Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Old.Roverboy

I have emailed Avant with my comments about my site access being barred and for the sake of peace and tranquility will leave it at that.. I registered from another email adrress to post this..

So Oldroverboy is off and won't be back, though I may "lurk a bit"

Thanks to all for your comments, well meant or not, polite, or rude, gently mocking my oil selection or car choice.

It has been fun, but if site access is barred because of what i wrote to Avant about, then we are better off going our separate ways.

Adieu.

Edited by Goodbye from Oldroverboy on 19/02/2020 at 06:27

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - badbusdriver

I have emailed Avant with my comments about my site access being barred and for the sake of peace and tranquility will leave it at that.. I registered from another email adrress to post this..

Thanks to all for your comments, well meant or not, polite, or rude, gently mocking my oil selection or car choice.

It has been fun, but if site access is barred because of what i wrote to Avant about, then we are better off going our separate ways.

Adieu.

Sad too hear that ORB, hope you’ll be back at some point :-(

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - nellyjak

How strange.?...and a shame.

Hope all goes well with you.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - paul 1963

Oh dear! hope you read this ORB, I'll miss your posts if I'm honest, hope the new car is all you expect.

ps: Doubt I'll get a answer but being curious what's happened?

regards Paul

Had a reply from someone....

The new "owners" of the site don't like any critics of their own reviews or their reviewing style.,

Be fun when the viewing traffic and advertising revenue falls off.

Now this is the end.

Avant, Please ask for all my data, posts, usernames and emails and reviews to be removed under The GDPR regulations.

Edited by Goodbye from Oldroverboy on 19/02/2020 at 08:43

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - efad2

I will miss your contributions orb I hope you enjoy your new sporty I have had mine 8wks and love it so well built and comfy I am sure you will not be the last to leave if this site stop being so honest and becomes a platform for VW with its reviews

duplicate post

Edited by Goodbye from Oldroverboy on 19/02/2020 at 08:36

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Dag Hammar

That is very disappointing. I have not been a member of this forum for long but I have enjoyed reading your input. Personally I am concerned at how ‘free speech’ is being eroded in many aspects of our society, just one example is the Daily Telegraph being very selective about which of it’s articles allow comments to be posted. One would expect better from a newspaper.

Sad to see you leave ORB.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - thunderbird

Interesting to note Avant has not replied.

Perhaps he has been banned as well.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Bolt

No idea but this is interesting

www.am-online.com/news/supplier-news/2020/02/18/he...s

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - bathtub tom

Interesting Heycar state: “We launched heycar to drive greater trust and transparency for motorists and the industry."

And: "he insisted that the website would continue to deliver impartial, independent advice to its loyal following."

If ORB was defenestrated for daring to criticise the new owners, then it looks like I could be next. I wouldn't want to be part of any forum controlled by such snowflakes.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - alan1302

Maybe busy with real life?

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Engineer Andy

Maybe busy with real life?

Indeed It's worth bearing in mind that, as I believe it, Avant is not paid to be the moderator - it's a part-time volunteer job.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Chris M

Very sorry to see you go ORB.

Any motoring media, whether it be Autocar, Auto Express, DT or HJ, is there to make profit for its owners and they all have their own agenda. Take everything you read with a pinch of salt.

p.s. Having now read the link posted by bolt, it's fairly clear what the agenda is now.

Edited by Chris M on 19/02/2020 at 09:29

p.s. Having now read the link posted by bolt, it's fairly clear what the agenda is now.

Looked at the link and read this line

In the seven months since its launch in the UK market, with the backing of the Volkswagen Group and Daimler, heycar has already delivered growth for car dealer clients

So basically if you write about brands other than VAG and Daimler (presume that is Merc and Smart) you will not be wanted on here.

But what happens to those who have problems with those brands?

Guess it will be a total ban on all the Jap car fan boys.

Lol....that's me gone then.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - dan86

Looked at the link and read this line

In the seven months since its launch in the UK market, with the backing of the Volkswagen Group and Daimler, heycar has already delivered growth for car dealer clients

So basically if you write about brands other than VAG and Daimler (presume that is Merc and Smart) you will not be wanted on here.

