Smart Motorways? - gordonbennet

So much for the efficiency of our smart motorway network camera coverage and rapid response.

Yesterday, Saturday, M6 south just below jct 13 4 lane running no warnings, car stopped presumably broken down on live left lane.

Today, Sunday, M1 south around jct 29 4 lane running, no warnings, car stopped presumably broken down on live left lane.

Dunno about you lot but i'm unsure about these so called smart motorways and thgink the dangers outweigh the benefits, very happy with the 4 lane section M1 between Nottm and Mansfield and some of the newer M25 sections, just as they should be 4 permanent running lanes and a good wide hard shoulder for emergencies..fortunately both days very few lorries on the road, good visibility dry conditions, that brings to 7 now the memorable stopped unwarned of vehicles i've come across on fast moving smart motorways, all the rest have been in the west mids section at busy times in dangerous stretches.

Just to note, i know you lot will be interested, both vehicles were RangeRovers, yesterdays was disgracefully, new model unknown cos they all look the same to me, todays was an ageing P38 and that old warrior is entitled to the odd hiccup.

Smart Motorways? - Smileyman

report in today's Mail that a widow is taking legal action against Highways for the death of her husband who was killed whilst on a smart motorway.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7415399/Plans-roll-smart-motorways-dealt-blow-four-people-die-M1-10-months.html

I wince at the thought of a breakdown or other emergency whilst on a smart motorway, its a death trap and what upsets me most of all is that it is only through tragedies that the harsh reality will become clear to the blinkered who are responsible .. needless deaths and what a colossal waste of public money.

Smart Motorways? - Sparrow

I find the smart motorways harder to drive in. You have to watch out for sudden closures of the LH lane past junctions. This causes traffic build and defeats the object of having the extra lane. As I found out on the M25 last Sunday, anticlockwise from M26 to M3, the smart sections still were start stop for miles. Capacity may have improved a little, vut my no means enough. We need to expand our motorways properly to provide capacity, and also to make them as safe as we can. Smart motorways. Bad idea. Waste of money.

Smart Motorways? - Mike H

Not sure if they were responsible for the introduction, but there are quite a few of them in Germany. I haven't seen any negative feedback. I gather from what I read that part of the issue in the UK is the lack of automation in spotting broken down vehicles when the hard shoulder is being used as a running lane. Are the Germans better at this perhaps? I haven't come across any in Austria where we live, but they're a little more conservative here, with an overall 130kph limit, except for a few stretches of 140kph on the A1 between Salzburg and Vienna. There is also a variable section round Salzburg to provide some protection against emissions, which switches between 80kph (50mph) and 100kph (62mph) depending on traffic and weather conditions.

Smart Motorways? - Big John

To be honest smart signage working well on the M1 today with a broken down motorhome and lots of signs to say lane closed - earlier signs were amber, later ones red. Of course there was still a numpty that then zoomed up the closed lane with an "E" euro plate which I think is from Spain. Don't think there was a language issue - a big red X with and arrow I would class as universal.

However I still hate the lack of a hard shoulder having once needing one when the oil pump drive shaft failed on my old Capri 2.0 many moons ago - even with a hard shoulder, on a dark very wet evening it was not something I'd want to repeat. On a smart motorway if this happened when dark and lashing it down I think it could go wrong very quick indeed.

If you break down and your service record is less than perfect would this be a problem re prosecution - especially if someone is injured or killed?

Smart Motorways? - sammy1

The lack of a hard shoulder has got to be more dangerous than your regular motorway.

What irritates me is when the smart mway is quieter, the two inner lanes tend to be used less than the outer ones, it is almost like lane 3 has become the middle lane of the 4 and there is more undertaking or you have to go to lane 4 to overtake.

Smart Motorways? - RT

The lack of a hard shoulder has got to be more dangerous than your regular motorway.

What irritates me is when the smart mway is quieter, the two inner lanes tend to be used less than the outer ones, it is almost like lane 3 has become the middle lane of the 4 and there is more undertaking or you have to go to lane 4 to overtake.

At off-peak times, I often find myself alone in lane 1 doing 70 with an empty lane to my right and then traffic using lanes 3 & 4 - but even on conventional 3-lane motorways I perceive that lane discipline has got worse over the years, not that it was ever good to start with.

Smart Motorways? - badbusdriver

When i read posts like this, it does make me glad to live where i do!. My nearest 'official' motorway is the M90 at Perth (i say official as it has only 2 lanes, so just a glorified dual carriageway that you can't turn right off of!), which is more than 120 miles away from me. In order to find more than 2 lanes, i'd have to go even further down to the Glasgow area.

Smart Motorways? - Bromptonaut

While that seems intuitively to be the case the hard shoulder is a damn dangerous place. AA/RAC are, or at least were until recently, losing a couple of patrolmen every year on the hard shoulder. People killed in case reported in Telegraph/Mail over weekend, were not tail ended by immediately following vehicles. They'd been stopped for some time before being hit by a truck when it's driver failed to see them. That seems to be a common theme, the same happened in the other examples quoted in that report. Probably Death by Dangerous charges to follow.

So far as i can see there's still no Smart M/way specific advice in the highway code. If that's right it is an absolute disgrace. The government to to remedy that pdq and get moving with advice/information on TV and social media particularly covering need to get to a refuge if at all possible before stopping for a mechanical fault. Same if you have a minor coming together with another vehicle.

That's not smart specific; it's normal M/way behaviour.

Smart Motorways? - RT

Hard shoulders are dangerous places to break down - smart motorways are even more dangerous places to break down or have an accident, especially if the driver can't get to an emergency refuge - allegedly, it can take up to 20 minutes for a camera operator to notice that a vehicle is stranded.

Smart Motorways? - Engineer Andy

Hard shoulders are dangerous places to break down - smart motorways are even more dangerous places to break down or have an accident, especially if the driver can't get to an emergency refuge - allegedly, it can take up to 20 minutes for a camera operator to notice that a vehicle is stranded.

Indeed, and hardly the definition of 'smart'. Imagine if that person trying to reach a refuge point has difficulty walking, a parent with young children, etc? And in bad weather or at night? It's bad enough for the rest of us with such issues to contend with.

Smart Motorways? - RichT54

I've not driven much on smart motorways recently, but when they first were installed on the M25 I noticed a lot of people would ignore the signs for a closed lane and then have to make rapid lane changes when they got close to the obstruction. I think the problem was made worse because the signs were not cleared quickly after the road was cleared and people would think it was a false alarm.

