Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - edlithgow

Be replacing my coolant soon, since I had to do an emergency top-up with flaky water from a hose, and I will lose some more if I get the temperature sensor out for testing. Seems stuck.

I could only get cheapo green stuff with Chinese writing on it last time, from RT-Mart, and I’m not very convinced, though I think I’ve got another couple of litres of it somewhere…

Now they have Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer at about 4 times the price, which is supposed to be compatible with antifreeze, It makes sense to use corrosion prevention (if it works) rather than antifreeze in Taiwan.

www.rt-mart.com.tw/tainan/index.php?action=product...5

Anything known about this stuff? Is it on the UK market?

Packaging makes a thing about it being German, which I always find suspicious here, but Googling mostly gets SE Asian and Egyptian sites.

They also had conventional Shellzone antifreeze at about the same price, which is probably a safer bet, assuming it isn't fake.

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - Oli rag

+Did you sort out the overheating and fan problem?

I do enjoy reading your posts (when I can understand them), but do think the academic in you tries to overthink everything. Most people would just stick anti freeze in and that's because it's probably the correct and easiest thing to do.

.I suspect you won't take the easy route though and instead come up with a Heath Robinson alternative :)

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - edlithgow

+Did you sort out the overheating and fan problem?

I do enjoy reading your posts (when I can understand them), but do think the academic in you tries to overthink everything. Most people would just stick anti freeze in and that's because it's probably the correct and easiest thing to do.

.I suspect you won't take the easy route though and instead come up with a Heath Robinson alternative :)

Well I know what you mean, but really I'm just considering two products here, neither of which I know much about.

If you read up on coolant on the internyet you'll find its annoyingly complex as to compatability of different types, but I'm not getting into all that because there is almost no chance here of finding out what is in anything.

Antifreeze is always going to be the choice in the UK because if the stuff is in use for a year there will always be a risk of frost.

Here there never is , so a product optimised for corrosion protection ONLY would make sense, IF it was any good.

If anyone had heard of this German stuff I might use it, otherwise I'll probably use this Shell stuff. I have at least heard of Shell, though known brands do up the counterfeit risk here.

Edited by edlithgow on 20/08/2019 at 10:10

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - Bolt

Be replacing my coolant soon, since I had to do an emergency top-up with flaky water from a hose, and I will lose some more if I get the temperature sensor out for testing. Seems stuck.

I could only get cheapo green stuff with Chinese writing on it last time, from RT-Mart, and I’m not very convinced, though I think I’ve got another couple of litres of it somewhere…

Now they have Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer at about 4 times the price, which is supposed to be compatible with antifreeze, It makes sense to use corrosion prevention (if it works) rather than antifreeze in Taiwan.

Packaging makes a thing about it being German, which I always find suspicious here, but Googling mostly gets SE Asian and Egyptian sites.

They also had conventional Shellzone antifreeze at about the same price, which is probably a safer bet, assuming it isn't fake.

www.sonax.com/Products

they don't appear to do engine anti freeze, its a washer bottle anti freeze with cleaning chemicals, unless Iv missed something or they do different things there, maybe the Shellzone would be the better bet?

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - bathtub tom

I've understood that for the last twenty years or so coolant anti-freeze contains a corrosion inhibitor.

www.sonax.com/Products

they don't appear to do engine anti freezre , its a washer bottle anti freeze with cleaning chemicals, unless Iv missed something or they do different things there, maybe the Shellzone would be the better bet?

The stuff is descibed as Radiator "Rust Preventer" which is all you need here, Theres a picture in the link above, but apart from the product name (see title )I'm afraid its all in German and Chinese.

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - skidpan

If you read the label for any quality "antifreeze" it also states that its a "summer coolant" and "corrosion inhibitor". In your part of the world the summer coolant bit may be vital and explain why you get problems with your car if its on plain water.

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - John F

Corrosion only occurs if oxygen is present. AFAIK no antifreeze is required in Taiwan. So collect rainwater into a clean fish tank. Introduce fish, and cover. Feed occasionally. When fish die, fill cooling system with your now oxygen-free water through filter. Spend money you've saved on chips to eat with fish, thinking of England.

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - skidpan

Corrosion only occurs if oxygen is present. AFAIK no antifreeze is required in Taiwan. So collect rainwater into a clean fish tank. Introduce fish, and cover. Feed occasionally. When fish die, fill cooling system with your now oxygen-free water through filter. Spend money you've saved on chips to eat with fish, thinking of England.

Antifreeze is no more than a few pounds for 5 litres, I would suspect that an ageing Daihatsu does not need more than 1/2 of that for a 50% mix.