But what happens to those who have problems with those brands?

Will HJ not be recommending the Honda Jazz as his got to car when people ask for car advice from now on even if it isn't what people are looking for.

I'm only messing around but will VAG and Mercedes be more of the suggestions people are given?

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Andrew-T

Any motoring media, whether it be Autocar, Auto Express, DT or HJ, is there to make profit for its owners and they all have their own agenda. Take everything you read with a pinch of salt.

Having also read most of Bolt's link I am of the same opinion. It won't be because I say nasty things about German cars, but I may well emulate Sajid Javid and depart with dignity. I don't like the flavour of this lot.

Very sorry to see you go ORB.

Odd how they can say they will continue to be independent, but that AM is a Bauer Media brand, who also own Parkers, a direct competitor to this website.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - madf

That is very disappointing. I have not been a member of this forum for long but I have enjoyed reading your input. Personally I am concerned at how ‘free speech’ is being eroded in many aspects of our society, just one example is the Daily Telegraph being very selective about which of it’s articles allow comments to be posted. One would expect better from a newspaper.

The DT is very open compared to the Guardian. (Which purports to be a leader in free speech)

And teh Guardian's moderation policy is MUCH stricter... if you support immigration or population controls or criticise teh Scott Trust (which own the Guardian), or the editors for being white/male/Oxbridge then your post will disappear.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Bromptonaut

So unfortunate that somebody who is a regular and frequent poster has been defenestrated.

Doesn't auger well for the future.

So unfortunate that somebody who is a regular and frequent poster has been defenestrated.

Doesn't auger well for the future.

Him being barred baffles and worries me also - I've found nothing in his comments to be particularly controvercial or warranting his account being suspeded/deleted.

I've personally seen a big increase on other wesbites, especially newspapers, of very heavy-handed moderation, seemingly following edicts from Up High about reader criticism of the editorial tone (and changes therein) and of articles themselves. As of yet, I've never seen that sort of thing here.

As I'm not aware of the particulars of ORB's case, I cannot comment, but I would hope that Avant can shed some light on what has happened, at least in general terms, especially if, as some have said, this could be part of wider and significant chages based on the apparent affiliations of the new owner of the website.

I have had great respect for the Guardian since the Miners strike in 1984. As a member of the management team at a Nottinghamshire Colliery we were rota'd the work nights, in normal times the night shift was managed by the colliery overmen.

At the end of my shift I had to report to area control the number of men that had turned up for work and the amount of coal produced. The colliery employed about 1200 men and produced about 1,000,000 tonnes a year. One week on nights the number of men was about 9 (normally would have been about 300) and the coal produced was zero (normally about 4000 tonnes), Night shift was the lowest producing shift since at least one coal face would be on maintenance (zero production) and this obviously required fewer support workers.

One morning at about 4.30 it became obvious that instead of the usual picket presence numbers were building into 3 figures meaning that the 2 Policemen present looked a little inadequate. I reported to area and you could hear the panic set in. Within 10 minutes busses of police arrived together with horses and all the men who wished to cross the picket lines were allowed to do so.

But the news on local and national radio/TV did not reflect this in any way. Basically the party line was all Nottinghamshire Collieries were working normally and production was unaffected plus all the Yorkshire Pickets had been prevented form entering the county. Obviously a total lie since the colliery I worked at produced nothing on one shift, reduced amounts on the others and the number of miners working was about 1/2 normal. The extra pickets were 100% Yorkshire men. If they could fail to notice what was happening at my colliery what was the actual truth at the other Nottinghamshire Colleiries.

The following week I bought a copy of the Guardian (which I did on occasions) and on page 3 (still have that page) there was an article about my colliery the previous week. It was absolutely spot on in every detail.

Total respect to the Guardian. Even the supposed worker supporting Mirror could not bring itself to tell the truth and the local press wore blinkers when carrying reports.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - JoeB

The following week I bought a copy of the Guardian (which I did on occasions) and on page 3 (still have that page) there was an article about my colliery the previous week. It was absolutely spot on in every detail.

