OP, the 1.0T seems to be reliable, the 1.4T had some issues early on, but I think were sorted. All new petrol engines are now 1.2T. This engine isn't the PSA lump but a design that was already underway when they purchased Vx. Autocar recently tested one and rated it highly. The main issue was the badge.

Edited by Chris M on 08/06/2020 at 17:52

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - Penumbra

Early 2016 cars using the 1.4 engine were filled with the wrong engine oil from the factory apparently, which lead to problems. Get one 2017 onwards and you won't have too many problems - certainly far more reliable than the Ford Ecoboom.

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - SLO76
For longterm ownership I’d be happy with either but I’d probably favour a post 2016 Astra 1.4T over the 1.0 which although very pleasant it hasn’t really had time to prove itself yet with few high milers around. Past chain driven 3cyl GM motors have been somewhat unreliable so I’m yet to be convinced they had it right with this one.

The 1.4 is however based on an old tried and tested design. Stories of early versions having issues are to be found online but I have personally never heard an issue with this engine and I know plenty of people with them with a large Vauxhall dealer nearby which has sold plenty of Zafira’s with it fitted to people I’ve advised in the past.

Much will depend on what’s available nearby but I’d expand the search to include the following.

Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv - These are great to drive, well made, decent on fuel and utterly reliable.

Honda Civic 1.8 VTEC - Spacious, solid and mechanically bombproof. This will outlast anything else but isn’t as nice to drive as the Mazda or the Astra.

Toyota Auris 1.2T - Reliable and long lived but a bit dated inside. The estate is the best option but hatches are cheaper.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/06/2020 at 16:43

Hyundai i30 vs Astra - Looking for a late reg car. - Avant

As Phuketman is looking for a newish car, he'd be looking at the current shape Civic, where the petrol engine choice is 1.0 or 1.5. Friends have a 1.0 and say it's as lively as their previous Civic 1.8.