Fiat 500 - Need some advice - Fiat500Lover

Hello everyone,

I would like a bit of advice if someone wouldn't mind?

I'm looking for a Fiat 500 2012 up to 2015 if I can find a decent one for the right price.

I wanted a twin air but someone said they are too much trouble to repair as costs double, is this correct?

I like the idea of the small engine, no tax and my parking permit will be less than £40 a year.

I want a reliable car and cheap to maintain, to keep it tip top condition.

So any advice would be great.

Thanks all.

Fiat 500 - Need some advice - SLO76
Great little cars these, I’m quite a fan. But as with all things on wheels of Italian decent keep it as simple as possible. Forget the troublesome and surprisingly thirsty but fun twin air and stick with the old but simple and robust 1.2 petrol. It isn’t going to win any drag races but it’s eager enough to be fun. Pre April 2017 cars are £20 to tax anyway so it’s no worry. Buy on condition, history and look for low mileage as these drop off a cliff reliability and value wise as they get past 60,000 miles.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/01/2020 at 00:52

Fiat 500 - Need some advice - elekie&a/c doctor
Always good advice from Mr Slo . I would add a few more pointers. Stick to the 1.2 petrol with the standard 5 speed box . However, these can be troublesome, so check for noises and correct gear selection . Also minor electrical gremlins , broken wiring into the tailgate can cause all sorts of issues with the rear wash wipe and unlocking system . Broken exterior door handles (common) and front suspension bushes are a known weak point . ( check Mot history).

Thank you so much Eleckie.

Some great points there too. I was actually going to look at one with an advisory about a worn suspension bush, should I steer clear?

Also one that had a slight misting on shock absorbers, I didn't like the sound of it.

:o)

Thank you so much SLO76

Great to hear and nice to know someone praises them. One thing I forgot to ask is I have heard you need to change the cambelt? timing chain? by 50,000.

I'm female and don't know too much about the mechanical side, totally agree on condition, history and low mileage though.

I will let you know when I find my perfect one :o)

Fiat 500 - Need some advice - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s a cam belt on these. Not a difficult job . At this age , all of these will be suffering front suspension bush wear. Don’t let that put you off , however I would get a quote to do the job as the front bumper has to come off .
Fiat 500 - Need some advice - catsdad
Isn't the cambelt on the 500 a bargain at official Fiat prices. I seem to recall HJ mentioning it.

While I agree the twin air is probably to be avoided I know someone who has had one from new since 2013 and it's never missed a beat. He does change the oil every six months though so maybe that's the secret.
Fiat 500 - Need some advice - badbusdriver

While I agree the twin air is probably to be avoided I know someone who has had one from new since 2013 and it's never missed a beat. He does change the oil every six months though so maybe that's the secret.

Probably a bit like any other so called 'problem engine' (Ford Ecoboost, Mazda 2.2 diesel, etc). Statistically there are bound to be folk (lots, given the amount sold) out there who have had no problems whatsoever, same for the dual clutch gearboxes. But it is about minimising the chances of having a problem, especially buying used (at least outwith warranty) where you will have little comeback.

Hello badbusdriver,

I hope you're not ;o)

Yes exactly, minimising the chances of any problems, or problems that it may have already, It is so hard to find an honest seller. And someone who sells at realistic prices and not greed.

I've seen 2008's priced at near £4000 and some over.

Hello Catsdad,

I guess some get lucky, especially if they keep up with the servicing etc.

All I need is a reliable car. At present I have a 2003 Nissan micra that has served me well up until a while ago. It's now going to be a money pit as needs some work. So time to move on for me, would be great for someone who can work on it.

I'm getting silly offers on it and the engine is sound and just over 46000 on it.

Thanks for your input :o)

Fiat 500 - Need some advice - FiestaOwner
At present I have a 2003 Nissan micra that has served me well up until a while ago. It's now going to be a money pit as needs some work. So time to move on for me, would be great for someone who can work on it.

I'm getting silly offers on it and the engine is sound and just over 46000 on it.

Your Micra is 17 years old. Most cars are scrapped by this age. No one is going to give you a good price as they will be worried that the next MOT will render the car as uneconomic to repair (and will have to scrap it).

Checking the MOT history website I see that my Micra (1999) was scrapped at under 11 years old.

A car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

Wish you luck with your next purchase and hope you get a car which serves you as well as the Micra did.

That's good to hear. I will get a quote on this.

Thanks for the heads up Eleckie.

Fiat 500 - Need some advice - badbusdriver

I've seen 2008's priced at near £4000 and some over.

Am i understanding that right, you have seen 2008 Fiat 500's for sale at £4k or above?.

Are you sure?, i have just looked on Autotrader and there are a number of 2014/2015 cars available for £4k, such as this bonny red one with under 30k miles,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191124469...1

The odd ones with low mileage and good bodywork.

I look on lots of sites, traders are the worst for overpricing, I am going to see a 2012 Fiat 500, the fella wants £3775 with 55000 miles, I thought that was an ok price, this is the one that I mentioned previously with the advisory about the worn bushes.

I have also seen 2014 and 2015 overpriced

Fiat 500 - Need some advice - Andrew-T

traders are the worst for overpricing,

You can't really blame them as they have to make a living like anyone else, as well as paying overheads, business rates, warranty cover, etc. - which a private seller can ignore. The main gripe people make against traders is the porkies they come up with, or the duties they shirk. Those that don't, earn Blue Peter badges (I'm sure most of us remember those) ?

And don't forget that prices can vary quite widely with location in the UK.

Edited by Andrew-T on 17/01/2020 at 09:35

Fiat 500 - Need some advice - catsdad
Fiat500lover just a thought, have you looked at the Ford Ka of the same age? It's the same car underneath but hasn't the same cachet so you might find it a bit cheaper. As Ford have discontinued you may also get a good offer at a Ford dealer as they will be keen to move on obsolete stock.

Thanks Andrew, I know. It's just frustrating when you have a strict budget.

Traders seem lazy too. I phoned up about a Fiat 500 and they didn't have the first page of the Logbook. Said they could give me a form to take to the post office. Why couldn't they just get a new one and do it properly.

Said one owner on the ad and then the guy said 3 owners, makes me think whatelse could be wrong.

Catsdad...I have looked at Ford Ka's I do like them, It was actually between the fiat, KA and Citroen c1 the newer chunky shaped one.

I will hopefully find the right one soon :o)

Edited by Fiat500Lover on 17/01/2020 at 20:00

Fiat 500 - Need some advice - SLO76
“ Traders seem lazy too. I phoned up about a Fiat 500 and they didn't have the first page of the Logbook. Said they could give me a form to take to the post office. Why couldn't they just get a new one and do it properly.”

Never buy a car from anyone if the V5 isn’t present. It’s most likely they’re hiding an issue on it (no of owners possibly) or they’ve sold the car and it’s been returned for a problem and the V5 hasn’t come back yet. In a private sale if there’s no V5 you can’t verify ownership or that they’re not a fly trader. Again no V5 no buy.

Hi SLO76

Yes, totally put me off! Something to hide.

Last thing I need.