Total respect to the Guardian. Even the supposed worker supporting Mirror could not bring itself to tell the truth and the local press wore blinkers when carrying reports.

We hear you, Comrade...

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - MGspannerman

How very unfortunate. ORB has always posted interesting, positive and polite posts. A gentleman in an online world that can be anything other than gentlemanly. For him to have a post deleted would seem very out of character. Perhaps it was a non-crime hate crime and his thinking needed to be corrected? Let’s look on the bright side though, all those problems with VW DSG gearboxes have suddenly been resolved!

The Guardian (and the vast majority of the legacy quality print media, including The Telegraph, which I still [just about] subscribe to) are a pale shadow of their former, pre-internet selves.

Even though I disagreed with them politically on a fundamanetal level, I often read factual news articles in that paper (as I did in all the former broadsheets) in my school library. Nowadays all of them as, in my view not just mouthpieces for their owners (who back then at least had 'viewpoints' as well as a need to make profits), but are corporate rage/clickbait merchants and activists who in no way represent most of the general population.

That's why readership is dropping like the proverbial stone and going to a multitiude of small, independent media outlets.

I just hope that this website does not follow the same path as the legacy media. If it does, it's finished.

The DT is very open compared to the Guardian. (Which purports to be a leader in free speech)

And teh Guardian's moderation policy is MUCH stricter... if you support immigration or population controls or criticise teh Scott Trust (which own the Guardian), or the editors for being white/male/Oxbridge then your post will disappear.

The Telegraph has themselves ramped up the harsh moderation of reader commentary, both generally over the last few years and especially in the last year - as evidenced by yesterday's debacle with their mods deleting comment after comment citing actual peer-reviewed scientific reports debunking part of the article and reader criticism of the them being deleted.

I'm sure some of you have seen me savaging them on my than one occasion saying they have copied the Guardian's methodology in this repsect, inclduing bending the knee on politically-correct issues to not garner hate on the woke twittersphere/TV/radio news just because its easier to deal with it.

The DT mods appear to crack down far more on criticism of themselves and the journalists/Editors and their articles than of the paper's current owners, the infamous Barclay Bros.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Smileyman

Sorry to read this, especially the circumstances you mention. You have been a regular topic contributor, always interesting if not personally relevant.

Best wishes for the future, and wish you well with the health issues discussed in the past .

Sorry to read this, especially the circumstances you mention. You have been a regular topic contributor, always interesting if not personally relevant.

Best wishes for the future, and wish you well with the health issues discussed in the past .

Thanks Smileyman,

Tiny update..

Health problems Heart, discharged from Cardio consultant. scans show no ischaemic heart disease. occasional "flutters" that I mostly can't feel.

Blood presure now in normal range, so good to know.

Had a very nice reply from HJ, (can't quote) but nothing so far from Avant,

never mind..

And having refused to buy a Sourk****mobile, I guess i'll stay unwelcome

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - John F

Good gracious me. What on earth has ORB - who has always struck me as being a civilized, mature, courteous, worldly and intelligent poster - done to antagonize the adolescent thought police? I too shall miss his contributions. I even miss skidpan! Life would be very dull without being able to debate differences of opinion.

Now that I have had a reply from HJ, It is because I criticised the Citroen video review of the C5 in this weeks current news. I believe others did too..

Any critical posts are now removed under the sites new ownership...make of that what you will.

I won't do anything so silly as to .....

Edited by Goodbye from Oldroverboy on 19/02/2020 at 11:32

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - SLO76
Be a shame to see you go old chap, you’ve always posted interesting stuff. I wish you all the best. I’ll also wait and see how things go but I’ll be off the moment I’m censored.
Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - madf

Now that I have had a reply from HJ, It is because I criticised the Citroen video review of the C5 in this weeks current news. I believe others did too..

Any critical posts are now removed under the sites new ownership...make of that what you will.