I believe the government have introduced £100 fines a couple of months ago, for drivers who ignore closed lanes. I wonder how much they are being enforced?

I've not driven much on smart motorways recently, but when they first were installed on the M25 I noticed a lot of people would ignore the signs for a closed lane and then have to make rapid lane changes when they got close to the obstruction. I think the problem was made worse because the signs were not cleared quickly after the road was cleared and people would think it was a false alarm.

I believe the government have introduced £100 fines a couple of months ago, for drivers who ignore closed lanes. I wonder how much they are being enforced?

I've seen that a lot on the M25 as well, but they should be able to easily enforce it because the road has so many gantries with both the matrix signs and cameras, as part of the variable speed limit system.

The problem as you say is that the slow-to-clear restrictions mean that a 'boy who cried wolf' situation rapidly appears, whereby people ignore the signs, especially 40mph speed limits when they suddenly come in from it being 70 before. This can be really bad for those of us who do obey them when you have an HGV driver behind (or anyone tail-gating for that matter) who doesn't.

The problem as you say is that the slow-to-clear restrictions mean that a 'boy who cried wolf' situation rapidly appears, whereby people ignore the signs, especially 40mph speed limits when they suddenly come in from it being 70 before. T

Not minimising the problem of slow to clear alerts but just because you didn't see anything doesn't mean they were false/late clearances. Reported Debris could have been removed by traffic officers, pedestrians have left the carriageway or location of the reported breakdown or horses on road was vague.

Speed limit may be reduced because of drivers rubber necking off motorway distractions - seen that more than once where a 'Police Incident' or Fire close to M6 round Brum is likely.

If there's a warning you take it seriously and at least up your observation a notch.

The problem as you say is that the slow-to-clear restrictions mean that a 'boy who cried wolf' situation rapidly appears, whereby people ignore the signs, especially 40mph speed limits when they suddenly come in from it being 70 before. T

Not minimising the problem of slow to clear alerts but just because you didn't see anything doesn't mean they were false/late clearances. Reported Debris could have been removed by traffic officers, pedestrians have left the carriageway or location of the reported breakdown or horses on road was vague.

Speed limit may be reduced because of drivers rubber necking off motorway distractions - seen that more than once where a 'Police Incident' or Fire close to M6 round Brum is likely.

If there's a warning you take it seriously and at least up your observation a notch.

Perhaps, but on some occasions this has happened, I've been driving with colleagues further up the road (I'm not a fast driver) who later confirmed to me the similar lack of any traffic vehicle 5 or 10 minutes prior. And a reported breakdown would surely be seen and confirmed first before setting the speed limit down.

This has happened too often and on roads WITH a hard shoulder for it to be that explanation every time.

A good example is a regular 40 limit on the M25 by the Rickmansworth junctions (anti-clockwise 17/18), and yet before and after, the road is completely clear, because its early on a non-holiday Saturday morning (daylight). I could understand it if there was heavy traffic ahead coming up to the next junction at the M40, but the limit goes back up to 70 staright after junction 18. No reason. I've never come across an accident when passing (no rubbernecking) when this has happened.

I think they either make mistakes or forget to remove speed limits further back once a traffic jam has cleared. I see that a lot on 'old' dual carriageways where they forget to remove the central reservation speed limits. My sat nav on my phone have often been far more up to date after reports come in that any (much earlier) restriction/jam/accident has been cleared away.

I think the staff have too much to do, especially on the smart motorways, but also having to put up those silliy 'blindingly obvious' signs to 'take a break'. I also think the staff are also way too risk averse and sometimes 'take their time' (different to being thorough), rather like the Police who close roads for sometimes many hours when our continental friends still manage to do all the SOCO work, remove damaged vehcicles and make the road safe/useable and get traffic moving in way under half the time

I've seen a good few incidents where many those involved in such matters seem to be jovially nattering away, cup of tea in hand as if they are having a nice long break. Odd how rarely I see them actually doing anything useful. I've come across this locally where there are numerous accidents on the local dual carriageway, and this happens when the officers could be setting up diversions and waving traffic down alternate routes and avoiding huge queues building up quickly. On one occasion, I to intervene to polietly ask one officer to go and help up the end of the local bypass in this regard as he was chatting about something amusing to a colleague whilst doing nothing else.

Not exactly 'smart' all round, especially when they are doing this in full view of the public who are frustrated by the delays.

I wonder how much they are being enforced?

Oddly enough, this weekend i saw numerous flashes on the other carriageway from those speed cameras mounted on the ns post, can't say as i've noticed camera flashes for quite a while and i'm on the motorways most days, so maybe the system has been reset in some way...these weren't lane restricted flashes but obviously speed related but i expect the same cameras will be capturing both.

By the way my typical motorway cruise speed is 53mph in the lorry, it will go faster but 53 is a nice speed overall and keeps me out of the bunching and pushing and shoving to some extent, it's surprising just how fast you are approaching a stationary vehicle where you don't expect to find one even at that speed and not stuck right up the back side of someone else who in turn is tailgating.

Won't it be fun when a platoon of 4 electronically linked lorries all doing 50mph some 10ft from each other suddenly find a surprise stationary vehicle in their lane, i bet that scenario doesn't feature in the much talked about trials.

Smart Motorways? - Andrew-T

Not sure if they were responsible for the introduction, but there are quite a few of them in Germany. I haven't seen any negative feedback.

But of course German cars don't break down, so there should be no problem ... :-)

Taking a different view though, the problem of stalled cars in the slow lane is an enlarged version of rounding a bend on an A-road to find the same thing - a stalled car forcing a sudden stop or an unplanned overtake. It's just that we have come to expect unobstructed laminar flow on a motorway (where the view ahead should be much better).

Smart Motorways? - Terry W

Smart motorways are anything but smart.

They are simply a cheapskate solution to increase traffic volumes (slightly), whilst adding immeasurably to the danger from broken down vehicles, and risk of non-compliance when the smart motorway transforms itsself into a hard shoulder.

Far better to cancel HS2 and spend £100bn on improving the road network!

If you cancel HS2 how do you deal with the capacity issue on the legacy railways to Euston, King Cross and, to a slightly lesser extent, St Pancras?

If you cancel HS2 how do you deal with the capacity issue on the legacy railways to Euston, King Cross and, to a slightly lesser extent, St Pancras?

I'd rather try and reduce demand for long commutes, which means looking at policy-making across the board, including general pressure on infrastructure. All HS2 will do is make the ecomony more London-centric by encouraging more people to live well away from the capital and commute there. The same goes with endlessly widening roads.

