Audi A5 - Noise coming from air condition unit.... - Chris07

I had an issue with air condition on my 2.0ltr 59 plate Audi A5. The garage i took car for repair diagnosed air condition unit would need to be replaced. I was told that new air con unit from Audi parts dealership would cost me in the region of £900 , however he could fit new air con unit that was not from Audi dealer for £400. The job was completed using non parts and everything worked again as normal. After driving car for a day or two i noticed a strange intermittent rattle/noise coming from air con unit so I took car straight back to the garage to find out what this noise can be.The car was returned to me the next day with the owner of the garage explaining that the air condition bottle needed to be refilled after fitting and that this will stop the strange intermittent noise i was hearing. I was also advised that it was common practice to leave air con on permanently in the vehicle..?? I questioned this as air con runs on fuel and was told that for the amount of fuel used it would still be in my best interest to leave air con on permanently. I was not convinced about leaving air con on permanently but noise was gone everything worked again as it should and off i went...(with air con off) I didn't even get car home but intermittent rattle/noise was back again, I wondered why I was given the speech about leaving air con on permanently in the first place so I turned it on and sure enough the annoying intermittent noise coming from air con didnt go away but it did however ease slightly and was maybe not just as frequent as before . Has anyone ever heard of this type of issue with air con... Can it be repaired..?

Audi A5 - Noise coming from air condition unit.... - elekie&a/c doctor
Doesn’t sound right to me . There should be no noticeable noise difference between the system being on or off. This car uses a variable load pump so its performance is related to the demand /load on the system. At this time of year, the difference in fuel consumption will be minimal. I would say the garage have not a done a satisfactory repair.

Thanks for the reply a/c doctor, I don't think the garage done a satisfactory job either. Could it be that it's not genuine Audi parts causing noise, or has it not been fitted correctly..? To try explain bit more noise is like a whirring sound as if something trying to start but can't.

Remember , as with any car maker, they don’t make all the parts themselves. The original Audi pump is likely to be a Denso unit . Hopefully the garage have fitted this make part, but likely to be not in an original Audi box. Nothing wrong with that . However, there are loads of recon or reman units out there that may not be up to the same quality. My other concern is what was wrong with the original pump, ? Perhaps it failed due to another underlying issue that the garage have not identified.

The original issue was not that the air con wasn't working but that the air con unit had moved position slightly and was constantly rattling off the fan belt rather loudly. Don't even know if it was faulty pump or not was just told new unit was required to solve problem.

Sounds like the front hub bearing had collapsed causing the pulley to run out of true. Still think there is a problem with the replacement pump.

OK I'll get replacement pump checked out soon as I can, thanks again for all your advice a/c doctor it was much appreciated... ??

PS.... Two question marks at end last sentence was supposed to be a thumbs up emoji.... Thanks again