I won't do anything so silly as to .....

Well if that is teh way they continue, I for one am likely to leave ..

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - FP

This situation, as reported by ORB and amplified by others - thank you, Bolt, for the link - is appalling and disgusting.

So the new owners of HJ have egos as fragile as Trump's and loyalty to their official views is the only thing that counts.

It won't be long before others of us will go as well.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I also found the review contradictory and confusing. It was not fawning and seemed to be an individual view point.

No intention of every buying another French car though.

But the HJ info about an older C5 was spot on its gloomy accuracy. I told a friend, but he insisted on buying one because it was cheap. Needless to say, many of the reported faults occurred.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Galaxy

Sorry to hear the news, ORB. To me, you have always been a perfectly reasonable Forum Member and I can't imagine you would have done anything so serious as to be banned. I have always found your posts to be both informative and interesting.

Hope we might possibly see your return one day. You know what they say, don't you:

"You can check-out any time you like but you can never leave!"

I will now need to keep a very watchful eye on this forum, I think!

All the Best,

Galaxy

And make sure you read all this....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/terms/acceptable-use-policy/

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Gibbo_Wirral

Really sad to see you go. This is the only all-car forum I use. I like the style and I like the regulars. You will be missed.

The last Post of all - Old.Roverboy

I think that now is a good time to let go.

I emailed HJ, who was very courteous and made some quite kind remarks about my contributions and reviews, But there are other things in life, and if Mark Nicol was upset by my comments about his review, and in his mind he is unhappy, then so be it.

I won't publish them here.

It has been nice to read the comments on this thread.

Bless you all.

ORB

Avant, if you get my email...... I am sure you can delete/block posts as you wish.

Edited by Goodbye from Oldroverboy on 19/02/2020 at 12:52

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Tester

Good gracious me. What on earth has ORB - who has always struck me as being a civilized, mature, courteous, worldly and intelligent poster - done to antagonize the adolescent thought police? I too shall miss his contributions. I even miss skidpan! Life would be very dull without being able to debate differences of opinion.

Seconded! I don't contribute much here (sorry!), mainly because the regular contributors definitely know a lot more than me about motoring -- which is why I've been a keen reader for years even if I don't add much. ORB (and yourself, John F, and many others) displays/displayed a combination of knowledge, experience, and courtesy that is sadly rare in the online world. If that is to disappear, then there will be no point to the website: if we want advertorials and a consistent 'buy German' line, we know where to find it.

Thank you, ORB, and I trust that you can take comfort from the responses of your peers. Keep well, drive safely, and God bless.

Edited by Tester on 20/02/2020 at 08:11

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - piggy

My thoughts exactly. Word for word! As a Jap fan boy I think my time here is over.

My thoughts exactly. Word for word! As a Jap fan boy I think my time here is over.

Ironically this could mean that Skidpan might return, given he loves all things VAG.

Ironically this could mean that Skidpan might return, given he loves all things VAG.

I've found the site rather more pleasant without skidpan not having a go at people for disagreeing with him

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Avant

"Interesting to note Avant has not replied."

Don't be ridiculous, Thunderbird. Some of us have other things to do. I check the forum at least once, usually twice, a day, and that should be enough for anyone.

Huge apologies ORB - as others have said, you are one of our most respected contributors, someone I know I'd like if we met. Before I could protest to HJ, he had already Emailed me asking me to reinstate your account. This I have of course done.

Welcome back: as far as I'm concerned, you never left.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - FP

Thank you, Avant - this is excellent news, in contrast to some of the above.

However, I have a suspicion that ORB now has a very nasty taste lingering in his mouth and may be heading off anyway. I'm very sorry about his unpleasant experience.

I always liked his contributions and his departure would/will be a great loss.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - sammy1

Crikey just came to this crisis. Looks like VAR has come good after a straight red! Sorry to hear ORB has not been well and sincerely hope he continues to honestly contribute to the forum has he obviously enjoys the banter and discussion.

All the best

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Leif

Adieu.