We need to encourage businesses and people to both live and work in areas away from the capital by improving infrastructure and the local areas (including reducing crime), but also to encourage usage of technology such as phone and video conferencing instead of people going to face-to-face meetings all the time (I agree that sometimes you have to go).

Many firms I've worked for over the years have gradually reduced their number of offices outside of London and increased their presence in the capital, and yet they (and their employees) are no better off because they pay far more to work there when you take into account commuting and property rental costs.

Many provincial parts of the UK, even some in the South East are crying out for their local road and rail networks to be updated and capacity-reducing pinch points to be removed - one big one near me is the East Coast Main Line at Welwyn North where it goes down from 4 to 2 tracks for about 2-3 miles through two tunnels and across a long viaduct. I'm sure there are many more that slow down services all over the UK and increase delays and journey times.

I'd also love for a lot of that money to be spent repairing our pothole-ridden roads and removing pointless speed humps (which cause more damage [physical to roads and buildings, as well as more CO2 etc] than they save, especially as most motorists ignore them anyway). Some areas are in a terrible state, leading to us having to spend much more money on vehicle repairs and councils who now spend more on compensating vehicle onwers for damage than they do on the street repairs themselves! Crazy.

bring back LMS ... a 3rd route between London and Yorkshire - and presumably Scotland (S being the clue)

Smart Motorways? - Andrew-T

<< bring back LMS ... a 3rd route between London and Yorkshire - and presumably Scotland (S being the clue) >>

Do you mean the Great Central (largely gone) or the BedPan line (which I think stops somewhere near Kettering) ?

Smart Motorways? - barney100

I can't see anything but danger in having no motorway hard shoulder. It's dangerous enough when you need to pull over on a hard shoulder for whatever reason, I think the advice was to get to a place of safety as up a bank or well into an adjacent field. Now it's a lottery as to if you make it to one of those refuges.

Part of the problem is there is usually no run off possible to the left of the live lane, ie armco where there is no need for it, had they levelled the ground to the left of the carriageway even a bit it would allow those with some nous, in cars and light vehicles generally, to use the last few moments of momentum to roll the vehicle off the carriageway.

No this won't mean lorries can get off the road, but if the killer vehicle with the blinkered driver does hit said lorry at least it will be said blinkered driver suffering (Darwinism in action) and not the poor innocents which is who are in danger now more than ever.

Of course there will always be sections, ie M6 elevated, where restrictions of room mean nothing much can be done, but for hundreds of other miles of motorway something needs to be done and soon, at the very least refuges should be every half a mile at the very mos as well as allowing rolls offs where possible.

It doesn't matter if rolling the vehicle onto the soft ground means its stuck afterwards, that can be sorted by the breakdown vehicle when it arrives and the HA have put the lane closures and speed limits in place, what matters is having somewhere as safe as possible to escape to in the moments following breakdown.

Smart Motorways? - carl233

It is all about risk, not having a hard shoulder increases risk, even if the 'smart' aspect is well managed to direct traffic away from a broken down vehicle there is still increased risk e.g. things to go wrong. If safety and human life are important compared to money there should be an area of safety that is constant within the carriageway.

My fear of carnage on a smart motorway has gone up ... yesterday I called 999 after seeing a dangerous situation on the M40/M25 junction. Unfortunately the 999 operator was hopeless, asked me questions I could not answer and others that were totally irrelevant. 2 minutes 45 seconds later the situation still had not been assessed, by this time any stationary vehicle would have been destroyed and passengers corpses.

That was my second 999 call in a week, the first was on the M25 in Essex, a large bumper on the carriageway in lane 2, I gave the operator a description of the problem, and even the nearby gantry reference number but still he could not cope. Where are these people found, what training are they given???

That was my second 999 call in a week, the first was on the M25 in Essex, a large bumper on the carriageway in lane 2, I gave the operator a description of the problem, and even the nearby gantry reference number but still he could not cope. Where are these people found, what training are they given???

999 operators are to get you to relevant service. Even once you're through to Police or Ambulance control it can be difficult. About 12 years ago a colleague had a fit in the office kitchenette. I phoned an ambulance while another staff member went to find the first aider. Office was in Chancery Lane, main thoroughfare of 'Legal London', but had a hell of a game being quizzed as to precise location.

In meantime the 'patient' was back on his feet. He was diabetic and had cocked up his food/insulin. First Aider somehow understood and found necessary sugar, once she got it down him it was like a switch being flicked.

Something on highway is probably better reported directly to Highways Agency/Traffic England as it'll be the Traffic Wombles who are dispatched to remove debris and their control room that sorts out gantries.

Smart Motorways? - nick62

I would suggest the problem is because of completely inexperienced telephone operators (and in their mitigation, they probably get into big trouble if they don't "follow the script")?

Common sense is in serious short supply, (look in the HoP for a good example).

Smart Motorways? - Chris M

The inquest is currently underway into the fatal crash on the M4 last October where a HGV drove into the back of a school minibus. Three staff died and two staff with life changing injuries. The bus had only just broken down and the hard shoulder had been blocked off by temporary barriers for maintenance work.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-49978787

Not covered in the link above was the dashcam footage from the HGV - the driver didn't stand a chance of stopping in time. I don't know whether the footage will make it to national news, but has been shown on lunchtime local news. Quite chilling.

Smart Motorways? - pyruse

The driver crashed into the minibus because he only saw it at the last second.That was because another truck in front of him pulled out of the way.

Surely that indicates that the driver was much too close to the vehicle in front? HGV drivers seem to drive way too close to one another routinely. They should surely leave at least a truck length whereas often there is less than a car length. Maybe that should start being policed?

Smart Motorways? - Sofa Spud

I think the smart motorway sections with no hard shoulder are a double-edged sword.

If you get a problem with your vehicle and you're able to keep going to the next emergency refuge lay-by, then you're a lot safer than if you have to stop on the hard shoulder of a normal motorway. It's more difficult to get out into the traffic again, though, I guess.

But if you have a sudden acute problem like your engine cuts out forcing you to stop in lane 1 short of a refuge lay-by, then it's more dangerous than being on a hard shoulder.

If your vehicle has a catastrophic sudden failure and you come to a stop in lane 2, 3 or 4 - as does happen sometimes - then whether or not there's a hard shoulder is irrelevant!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 10/10/2019 at 18:14

Smart Motorways? - sammy1

Surely that indicates that the driver was much too close to the vehicle in front? HGV drivers seem to drive way too close to one another routinely. They should surely leave at least a truck length whereas often there is less than a car length. Maybe that should start being policed?

