MG HS 2020 1.5 T 6 speed manual - What a step up in quality! - oldroverboy.

My ZS was in for servicing the yesterday, and was loaned the HS demonstrator. Had a good drive around, A14 and local roads.

My oh MY,

What a step up. Interior really nice, (not sure about those "leather" seats) but better insulated and quieter on the road. Centre console and switches looks top class.

Never thought !'d say that but the base model (which doesn't have DAB radio) is a positive steal at £17995.

HMMM!

Edited by oldroverboy. on 10/12/2019 at 17:44

MG HS 2020 1.5 T 6 speed manual - What a step up in quality! - johncyprus
Very interesting ORB. That’s seems to be amazing value for £17,995.
I’ve just read the Autocar review and they grudgingly give it 3 out of 5. What was the spec of the HS you were loaned?
Very interesting ORB. That’s seems to be amazing value for £17,995. I’ve just read the Autocar review and they grudgingly give it 3 out of 5.

What was the spec of the HS you were loaned?

It only got 3 out of 5 because it wasn't an Audi or BMW or Merc... (Possibly)

The model i drove was the Exclusive.

The base explore model is at £17.995 and has all the toys i would need, except DAB radio and i won't pay £2500 extra for the one thing that i would like. It also has more sensible 17" wheels.

I had a good look at it too, not harassed by the sales manager, was left to go off on my own, (take as long as you want...)

Fit and Finish as good as Kia/Hyundai.

MG HS 2020 1.5 T 6 speed manual - What a step up in quality! - badbusdriver

Probably, not possibly!.

But i have my suspicions you were loaned that car as a deliberate ploy.......!

Probably, not possibly!.

But i have my suspicions you were loaned that car as a deliberate ploy.......!

I too have my suspicions, but no need to worry. SLO76 was entirely right that depreciation would be savage, and it has been!!! (or would have been if i chose to swap)

The base model does not have DAB radio, which is one of the few things I do like on a "modern" car, but that would mean £2500 more for an "Excite" which sadly has bigger "bling" wheels as well.

So £21000 for something that'll be about £13000 in 2 years time plus the £8500 initial offer for mine... is a lot of lolly for nothing much extra.

But, It does look and feel a lot better and is a nicer place to be, sadly not for ORB the OAP!

MG HS 2020 1.5 T 6 speed manual - What a step up in quality! - carl233

Seems reasonable compared to the crazy and insane list prices for some vehicles. What is the Euro Ncap result though has this been done? MG should be hoping for 5 stars but previous MG vehcles have not performed well compared to other offerings. Is the bodywork perforation warranty on this model still a lack of confidence 6 year duration?

Even the base models have MG Pilot which is a suite of driver aids

Active Emergency Braking with Pedestrian and Bicycle Detection • • •

Lane Keep Assist (LKA) with Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)D

Intelligent Speed Limit Assist • • •

Blind Spot Detection (BSD) • • • Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) • • •

Intelligent High Beam Assist

So should be better...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 11/12/2019 at 19:05

MG HS 2020 1.5 T 6 speed manual - What a step up in quality! - Avant

It's the usual thing - the MG doesn't handle on twisty B-roads as well as a BMW. The testers - mostly young men in a hurry - can't get their heads round that this isn't the quality that everyone is looking for, espcecially if they're buying an SUV.

I should imagine that MGs are very good value for cash purchasers, less so for PCPs as they don't hold their value very well. (That might get better if the XS and HS improve MG's reputation.) Even better value for canny buyers like ORB who buys fast-depreciating cars nearly-new and gets good service out of them.

Avant, the thing is that for the ZS at least, which is a "compact" SUV and is quite light, I have found that if I push it a bit it actually goes rather well, perhaps not like a2 series or a golf, but does ok.

For obvious reasons i wasn't going to throw a brand new demonstrator around in the same way. The HS is a good bit bigger and a lot heavier too.