Since your account has been reinstated, why not give the forum another chance, and carry on as before? Let bygones by bygones and all that.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Chris M

+1

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Manatee

Moderation is a (necessary) fact of life, we have all seen what worthless dross we have to wade through in other contexts when there is none. From time to time mistakes are made and the best one can hope for is that such mistakes are corrected as has happened here.

If I owned a forum it would it would not be fascist in its attitudes to other opinions, but it would certainly be moderated!

No point reading too much (or anything really) into this. Pleased to see ORB rehabilitated, and I hope he returns.

If we lived in China, we'd know what censorship is (that's my chance of a visa gone).

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - johncyprus

Come back ORB. I need to know your opinion of the Sportage.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Ethan Edwards

Bye ORB hope to hear from you in the future somehow. Sent from a cold and dark Colchester...

Moderation is a (necessary) fact of life, we have all seen what worthless dross we have to wade through in other contexts when there is none. From time to time mistakes are made and the best one can hope for is that such mistakes are corrected as has happened here.

If I owned a forum it would it would not be fascist in its attitudes to other opinions, but it would certainly be moderated!

No point reading too much (or anything really) into this. Pleased to see ORB rehabilitated, and I hope he returns.

If we lived in China, we'd know what censorship is (that's my chance of a visa gone).

Indeed - moderation should be, well, 'moderate', generally a light touch - the online equivalent of a 'quiet word in your shell-like', as it's often needed just to dampen the flames of a heated (but worthwhile) discussion.

Censorship is what bad people (and organisations) do to cover up the truth, often because they know the way the work will be shown up as corrupt (morally and actually) and they'll lose their position of power and authority. TBH, the UK has been heading towards the latter for some time now, but we are finally seeing a few signs of the public realising this and starting to push back.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - gordonbennet

Cor blimey, just when you thought it was safe to go out, it appears all hell has been let loose because someone didn't like or overreacted to a bit of criticism, and i have no idea whether said critique was fair or due, but if one is only allowed to praise and negative views banned then we are stuck in a modern school where all must be winners, all must have prizes.

I'm pleased HJ himself has got involved and asked for ORB's re-instatement, ORB stands as one of the gentlemen of this forum, always decent and takes any criticism of his car choices etc on the chin without getting his nickers in a twist, whoever wanted him booted out could maybe take a leaf out of ORB's book here.

If it is cheerio, i along with so many will miss you dear chap, take care of yourself and the fine YRG, when you mature into an older wiser fellow, like me? hope you come to realise that all these modern cars simply aint worth the bother and get yourself an old Landcruiser instead, for the win :-)

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - misar

Now that peace (and ORB) has been restored it may be useful to consider what apparently kicked off the storm.

I too rarely watch Mark's video reviews but I accept that the world moves on and many folk enjoy them. However, if HJ continues with the site, and has the time or inclination, why can't we have some of his reviews alongside Mark's? It has been some time since "John" was removed from Mark's video titles so the two can easily be distinguished. I cannot be the only user who still prefers the HJ style and restoring them would be in keeping with the name and URL of the website.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - expat

Like everyone else here I have enjoyed ORBs contributions to this forum and like many others I will be off if the new owners change the tone of the forum. Instead of shooting the messenger it would be much better if they listened to the message and did something about it.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - dadbif
So, based on all I have read in the preceding thread, can I assume that the forum/website will soon be renamed “ehrlicher John”?

All the best ORB

That’s me banned then....
Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - joegrundy

What just happened to HJ's post of 0953 today?

Seemed purely factual to me.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - 3mpv

Funny carry on-don't recall anything like this in all the years i've lurked here.

ORB thank you for your regular contributions-whatever you decide to do-all the best sir.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Ethan Edwards

Hi Avant. I'd be much obliged if you could email me ORBs email or let him have mine.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/134479/goodbye-to-...3 sorry there may be a better way to do this but I'm not that tech savvy!

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - edlithgow

Yes, seems odd, though of course I don't know the details, which have a way of disappearing in such circumstances.