Smart motorway or not it does appear that the lorry that hit the mini bus was travelling way to close to the one that saw the broken down mini bus. We all see lorries slip streaming on the motorway often 3 or 4 travelling that you would have a job to slot a car in between them! All well and good until the unexpected happens. Same thing with some car drivers behind lorries, they are so close to the rear of the lorry that they cannot possibly see the road ahead! It is difficult on todays busy roads to keep a safe distance.. I drive an ordinary saloon but sometimes find it difficult following the large SUVs and seeing the road ahead.

There is talk about fully automated lorries travelling in large convoys in the future, I hope I am not on the road then!

Have you seen the footage? I don't think he was that close. The point is, the minibus occupants didn't stand a chance. Had the hard shoulder been available, they would have been relatively safe.

Another one today, M6 west mids section between jct 7 and 8 northbound, slight left hand bend about 1 mile from jct 8 and there's a vehicle stationary on the left live lane, luckily i was in lane 3 (of 4) and had just cleared the van i was overtaking in lane 2, so the two lorries on the left lane had somewhere to go as the van was able to swing out of their way behind me.

describing it like this sounds like we were all going 90 mph, nothing could be further from the truth, but as i've said here many times, when all of sudden that unwarned stationary vehicle is there even at 50 mph you are closing on it very quickly.

Darwin award goes to the foreign lorry driver on the M1 near Crick turn, parked in the refuge, but not very far over to the left and standing on the very edge of the live lane without any reflective clothing peering at the side of his trailer.

Sounds like non-smart Smart Motorways populated by lots of non-smart people, observed by not very smart staff at Highways England.

Not 'smart'. Isn't there some TV programme on this week about 'smart' motorways? I wonder if it'll be the usual guff and pendering or a proper forensic analysis of the system.

Smart Motorways? - Terry W

It must be possible to unambiguously analyse accident rates pre and post conversion to smart - if not now, certainly in a few years time when there is more data.

We can then judge whether

• they work well - no increase in accidents and cheap, or
  • increased accident rates - still cheap but hardly desirable

Incidentally the government in assessing the effectiveness of this sort of investment actually puts a value on life - therefore it may be cheaper than alternative ways to increase capacity, and cause more accidents.

Is there any evidence that motorways converted to four lanes with no hard-shoulder are more likely NOT to be in the SE area? The M25 AFAIK has a hard-shoulder in all four lane sections.

The M3 is partially Smart and they are working on the M27 at present.

Is there any evidence that motorways converted to four lanes with no hard-shoulder are more likely NOT to be in the SE area? The M25 AFAIK has a hard-shoulder in all four lane sections.

I don't think you could stand up a conspiracy.......

The SE is (geographically) quite limited but is usually taken to include Buckinghamshire. Most of the section of the M1 south of J15 currently being converted to 'smart' is in Bucks. There are also sections of the M1 in Bedfordshire that are all lane running.

As well as the M3 and M27 mentioned above sections of the M20 are also being converted. Not sure what's planned for the M4 or M11. I also suspect any further modification to the M25 will remove hard shoulder.

I don't think you could stand up a conspiracy.......

The SE is (geographically) quite limited but is usually taken to include Buckinghamshire. Most of the section of the M1 south of J15 currently being converted to 'smart' is in Bucks. There are also sections of the M1 in Bedfordshire that are all lane running.

As well as the M3 and M27 mentioned above sections of the M20 are also being converted. Not sure what's planned for the M4 or M11. I also suspect any further modification to the M25 will remove hard shoulder.

The M4 is currently being converted, at least from London down to the M5. If I recall, I think it's due for completion in about 2-3 years - I've come across lots of roadworks in conjunction with the upgrade on my travels to the West Country (going on holiday) over the last 2 years, especially this year.

Bad move all-around in my view. I do not have any confidence that 100% (it only takes one driver to forget, not understand [foreign drivers] or not bother and you're potentially dead) of drivers would adhere to the matrix signs when someone has broken down in lane 1.

Smart Motorways? - alan1302

Incidentally the government in assessing the effectiveness of this sort of investment actually puts a value on life -

That happens quite often - like the NHS deciding if a certain drug is value for money or not. Or if all roads should be limited to 30mph - that would bring death rates down a lot.

Smart Motorways? - MikeM100

The widow Claire Mercer has set up a fundraising campaign to make legal objections to these so called 'Smart Motorways' here:

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/smart-motorway-jr/

and a Website here:

https://smartmotorwayskill.co.uk

I would like to know the name of government official who signed off this crazy idea ?

If they were personally held responsible for their decisions I don't think they would have been so keen.

If they were personally held responsible for their decisions I don't think they would have been so keen.

Sadly this is all to often the case in many situations, (especially when they are likely to personally benefit very handsomely from their actions)?

Incidentally the government in assessing the effectiveness of this sort of investment actually puts a value on life -

That happens quite often - like the NHS deciding if a certain drug is value for money or not. Or if all roads should be limited to 30mph - that would bring death rates down a lot.

I'm surprised that our Nanny State 'Chief Medical Officer' (who just said eating food and drink [apart from water] on public transport should be banned for health reasons [bad enough, love to know how they would enforce that]) hasn't advocated a return to the man (or woman) walking in front of cars waving a red flag.

Maybe we should all work from home and never venture out. Maybe we should all go back to living in mud huts and caves - that would also 'save the planet'

I give up.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 12/10/2019 at 16:13

I'm surprised that our Nanny State 'Chief Medical Officer' (who just said eating food and drink [apart from water] on public transport should be banned for health reasons [bad enough, love to know how they would enforce that]) hasn't advocated a return to the man (or woman) walking in front of cars waving a red flag.

Maybe we should all work from home and never venture out. Maybe we should all go back to living in mud huts and caves - that would also 'save the planet'

I give up.

Yet you don't like the idea of smart motorways because some people won't use them properly...but also don't like a 'nanny state'. Surely a smart motorway would be fine for people unless you want to nanny' them?

Smart Motorways? - The Heg
I think the problem with the Mercer case was at least partially down to driver error. They’d had a minor bump- non immobilising bump. Rather than pull off at the next safest spot, they chose lane 1 to exchange details. Doesn’t avoid the blame for the vehicle that hit them, but it does at least call into question the wisdom of getting out and exchanging details in a live lane for a damage only bump where the vehicles were still driveable. I wouldn’t want to get into victim blaming at all, and that’s not where I’m going, but we all as drivers, if we know we’re on a smart motorway, need to know what to do and how best to try not to get wiped out.
I think the problem with the Mercer case was at least partially down to driver error.

