Sell my diesel for a petrol - logger

I'm probably asking a question that maybe only I could answer but maybe some opinions may help me come to a decision

I only do about 4k miles a year.

I have a 54 plate 1.8 Tdci Focus Estate. 120k miles...it only cost me £450

Plus points. Been very reliable for the last 3 years, good MPG, 8 months MOT. Been a good workhorse. Cant fault it for that.

Negative points. Things starting to go wrong now ( calliper sticking occasionally ), some knocks and bangs,... and I dont need a big estate any more.

... so do I sell it and get a few hundred and go for a nicer small petrol hatchback for say £800 or do I keep it... the devil you know rather than that the devil you dont etc

Suggestions on the back of an evelope please

Thanks

Sell my diesel for a petrol - iltym

As things are starting to go wrong with your car, you’re unlikely to get your £450 back, so I’d say stick with it until something serious goes wrong and then scrap it. I’m almost sure your car doesn’t have a DPF, and that would be the only reason why you shouldn’t have a diesel for low miles, so just stick with it. When the time comes, I’d get something like an 06 on Toyota Yaris with the 1.4 chaincam diesel, which also has no DPF. Much more modern than your focus and also utterly reliable, as long as you don’t go anywhere near the automatic. A lot of people don’t like diesel these days, but as long as you tread carefully, you’ll get a quicker car that lasts for longer and costs less to run.

Sell my diesel for a petrol - Engineer Andy

The brake calipers sticking is not always a symptom of an older car - many doing low mileage stick, some more than others. If its been reliable otherwise and you don't need to drive to a town/city that may soon be introducing a ban or heavy charges on more polluting cars (e.g. below Euro 4 petrols or Euro 6 diesels [yours will be below that]), then I'd run it until something expensive goes wrong or serious corrosion takes hold.

General consumables (including tyres) and the odd repair (like brakes) are far cheaper than having to spend many thousands buying a replacement car, especially a second hand car that may not have been driven sympatheitcally or as well maintained as the service history says. Besides, £800 isn't going to get you much, especially if you don't buy privately.

Your car is a known quantity.

Sell my diesel for a petrol - SLO76
Don’t sell one old car you know works to buy another you don’t. Stick with it and save more, try to get £3k upwards before it packs in.
Sell my diesel for a petrol - oldroverboy.

Not quite off topic..

Text from my wife's brother.

If you had to pick between a wonderful wife and a new car,

Which would you choose?

Petrol or diesel?

Sell my diesel for a petrol - paul 1963

Very good ORB! Logger, keep the focus just take a look at that sticky caliper.

Sell my diesel for a petrol - Bromptonaut

Check out the odd noises are nothing serious. If they're not or can be cheaply fettled then do what's needed and keep it.

Any £800 car is going to have exactly same risk of developing a killer fault in next year or so's mileage.