Citroen C3 Picasso - Grounds to return a used car for a refund? - LKD

Hi,

On 25th February (Tues) I purchased a 2009 Citroen C3 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi 90 with 68k miles and full service history from a local dealer.

On 26th February (Wed) the passenger side front window came down approx 1/3 of the way and got jammed (I managed to get it back up again). I called the dealer who advised to drop the car in to be checked/repaired. I arranged a day off and dropped the car in on 3rd March (Tues - 1st day I could arrange off) to be told they couldn't repair it and the car would have to be repaired by an auto-electrician. Again I arranged a day swap and dropped the car off on 10th March (Tues). During the day I was unable to get any update on the repair until 4:45pm when I was told I couldn't pick the car up from the dealer but instead would need to collect it from a local tyre shop? I checked the window was working and all seemed fine. On the same evening I picked my wife up and when she opened the passenger door it now makes a loud metallic clunk everytime it is opened and closed.

On 11th March (Wed) on my way to work the car started to make a low rumbling/grinding noise which seemed to be coming from the rear drivers side wheel. Worried, I dropped it into my usual garage for a check over. I was informed the noise was coming from the rear wheel bearings. With this car the bearings are part of the rear brake disk assembly. £352 later for 2 new disks and pads the sound has gone. The garage also informed me the tracking was 'significantly' off and was corrected free of charge (appears on invoice @ £0).

On 14th March (Sat) on my way home from work the engine management light came on with 'Anti Pollution Fault' message. I got home and the car has not been used since, although I started it again today (Sun) and the same fault came up.

I understand the car is 10 years old but it is low mileage for the year with a supplied full service history. I have now experienced 3 separate faults with this car in less than 3 weeks after purchase leaving we with zero confidence regarding its mechanical soundness. I do not want to drive the car with a engine management light on and as a result have had to cancel my entire clinic tomorrow (I run my own business) as I cannot get to my remote location (on top of the 2 days off I have already had to take).

Given my issues so far do you think it is reasonable for me to request a refund under the Consumer Care act or am I being unreasonable?

Thanks for your time

Citroen C3 Picasso - Grounds to return a used car for a refund? - Andrew-T

You are not being unreasonable, but as the car is 10 years old I doubt that you have a lot to gain. You have been unlucky, but maybe you are just finding out why the previous owner got rid of the car. I guess you have no warranty with it, and even if you did it would probably not be worth much. All you can hope for might be some goodwill from the selling dealer, as your faults are mostly typical wear-&-tear for an old car.

How much did the car cost, and how many previous owners are there ?

Citroen C3 Picasso - Grounds to return a used car for a refund? - elekie&a/c doctor

You definitely have grounds for rejection under the 30 day law .However ,you took it upon yourself to have the wheel bearings repaired with (I guess) no authorisation from the dealer. By doing this ,I think it would be deemed that you have accepted the car as it is. Best bet would be to contact the seller to come to some agreement.

Citroen C3 Picasso - Grounds to return a used car for a refund? - daveyK_UK
Check the owners forms what the wanting light means and the likeLy culprit, it could be a cheap fix.
Citroen C3 Picasso - Grounds to return a used car for a refund? - dadbif
I have just sold my C3 Picasso after 19 years and almost 90k miles. Excellent vehicle, however at that age it started to go wrong, new steering rack that failed in Spain cost me £900.
The pollution fault light will either be a blocked DPF or depleted eolys fluid, the fluid is £175 from your friendly dealer, you can refill it using PAT fluid from Eurocarparts, first did mine some years ago, but the plastic bags crack and split so I had to buy new.
Not a car I would buy at that age...

Edited by dadbif on 24/03/2020 at 07:55

Citroen C3 Picasso - Grounds to return a used car for a refund? - dadbif
Should read 10 years...