That. Exactly.

What's needed is firstly some additions to the Highway Code to cover the specifics of All Lane Running and then a public information campaign.

I doubt the Mercer JR has any hope of success. She's so far only crowd sourced a tenth of what she needs. It's pretty high hurdle to show either ALR in general or authorisation of a specific scheme was unlawful, unreasonable or in some way proceduraly improper. And if it was found to be such the government may simply re-make the decision this time getting it right.

She may be able to show negligence in the operations room if opportunities to shut the lane were missed.But it's 'ordinary' negligence; the threshold for manslaughter is nowhere near being crossed.

In this week's motoring agony column HJ (we assume) answers a query about countdown markers on motorways under 'smart' construction, where he states that smart motorways are actually safer for stranded vehicles than a hard shoulder, due to cameras triggering warning signs.

is it me? have i been imagining the sudden evasive actions required all of these unwarned of stranded vehicles i've personally seen, were the victims of the resulting mayhem a result of fevered imaginations too, i'll take a hard shoulder if there's a choice of where to be every time ta very much.

Mike's link below is a heatbreaker.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/10/2019 at 14:41

Another sad story here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7567723/Coroner-warns-smart-motorways-putting-lives-risk-boy-eight-died.html?

It seems that the operator re-opened the lane prematurely. I suppose that they have to decide whether a vehicle is moving or is stopped and how long does that take?

Edited by MikeM100 on 13/10/2019 at 14:26

Smart Motorways? - Galaxy

I'd be very interested, indeed, to hear what the Breakdown Service Drivers think about Smart Motorways.

I think I can probably guess!

I'd be very interested, indeed, to hear what the Breakdown Service Drivers think about Smart Motorways.

Most used to park their vehicle behind the brokwn down car - I wonder if they'll continue to do so now many more accidents are of this type?

Probably could not be printed on an online forum suitable for polite company.

Report in today's press about an 8 year old killed on a smart motorway, coroner has demanded answers from highways on how to improve detection of stranded motorists.

I give up.

Yet you don't like the idea of smart motorways because some people won't use them properly...but also don't like a 'nanny state'. Surely a smart motorway would be fine for people unless you want to nanny' them?

I'm saying they aren't smart because they don't have the tech to be so - even admitted by the Highways people themselves, with the tech not able to pick up stationary vehicles for at least a minute (assuming its in range) and they have to rely on staff to visually scan CCTV to check, which takes time and people make mistakes for many reasons.

At least when the hard shoulder was there, everyone knew not to drive in it and what it was for. Now many people have no idea what to do (not just bad signage), especially foreign and elderly drivers who may not use these roads much and aren't familiar about what to do.

I don't like 'smart' motorways because they patently aren't smart and rely on 100% of drivers keeping an eye out at all times and knowing what to do. Having a hard shoulder is an easy thing to understand.

As some have said, I bet they've crunched the numbers, seen how many extra accidents are cuased by them vs the fewer number due to less congestion and basically said they do better. The problem for me is that accidents due to 'congestion' are mostly caused by people driving too close, which is far easier to overcome than the complex situation of negotiating what the matrix signs say as regards the old hard shoulder lane and what to do when a sign on them changes.

Another article today in the Telegraph gives more credence to such assertions:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/12/smart-motorway.../

[update] Apologies as the above article is essentially the same story as Mike referred to in another paper.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 13/10/2019 at 17:41

Smart Motorways? - Avant

"....with the tech not able to pick up stationary vehicles for at least a minute (assuming its in range)...."

Yes, that's the point isn't it: if the Mail report is to be believed, the car was stationary for only 45 seconds before the lorry hit it. A operator can't be looking everywhere at ince, so there has to be reliance on some God-forsaken computer.

Agreed, the hard shoulder isn't the safest place to be, but it's better than the inside lane. Better still is the dedicated refuge area, but these need to be every 500 yards / metres, not 1.5 miles apart as the men in suits have decreed that they should be.

"....with the tech not able to pick up stationary vehicles for at least a minute (assuming its in range)...."

Yes, that's the point isn't it: if the Mail report is to be believed, the car was stationary for only 45 seconds before the lorry hit it. A operator can't be looking everywhere at ince, so there has to be reliance on some God-forsaken computer.

Which don't appear to be up to the job, yet they went ahead using them anyway, rather like self-driving cars in parts of the US. I think that the tech is still years away, and that those flogging it pretend its way more advanced than it really is, rather like AI (which seems to be perpetually 'on the verge' of a breakthrough [rather like nuclear fusion]).

Agreed, the hard shoulder isn't the safest place to be, but it's better than the inside lane. Better still is the dedicated refuge area, but these need to be every 500 yards / metres, not 1.5 miles apart as the men in suits have decreed that they should be.

Even 500yds may not be enough for a vehicle that suddenly dies, especially if its being driven in the outside lane and/or in busy (but moving) traffic.

The decision appears to me at least to be a) about money, and b) that will ironically saves the lives of bad drivers (more road capacity so better chance in them surviving an accident they cause) but sacrifices more innocents who were unfortunate to suffer a breakdown or tyre failure and have nowhere safe to go and have to rely on 100% of other drivers knowing what to do in a complex, changing situation and are paying attention..

Peachy.

Of course, increased road usage has many causes that has resulted in all this happening, yet they are mostly swept under the rug because they often involve 'politically sensitive (or inconvenient) issues' that are used as stick to beat people on each side of the debate.

Smart Motorways? - Ian_SW

There is a fairly easy opportunity to make them much safer, and less reliant on the operators/tech detecting stranded cars.

They just need to go back to smart motorways version 1, as used on the M42. This only uses the hard shoulder at peak times. When there is enough traffic to need the fourth lane, any broken down vehicle will cause a traffic jam behind it as it rolls to a stop, so nothing will approach it at any speed so relatively safe.

When traffic is light, a blockage of one lane doesn't disrupt the flow of traffic enough to slow it down. You are then reliant on every single driver paying enough attention to avoid the broken car. The M42 solves that by that lane being closed hy default in light traffic.

These are the times when I've come across stranded vehicles with no warning on several occasions on the Yorkshire stretch of the M1, and the fourth lane wasn't needed at that time of day in the first place. As an aside, that particular stretch of motorway has always been a bit substandard in my opinion, with steeper gradients and tighter curves than pretty much anywhere else on the core motorway network.

