Chevrolet Kalos - Chevrolet Kalos Problems - Please Help - Beryl Kalos

I have a 2006 Chevrlolet Kalos with 69000 on the clock. I use it just around town about 3 times a week. Last year it started with an issue. It starts up OK and then within a few minutes starts shuddering and looses power then the hold and engine light come on. Turn off and the hold light goes off. I took it to the garage who did an Italian tune and that seemed to work. About 9 months later it started again but this time a bit worse and most days the hold light will come on two or three times. Oh yes the fuel consumption is up to and the revs seem to be high.

I have used injector cleaner in the system which has helped a bit.

Once it has been going for about 10/15 minutes it settles down and is fine.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Elvina

Chevrolet Kalos - Chevrolet Kalos Problems - Please Help - elekie&a/c doctor
Don’t think anyone is going to be able to guess what’s wrong . What testing has been done . An Italian tune up is not very scientific.
Chevrolet Kalos - Chevrolet Kalos Problems - Please Help - Railroad.

Your engine has sticking exhaust valves. It's a very common issue on this, and your description of the symptoms is EXACTLY what happens. It's fine on start up but loses power after a mile or so. It eventually clears and it's fine until you start it from cold next time. A good rag up the road cures it for a few days but then it's back. The fault code stored is P0300 - Random Multiple Misfire, because that's exactly what it is.

You'll need to remove the cylinder head and remove the valves. The valve guides will need to be reamered and the exhaust valves replaced with new modified ones. You should be able re-use the inlet valves but it would be worth re-facing and re-lapping them. I appreciate this probably isn't a DIY job for you so you will need to go to a garage or engine machinist, preferably one that has previous experience of this problem.

Once this repair has been carried out this fault should be cured.

Chevrolet Kalos - Chevrolet Kalos Problems - Please Help - Beryl Kalos

Thanks very much, that is really useful and I will get the car to the garage with your info. Thanks again

Chevrolet Kalos - Chevrolet Kalos Problems - Please Help - Railroad.

Thanks very much, that is really useful and I will get the car to the garage with your info. Thanks again

A word of advice. Make sure that the garage you use know about this problem and how to solve it. The exhaust valves on this engine were modified for this very reason. Fitting a new set of the original valves or failing to reamer the valve guides could leave you with the fault not being cured, and you would've paid a garage a lot of money for nothing. It may be best to consult a Chevrolet dealer who would doubtless have done this before.

Having said that the work involved will be costly and you may find it won't be worth doing on a car of this age. That of course though is entirely your choice.

Keep us posted. I'd be interested to know how you get on.