I've been banned from two automotive fora, stupidly and arbitarily IMO of course, but in neither case did the banner have much to lose by doing it.

Thats not the case here. Whatever bad vibe they were trying to supress, they;ve created a much greater one in the attempt.

Making a more general point, it seems risky for car company marketing to engage with an automotive forum, since there might be people around who know whereof they speak and are resistant to BS, the last thing a marketeer wants.

Sponsorship for goodwill, and explicitly placed adverts OK. Beyond that, better to keep the head down, otherwise the Marketing Department risks becoming the Shooting Own Foot Department.

This would seem to be especially true for VAG, out on probation in the community after conviction for global criminal conspiracy.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/02/2020 at 00:39

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - oldroverboy.

Indeed... Would it surprise you much if I say that me with My experience has found a wealth of tips on the forum. But also from HJ, s own reviews. Tips for GAP insurance a nd car insurance too.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Galaxy

I'm very pleased to see that you've now returned, ORB.

The HJ Forum just wouldn't the same without you!

All the Very Best,

Galaxy

I'm very pleased to see that you've now returned, ORB.

The HJ Forum just wouldn't the same without you!

All the Very Best,

Galaxy

Agree..welcome home.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - bazza

Yes, welcome back! I've always found your reviews and posts about the ownership experiences of less common or alternative brands very interesting, keep them coming. But I won't be going for an MG after your tales on here! Good luck with the Kia, I suspect it will be like night and day.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - carl233

Good to see you back ORB you will be unlikely to have issues with the Kia, solid cars really. Niggles such as alloy wheel corrosion have not always been dealt with under warranty by some that try to claim but nothing major. A much better car in every respect compared to the MG and its low rent full of holes warranty.

Don't be ridiculous, Thunderbird. Some of us have other things to do. I check the forum at least once, usually twice, a day, and that should be enough for anyone.

I appreciate you have other things to do but at a volatile time with a regular and respected member being banned I would have thought that the new owners would have relied on your input to ensure a smooth changeover. Instead all they appear to have done is alienate themselves.

I have said before that a forum with the number of posts this one gets requires more than one moderator. It seems to me that the owners have been relying on one persons goodwill to provide free services for far too long.

Perhaps the new owners will sort this issue along with some support for Avant.

Please note that I do not mean heavy handed banning of members for no good reason.

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - oldroverboy.

Thunderbird,

As far as I am concerned the matter has been dealt with. I emailed HJ and Avant, and they sorted the situation out.

Thanks to both.!

Now lets get on with life.

Oldroverboy.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 22/02/2020 at 17:50

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - alan1302

I appreciate you have other things to do but at a volatile time with a regular and respected member being banned I would have thought that the new owners would have relied on your input to ensure a smooth changeover. Instead all they appear to have done is alienate themselves.

I have said before that a forum with the number of posts this one gets requires more than one moderator. It seems to me that the owners have been relying on one persons goodwill to provide free services for far too long.

Perhaps the new owners will sort this issue along with some support for Avant.

Please note that I do not mean heavy handed banning of members for no good reason.

Does the forum get a lot of posts? In comparison so other forums I am on this one is very quiet and is modded with a very light touch. What would another mod do for the forum? When have you felt another would be required?

Goodbye to all and sundry - Fallen Foul of someone? - Avant

Thank you Alan - indeed it doesn't need another one. Any reasonable person will understand that occasionally I don't get to look at till the end of a day. In ten years as the moderator, nothing has happened that is so earth-shattering that I regretted not looking at it before.

In the particular instance referred to, I was able to deal with it in the early afternoon.

@Avant

You do an excellent job as a volunteer. Very fair with the way you deal with things.

Some people in all circles of life don't seem to understand that a volunteer doesn't get paid to do things or should be at their back and call all the time.

I am a Shop steward at our place and the people that phone me out of work in the evenings or weekends with the issues expect me to drop what I'm doing at the drop of a hat to deail with (most of the time none issue that can be sorted out monday morning? Issue.

It's thanks to people such as Avant that this forum is the way it is unlike others where it can get b****y.