Going back to the M42 style should be relatively simple to do, and although it doesn't produce quite as much theoretical capacity, due to the hard shoulder lane running down the exit at each junction and only 3 lanes through the junction, it works fine on the M42.

Smart Motorways? - madf

Air Traffic controllers have computer systems driven by radar with speed and height.. As That is 3D and teh motorway is only 2D and therfiore simpler, a radar system tracking cars and speed monitoring is not beyond the wit of man..

Of course the invetstment required to make it work over hundreds of miles may make conventional motorway expansion appear a much cheaper laternative

They just need to go back to smart motorways version 1, as used on the M42. This only uses the hard shoulder at peak times. When there is enough traffic to need the fourth lane, any broken down vehicle will cause a traffic jam behind it as it rolls to a stop, so nothing will approach it at any speed so relatively safe

I agree, there is no reason for all night 4 lane running, i'd also suggest no hard shoulder running during the hours of darkness or fog or falling snow.

Where part time hard shoulder running fails is that drivers in larger numbers than should be the case have no idea whether the lane is usable or not, the number of cars and vans mainly who drive the M6 sections of closed hard shoulder are only outnumbered by the people who refuse completely to use the live lane but insist on driving at least 10mph below the posted limit, not sure which group cause more hassle for everyone else.

This thread is showing the vast majority of us are against the present smart motorway roll out in its current form, with solid armco to the left and a shortage of refuges meaning you have to extremely lucky to get your vehicle off the live road if its breaks down.

I notice the M6 west mids section has the left live lanes open less often than was the case even a year ago, there has to be a reason for this and no i am not imagining it.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/10/2019 at 13:54

The decision appears to me at least to be a) about money, ...............

You'll be telling me the Pope is a catholic next. ;)

Millions were spent making the M3 downright dangerous in the places the hard shoulder has been removed. I dread my car having major break down and having no way to reach a refuge. It would be abandoned in the inside lane and require me getting out in the traffic and hopefully legging it up the bank etc. Madness.

Millions were spent making the M3 downright dangerous in the places the hard shoulder has been removed. I dread my car having major break down and having no way to reach a refuge.

You should still be 'legging it up the bank' even if there is a hard shoulder.

What are the real numbers, over a period of time, for fatalities, life changing injuries and +minor/no injury collisions involving breakdowns on (a) All Lane Running with refuges v (b) conventional motorway with a 'hard shoulder'?

We really need to know that rather than making a judgment that they are downright dangerous - however much it seems 'common sense'. As already mentioned the hard shoulder is not a safe place and significant numbers have been killed on them every year since they first appeared in the sixties.

If your car is suddenly rendered utterly imobile in lane 3 then smart running is neither here nor there. You're stopped in a running lane. If your lucky and have enough residual energy and other's make way you might I suppose make the hard shoulder but no certainty and that in itself may be a downright dangerous manoeuvre. No definite numbers but I'd wager that the number of 'dead stop' breakdowns is only a small proportion. The vast majority could make a refuge even if driving with a priority warning light (the sort that light the STOP annunciator on Eg PSA cars) or a flat tyre.

Jason Mercer and Dev Naran died in circumstances where there was no apparent need to stop in a live lane. Even if we bult no more smart m/way and abandoned those planned we've still got hundreds of miles od permanent or part time all lane running. Government needs to crack on with an amend to the Highway Code, a public information blitz on what to do on Smart M/way in case of breakdown/minor accident and to add refuges if gaps are, in some schemes, too long (and I think they are).

Well publicised convictions for those stopping where cause is running out of fuel would be another plus.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 16/10/2019 at 13:27

What are the real numbers, over a period of time, for fatalities, life changing injuries and +minor/no injury collisions involving breakdowns on (a) All Lane Running with refuges v (b) conventional motorway with a 'hard shoulder'?

Agreed - this is the info we need first before anything else is done. Would be interesting to know how many cars do come to a complete stop as well without being able to drive further even at reduced speed as I don't think most cars even when failing do come to a total halt all of a sudden.

Agreed - this is the info we need first before anything else is done. Would be interesting to know how many cars do come to a complete stop as well without being able to drive further even at reduced speed as I don't think most cars even when failing do come to a total halt all of a sudden.

In response to Bromp's comment, for cars coming to a rapid halt from the outside lane, it's far easier trying to quickly move over three lane to a continuous hard should than to either just stop in the original lane or hop that the vehicle makes it to the next refuge (assuming it's not already being used).

I agree that far better driver awareness of their own vehicle's condition should be taught and a lack thereof taken seriously by the authorities. This includes ensuring that all UK drivers are capable of knowing all the rules of the road - I wonder how many from abroad have either taken a test or our DoT has bothered to check the standard of those nation's driving exams?

'Smart' motorways are still relatively new, so we all could do with a brush up on the Highway Code, never mind people who've been driving abroad for years and may need lessons in UK laws/road rules etc.

In response to Bromp's comment, for cars coming to a rapid halt from the outside lane, it's far easier trying to quickly move over three lane to a continuous hard should than to either just stop in the original lane or hop that the vehicle makes it to the next refuge (assuming it's not already being used).

If you're in outside lane and lose power you MAY be able to make the hard shoulder. Depends on circs. Say the timing belt lets go and engine more or less seizes - if you can dip the clutch fast enough to retain some energy you might make it to hard shoulder. OTOH you might find insufficient energy and/or a solid line of vehicles to your left.

If it's fuel starvation or and electrical fault or engine is giving residual power you might do better. My petrol BX, 1989 to 93, was prone to vapour lock in fuel filter on hot weather; hesitation followed by power loss. Hesitation gave a warning but it was dicey on a busy m/way if it 'hiccupped' in lane 3.

And that was in traffic volumes of all but 30 years ago.

Indeed, but the 'smart' part of the motorways can still help those stuck in the other three lanes. The ironic thing is that the more traffic and slower speeds, the less chance in a nasty RTA, but more chance of holdups because of the situation you describe.

I truly hope all the evidence does get published, not the usual whitewash/cover-up to avoid/move blame as often happens. We all just want whichever is the safest without it busting the bank. I agree that drivers also need to play their part, who contribute to most of the problems by their poor/inattentive driving.

No measures can cover every eventuality but having a hard shoulder gives you a better chance of getting off the carriageway. I've had one episode of needing the hard shoulder in the last few years, pulled in, waited for a gap, out of the car and over the barrier. The car is out of the traffic and I'm well away in a field. The same episode without the hard shoulder leaves my car in a live lane, this could only be dangerous.

