Mercedes A150 - ECU problems with Mercedes A150 I'm buying - DC101

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a 2008 Mercedes A150 from a local garage. I've put a refundable deposit on it until they have valeted it and put a 12month MOT on it after which I intended to buy it. However they have told me that they've discovered a problem with the ECU which they need to get fixed in order for it to pass the MOT.

I have heard in the past that problems with ECUs can be a bit of a nightmare, therefore I wonder if it's still a good idea to go ahead with the purchase, or whether to let it go. I mean does anyone have any experience with the ECUs on an A150?

Thanks in advance.

Mercedes A150 - ECU problems with Mercedes A150 I'm buying - Avant

Sorry to be negative, but most of us on here would advise that buying a 12-year-old Mercedes will be at best a gamble, at worst a money-pit. And the A150 doesn't even have performance on its side.

If you are after something more interesting than the usual options, maybe look for a 1.8 petrol Honda Civic.

Mercedes A150 - ECU problems with Mercedes A150 I'm buying - thunderbird

Sorry to be negative, but most of us on here would advise that buying a 12-year-old Mercedes will be at best a gamble, at worst a money-pit. And the A150 doesn't even have performance on its side.

If you are after something more interesting than the usual options, maybe look for a 1.8 petrol Honda Civic.

Forget interesting when buying a 12 year old car.

Forget the Civic, its a hard riding noisy beast.

Buy a 1.8 petrol Focus. Plenty available and a good one should be easy to find. We had one for almost 12 years and it was truly great car. No issues but in all honesty rust had been mentioned on the last MOT before we sold it so ensure you check all the old MOT's and get the car checked over as well.

Ok thanks for your reply. Yes we were looking at Focuses as well. Would you say a twelve year old Focus is a better option than 12 year old A150?

On its side it does have low mileage at 53,000. Thanks for the reply though.

Mercedes A150 - ECU problems with Mercedes A150 I'm buying - thunderbird

Ok thanks for your reply. Yes we were looking at Focuses as well. Would you say a twelve year old Focus is a better option than 12 year old A150?

Not necessarily. A battered 12 year old Focus would be a waste of money. But during your ownership it a good bet that if either car goes wrong (and they will) the Focus will cost far less to fix.

I would expect your ££££'s to buy a far newer Focus than an A150 for starters. Remember all you are buying with the Merc is that badge stuck to a very average car. The Focus is an excellent car with a Ford badge.

To be honest that's what's thrown us really. We've looked at 3 Focuses between £2200 - £2400 all with mileage between 75 and 95,000, but then found this very tidy A150 with 53,000 for £2495 and with 12 months MOT and from an established garage rather than a dealership with just a yard/parking lot. Before the ECU issue it seems like a better option. What do you think?

Mercedes A150 - ECU problems with Mercedes A150 I'm buying - Westbury33

an established garage rather than a dealership with just a yard/parking lot. -

A big shiny sign above the door with the associated expenses will not alter the fact that its an old car. No reason for this to mean their stock is any better than an indepedent trader with a less salubrious set up.

I wouldn't focus too much on mileage. I would see a 53,000 miles 12 yr old car as a negative. An annual average of 4,400 miles would indicate a lot of short runs, and that is most certainly a bad thing for a car. I would much prefer to buy a car with 120,000 on the clock with 11 service stamps. Regular use and frequent servicing are important and increase your chances of buying a better/more reliable car.

"

Ok thanks for your reply.

Mercedes A150 - ECU problems with Mercedes A150 I'm buying - SLO76
I’d leave it. ECU issues (if indeed that is what’s wrong) can be costly to fix right and no doubt on a cheap used car it’ll be repaired in the cheap. A new ECU for one of these is £2k plus from Merc for example. They’re not particularly robust cars and repairs are awkward and parts pricey. It’s not what I’d buy on a budget. Plus there’s no such thing as a refundable deposit. If you’re not sure of a car then don’t put money on it. Politely ask for your money back (hopefully they’ll oblige) and thank them for their honesty then go looking for something Japanese (not Nisssn) or possibly a Focus 1.6 petrol or a tidy Astra 1.6 petrol.
Mercedes A150 - ECU problems with Mercedes A150 I'm buying - daveyjp

I'd avoid.

It may also have water in the battery compartment which is under the driver's feet - common on W169 A class and similar B class - caused by blocked drain holes near the cabin filter at the base of the windscreen.

We have had both A and B class models and they were both brilliant for what we needed them for, but we sold before they became money pits.

Thanks for all your replies. I've taken your advice and pulled put from the sale.

Mercedes A150 - ECU problems with Mercedes A150 I'm buying - misar

If you don't fancy a Focus the Gen 2 Mazda 3 is a nice alternative. It is similar to the Focus (Ford had only recently pulled out of Mazda) but looks nicer and is very reliable (petrol only). The money you would have spent on the A150 should buy a good one several years younger.

Thanks Misar

Mercedes A150 - ECU problems with Mercedes A150 I'm buying - sammy1

This question has now appeared on the main answers column so the forum may become a bit of an after thought?

Mercedes A150 - ECU problems with Mercedes A150 I'm buying - Avant

I don't think that matters.