Volkswagen Golf - '11 Golf MkVI DSG Petrol CAXA - timing chain/cam? - RouteSwiftySwift

I'm buying a 2011 Golf Mk VI DSG Automatic Petrol CAXA engine with about 55K miles on the clock.

Serviced regularly at an independent garage every year since 2013 at approx 7K intervals. Last service at 52K in 2019. Drives smoothly though I've only done a mile or two in a test drive. Dealer doing a DSG oil change now before handover to me as there's no record of one around 40K.

I'm getting a bit worried as I've been reading reviews* that talk about reports of timing chain & cam belt failures leading to massive engine damage.

How likely are these problems on the engine & transmission I'm buying?

I will be doing only 4-6K miles a year. Mostly short trips everyday.

* See for instance reports from the review on Honest John: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-vi-2009/good/

26-5-2013: On 2009 Golf 1.4TSi 122, original chain failed at 43k, 2nd change failed at 50k. Now on its 3rd chain, tensioner, and pulleys. Along with all the hydraulic tappets now replaced, all done under warranty.

16-12-2012:
44k mile 2009 Golf 1.4TSI 122 required a new cam chain, indicating that longlife oil service regime is inadequate.

9-6-2012: Another report of dry clutch 7-speed DSG failure, this on a March 2009 1.4TSI with 34,000 miles. Quoted £4,000 for new transmission, but VW picked up more than half leaving reader with a £1,950 bill. (Admittedly this one isn't specifically about the timing/cam)

Another issue is the timing chain tensioner. It appears that at around 60,000 miles the timing chain tensioner fails, leaving slack in the timing chain allowing the chain to become loose and jump teeth. That can result in smashed valves and cylinder head damage.

Also, the negatives of this model on the Honest John review (https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-vi-2009/) state:

7-speed dry clutch DSG problems. EA189 diesel emissions problems. Chain cam 1.4 TSI problems, especially Twincharger.

Volkswagen Golf - '11 Golf MkVI DSG Petrol CAXA - timing chain/cam? - SLO76
In my opinion it’s one of the worst cars you could buy for the money. The engine is well known for timing chain problems and the gearbox is notoriously unreliable, especially the dry clutch version used in this model. I’d walk away from the deal and seek out a vastly more reliable Honda Civic 1.8 auto, preferably the post 2012 model. Don’t buy the older I-shift.

The Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv auto is a good bet too but it’ll be more money, the older 1.6 auto is robust and pleasant to drive however. A Toyota Auris 1.6/1.2T CVT is another reliable option but again avoid the MMT automated manual.

Most firms have or are in the process of giving up with these automated manual boxes (VW DSG, Ford Powershift) as they are very complex and unreliable in the case of twin clutch versions and slow witted and jerky in the case of single clutch versions. I’d stick with a conventional torque converter set up as found in the Honda Civic, Accord, Mazda 3 and 6 or a good CVT as used by Toyota in the last Auris and Avensis.
Volkswagen Golf - '11 Golf MkVI DSG Petrol CAXA - timing chain/cam? - medview

As a previous owner of a 61 plate DSG 1.4TSI I would never recommend this transmission as it will eventually fail. The clutch design was upgraded in 2012 however a MK7 is a slightly safer prospect.

I got a new clutch under warrantee at 30k miles but it required a DSG software update which increased the hydraulic clutch pressure. The increased pressure eventually killed the mechatronics unit at 70k miles.

I spent 2k on repairs; so beware!

I never had any issues with the timing chain or cam.

Joe

Volkswagen Golf - '11 Golf MkVI DSG Petrol CAXA - timing chain/cam? - RouteSwiftySwift

I got a new clutch under warrantee at 30k miles but it required a DSG software update which increased the hydraulic clutch pressure. The increased pressure eventually killed the mechatronics unit at 70k miles

Thanks Joe. Why did you need to get a new clutch at 30K? Did you already start seeing transmission problems at this point?

Volkswagen Golf - '11 Golf MkVI DSG Petrol CAXA - timing chain/cam? - medview

Yes there was clutch judder in reverse and second gears under certain driving conditions.

As a matter of interest this dry clutch transmission is also used with the 1.6 Diesel and with the extra torque is must be even more marginal than the 1.4TSI application.

Joe

Thanks for your reply SLO76.

Is the DSG always a dry clutch or something specific to CAXA engines/1.4 TSI 122PS?

Higher output cars like the 2.0 TSi GTi etc use a wet clutch which is supposedly more robust but there are plenty of cases of failure to be found especially with the Golf R. I can’t advise anyone to buy an automated manual gearbox of any kind. I’d leave the Golf or any VAG model wet or dry clutch and seek out something more robust, if you absolutely must have a Golf then you want a belt driven post 2014 1.4 TSi with a manual box.

Thanks SLO76

SLO76, is the Honda Civic a CVT?

Say a 2010 1.8 i-VTEC ES 5dr?

Also, do all Ford Focus automatics come with Powershift, or is there a more reliable automatic available in the Focus?

You have to be careful with the Civic as some up to 2009-2010 did have the i-shift box but I believe most were 1.4’s, could be wrong there but at 2010/2011 the 1.8 will almost certainly be a torque converter box.

The Focus was fine in Mk II form as all were conventional torque converter boxes I believe but the Mk III’s are all Powershift from day one. The Mk II is very robust with either the Yamaha 1.6 petrol or the Mazda 2.0 they typically come with in auto form.

The Mazda 3 is a good bet here again but it’s not as powerful or as efficient as the Civic. It does however handle and steer better but it’s down to personal preferences. I’d pick on condition and history above all.

Tell me where roughly you are and what budget you have and I’ll look for recommendations.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/01/2020 at 22:43