Makes you wonder, if your car started to peg out and you were in the outside lane, would you in fact be safer personally stopping in that lane as far over as possible, where the typical traffic will be cars and vans, where the chances are the following traffic will have better visibility past the vehicle in front, generally narrower more agile vehicles who could move over easier, than stopping on the inside lane where most traffic is likely to be lorries...again i re-iterate, the lead lorry should see you without any issues if he's awake and attentive, its the ones following him, often tailgating (which already describes the skill of the individual), who may see the broken down vehicle too late.

Not saying anyone should do this out of choice, just wondering if your chances of escaping unscathed are theoretically better in the outside lane, if your car should get hit it would be by a light'ish vehicle with better stopping power than the admittedly probably slower travelling but 20 times as heavy (and no crumple zones) HGV.

Just thinking aloud here, but wouldn't be surprised if people have deliberately chosen this action as the lesser of two evils, knowing they would have a valid excuse as unable to cross the traffic with a rapidly slowing vehicle.

The obvious downside is that you have nowhere to run to.

Smart Motorways? - madf

Trouble is you get two + tonne Transit sized vans doing 70mph + in outside lanes- and often using phones if my observations are valid..(or a Bentley/large Mercedes doing 80+)

There is some guidance on driving here:

www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-drive-on-a-smart-motorw...y

And some justifications here

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/safety-on-smart-motorways

I remain sceptical

Smart Motorways? - Avant

They can produce as many statistics as they like about the reduced number of accidents, but they ignore the likelihood of a fatal accident happening as a result of someone hitting a stationary vehicle on a 'smart' motorway.

Trouble is you get two + tonne Transit sized vans doing 70mph + in outside lanes- and often using phones if my observations are valid..(or a Bentley/large Mercedes doing 80+)

Or coaches in a hurry.

More depressing reading on this subject here;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-7507769/Deaths-UK-motorways-8-Highways-England-says-smart-routes-safe.html

A Mr Richard Leonard is apparently Highways England’s Head of Road Safety.

Anyone got his email address ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-7507769/Deaths-UK-motorways-8-Highways-England-says-smart-routes-safe.html

Why depressing - we are the 3rd safest country in the world according to the bottom graph.

Smart Motorways? - ExA35Owner

The stats show a decrease in casualties on smart motorways after conversion from ones with hard shoulder. This is counterintuitive but I think we should follow the data. It's a 25% decrease, which is significant.

The stats show a decrease in casualties on smart motorways after conversion from ones with hard shoulder. This is counterintuitive but I think we should follow the data. It's a 25% decrease, which is significant.

It certainly is - yet most people are saying they are more dangerous...always worrying when people allow their own thoughts to override facts.

The depressing thing is that like so much of the Mail's reportage it mixes fact and opinion with no visible differentiation. An 8% increase from a start point of around a hundred could be down to just a couple of nasty smashes - fog pile ups for example.

Is there ANY evidence to show that 8% increase has anything to do with smart motorways?

richard.leonard@(organistion).gov.uk usually works for government but I'd imagine Mr Leonard will have a PA to divert operational queries to the responsible team.

Quite interesting the discussion stopped when facts show the smart motorways are not as dangerous as people are making out

Quite interesting the discussion stopped when facts show the smart motorways are not as dangerous as people are making out

Various people from Highways England gave evidence to the Commons Transport Committee earlier this week.

Account from Daily Wail is here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7606327/Highways-England-pulls-plug-new-smart-motorways.html

Spoiler: The article doesn't say what the url suggests

For those who prefer to go to the source for information the Committee's page, including a link to the hearing, is here:

https://tinyurl.com/yxomgq2r (tiny url used as url on gov website is over long)

HAven't had chance to watch it yet so no opinion to offer on the content.

No - it's more like people have said all they need to, and besides, there's another article critical of smart motorways in today's Telegraph. Today's 'facts' are often open to interpretation in the current post-truth world and the current 'climate'.

I suspect that at most, the figures show that the increased road capacity has lead to less deaths caused by (and of) people irresponsibly driving too close together at high speed, but at the expense of innocent people who were unfortunate to have a breakdown and who don't get to safety in time because operators form the Highways Agency didn't spot them soon enough.

The other problem is that each road is different - some will undoubtedly have more HGVs running on them, some are renowned for bad weather in certain parts, some are busier at odd times of the day due to local factors such as nearby 24/7 large employers having odd shift-change hours.

Smart motorways may work in some areas and not others, or only at certain times of the day and/or in certain weather conditions. I also don't think it helped at all that how to use them and their more widespread introduction was not more widely publicised, relying on drivers themselves to look up what to do/changes. This would be especially true for foreign drivers (especially HGV drivers) who may not be aware of any of this, never mind what the impact is.

Smart Motorways? - concrete

Having been taken to task regarding overhead gantries and my obvious lack of observational skills I am still left contemplating. The argument put forward that because nothing was observed it could well have been a problem earlier. Nothing to dispute there. Except one of my points was that the signs are clearly not updated in real time. if the problem has gone, then switch the signs off or alter the information. Simples. The gantries have the potential to be very useful and personally I do follow their instructions to be extra safe. But very many don't. Apart from the usual amount of idiots, most people I speak to don't trust the information given. A problem for the Highways Agency methinks.

Interesting today that the government and the highways people are imposing a moratorium on smart motorway development in view of recent tragic events. This is course flies in the face oblast weeks accepted wisdom. Time will tell.

Cheers Concrete

Having been taken to task regarding overhead gantries and my obvious lack of observational skills I am still left contemplating. The argument put forward that because nothing was observed it could well have been a problem earlier. Nothing to dispute there. Except one of my points was that the signs are clearly not updated in real time. if the problem has gone, then switch the signs off or alter the information. Simples. The gantries have the potential to be very useful and personally I do follow their instructions to be extra safe. But very many don't. Apart from the usual amount of idiots, most people I speak to don't trust the information given. A problem for the Highways Agency methinks.

Interesting today that the government and the highways people are imposing a moratorium on smart motorway development in view of recent tragic events. This is course flies in the face oblast weeks accepted wisdom. Time will tell.

Cheers Concrete

Indeed - and many people won't trust that signage unless it's proven to be accurate and up to date. I've seen drivers completely ignore the red 'move over' and cross (lane closed) matrix signs because they believe they are either out of date or can see far enough ahead to know when to pull over (if at all).

I suspect that the moratorium has come about because the politicians don't want any more negative press copverage, whether it's justified or not. To me, that shows either they don't trust their own Civil Servants' figures (surely if they did [or had the ability/know-how to understand them] they would defend them) or they would rather keep the status quo because it means their department won't be blamed for accidents - only bad drivers.

Today's 'facts' are often open to interpretation in the current post-truth world

I always take that to mean people believe what they want to think no matter what the actual facts are.

Today's 'facts' are often open to interpretation in the current post-truth world

I always take that to mean people believe what they want to think no matter what the actual facts are.

Perhaps, but it's also that those in positions of authority/power also take advantage of that in an increasing number of cases to put out falsehoods or exaggerations to justify their own agendas under the guise of 'official facts'.

As we often see, it's very easy to rig surveys or reports to get the answer you want if you know what questions to ask or how to frame them, especially when those commissioning the reports/polls already know the answer and want a skewed new one to muddy the waters.

For example, I receieved a letter from my MP about putting our views about the local cottage hospital, amongst other aspects of local healthcare, and the online questionairre had many loaded questions about chosing ONLY this or that, rather than improving how the system works to get more for less, despite it being framed as a way to make the system 'more cost effective'.

Government studies and reports are notorious for doing this sort of thing. Opinion polls with loaded questions are also very similar, and why an increasing number of people distrust them and say 'No thnaks' to participating, even when it's proven they are a genuine polling firm conducting a non-marketing poll.

People are far more skeptical and distrusting these days, and for good reason.

Smart Motorways? - madf

Friday is "bury bad news at 5.00pm " day..

Always read teh late news on Friday websites.. amazing what you read..

I find reading The Guardian and Th Telegraph gives two often widely conflicting "facts" about the same story - often teh numbers at a rally/protest.. Both sides seek to maximise / minimise numbers attending to support their own viewpoint.. I learned this in the 1960s as a student.. so nothing new ...

Friday is "bury bad news at 5.00pm " day..

Always read teh late news on Friday websites.. amazing what you read..

I find reading The Guardian and Th Telegraph gives two often widely conflicting "facts" about the same story - often teh numbers at a rally/protest.. Both sides seek to maximise / minimise numbers attending to support their own viewpoint.. I learned this in the 1960s as a student.. so nothing new ...

Sadly, the days of separated (genuine) factual news reporting and commentary/opinion have practically gone - very few articles, from any MSM paper are genuinely just factual reporting.

In my experience as a long term subscriber to the Telegraph, this, in my view changed from when the Barclay Bros took over, going for clicks by (I think) deliberately including some (and now increasing) number of leftist/woke/activist/feminist/columnist journalists rather than 'just journalists'.

You can normally tell who they are because after getting absolutely trashed by readers pointing out their bias and idiotic opinions, their articles now do not come with comments sections below. I should note that The Guardian pulled ALL reader commentary years ago, likely because their free online service meant that right-of-centre people logged in to do very much the same by destorying their arguments and pointing out biases, not just on opinion pieces but on supposed 'factual news' reporting too.

It's got so bad in the MSM that I'm a hair's width away from cancelling my Telegraph subscription. I just wish we could go back to mainly factual reporting (and no sensationalism like on the TV News) with SOME separate opinion/commentary from staffers where readers can comment/discuss, rather than professional trolls now making a mockery of such areas on major issues so that real debate is crushed.

I remember when I was at school/college (late 80s to mid 90s) that you could essentially pick up ANY broadsheet newspaper and not get much bias if you stayed away from the Opinion section and obvious political pieces. I believe I know what kicked off all these changes...in 1997.

Some smaller scale independent media firms are sort of filling the void, but the MSM and their establishment friends are trying to stop them by getting them deplatformed, smeared or having funding removed via their chums in the finance world.

Post-truth world indeed. People in the media (and more widely) used to lie occasionally, now it appears to be accepted normal practice because 'their agenda' is more important than saying/reporting the actual truth.

People tend to believe things without a full understanding of things though - just look at child vaccination levels which are decreasing despite them being shown again and again to be safe. People are afraid that an ingredient in a vaccination could be Formaldehyde which they see as a dangerous chemical even though it's perfectly safe as it's an incredibly low dose and your own body produces Formaldehyde in higher doses than the vaccines. Or that they can contain mercury - although they never do - they contain ethylmercury which is a safe form of mercury which reacts differently. People not understanding and thinking they are being sceptical means children are and will continue to die from diseases that were being controlled and eradicated.

Smart Motorways? - madf

People tend to believe things without a full understanding of things though - just look at child vaccination levels which are decreasing despite them being shown again and again to be safe. People are afraid that an ingredient in a vaccination could be Formaldehyde which they see as a dangerous chemical even though it's perfectly safe as it's an incredibly low dose and your own body produces Formaldehyde in higher doses than the vaccines. Or that they can contain mercury - although they never do - they contain ethylmercury which is a safe form of mercury which reacts differently. People not understanding and thinking they are being sceptical means children are and will continue to die from diseases that were being controlled and eradicated.

bad example// Crowded surgeries, delays etc are equally to blame - a report today says..

Having said that, I give taster sessions to aspriing beekeepers.. At one, I talked about treatment for bee diseases.. Up pipes a woman.."I don't believe in vaccination and what you are doing to bees is wrong" and then quoted stats on vaccnbation (I looked them up later - they were US stats,, so irrelevant)..

I basically said "we're here to talk about keeping bees, your views on human vaccination are irrelevant and what are you doing here if you apparently know so much about beekeeping ? She shut up and I have never seen her again. Rude and ignorant and aggressive and a cultist.. - is my summary of her:-)

Smart Motorways? - concrete

It is a sad indictment of our current 'ruling classes' which seems to be the norm. I have long found when dealing with 'officialdom' that if they didn't think of it first, then no matter how good an idea is it will not be adopted. They think it will make them look stupid if they change their mind in favour of a better idea. The reverse is the truth, but the truth always gets in the way of an official diktat. They will make any information or statistic fit their current position.

I don't wish to slur any diligent and capable local government employees, but the fact of the matter was, when I left school, all the lads that didn't do too well ended up working for the local council. Their wages then were below average but of course the pension was very good if you stayed the course. Some of my contemporaries although nice, decent lads were not the sharpest tools in the box so I can only imagine how they coped with decision making. Although it was usually done through a committee to eleviate the possibility of personal responsibility I suspect. It seems nothing much has changed.

Cheers Concrete

My sentiments exactly, having dealt with many (by no means all and it depends on what work they are doing) of this type of person in the Public Sector throughout my career as an engineer. The same goes for most politicians as well.