How much would

• clean container
  • fish

cost?

Then there is the time element of waiting for them to die of oxygen starvation.

Suggest some people need to find a hobby in an effort to avoid all these mad thoughts.

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - galileo

Antifreeze is no more than a few pounds for 5 litres, I would suspect that an ageing Daihatsu does not need more than 1/2 of that for a 50% mix.

How much would

• clean container
  • fish

cost?

Then there is the time element of waiting for them to die of oxygen starvation.

Suggest some people need to find a hobby in an effort to avoid all these mad thoughts.

Have you considered that Ed's hobby is posting his thoughts in the hope of entertaining responses?

Living in Taiwan with it's climate, weather and difficult sourcing of parts might well turn anyone eccentric, I for one would find life frustrating there.

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - Bolt

Have you considered that Ed's hobby is posting his thoughts in the hope of entertaining responses?

Living in Taiwan with it's climate, weather and difficult sourcing of parts might well turn anyone eccentric, I for one would find life frustrating there.

maybe doesn't need to hope, I would second that, it must be really difficult keeping an older car running, though not so sure I would go to such extremes, but then when needs must!

Unfotunately there's no "like" or "thumbs up" function on this site, AFAIK

Bit cruel though. Bit of yeast and sugar?

Unfortunately the heat would kill the yeast so continuous oxygen-scavenging isn't likely.

Go to Yellowstone and recruit exotic thermophilic organisms from hot springs/geysers?

I think you can get electrolytic corrosion in the abscence of oxygen, though, and in fact that's what you do get in a cooling system.

Buy and aircooled VW would be an alternative, but they ain;t cheap, and I've never seen a Variant, which would be my first choice, here.

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radator Rust Preventer - edlithgow

Tell you what though, A while ago I saw some "typical" analyses of laundry powder and coolant somewhere on the nyet and (apart from the detergent and glycol )they were very similar

Laundry powder has anti-corrosion ingredients to protect the washing machine.

If I had an incurable leak on a disposable car I'd probably run it on tap water with a pinch of laundry detergent.

tI saw ta colleage putting plain water in her shiny Skoda, Its very unusaul to see a Taiwanese with the bonnet up (This one is unusual, though, having done her doctorate at Moscow University when it was still Soviet, and I believe she once owned a Lada, so perhaps that explains it.

I had to show another one where the prop was and how it worked because she was holding it up with one hand and seemed likely to injure herself)

Anyway, II asked why. Turned out they'd had an untracable leak since a minor crash and had been using water for several years.

I told her about the corrosion risk, but I can't remember if I suggested detergent. Hard for me to regard a ten-year old Skoda as disposable, even though thats about as old as they generally get here.

Might use it as a flush. Longterm it might be too alkaline. I understand people use dishwasher tablets because they don't foam so much.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/08/2019 at 12:28

If you read the label on most antifreeze here you must be able to read Mandarin.

I'm aware most antifreeze also has corrosion inhibiting properties, but its at least conceivable that stuff optimised for anti-corrosion, which didn't have to be an anti-freeze, would be better at it.

That COULD explain why (from the website distribution) ithe market for the above stuff (in the title) is mostly hot countries, or it COULD be those countries are just suckers for a German label.

I dunno

As I said above, I'm currently running a local brand green stuff, which I hope isn't just water. I think I did check the SG once and it wasn't, but of course I have no way of knowing what is in it, unless you know a simple test for ethylene glycol.

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - paul 1963

A test for ethylene glycol is to taste it! it tastes sweet, it's also poisonous! seem to remember a certain wine producing company where caught adding it to a particularly foul vintage.

Apparently cats love the stuff......

A test for ethylene glycol is to taste it! it tastes sweet, it's also poisonous! seem to remember a certain wine producing company where caught adding it to a particularly foul vintage.

But do RATS?

Thats currently of more interest.

Car smells. Not sure why or of what but I have my suspicions. No rat s*** though.

Oddly thbere wasn't when they were nest buiding last week either, but maybe they have nestiquette;

Edited by edlithgow on 21/08/2019 at 12:34

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - John F

Car smells. Not sure why or of what but I have my suspicions. No rat s*** though.

Fungus? Try dehumidifying, if possible in such a climate!

...great wits are sure to madness near allied.... Dryden.

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - focussed

Silly thing to post, it's very toxic to cats and dogs.

Silly thing to post, it's very toxic to cats and dogs.

Well, I knew that.

But apparently NOT silly to suggest I taste it, huh?

TOUGH crowd.

Any water-cooled, probably, though its complicated - Sonax Radiator Rust Preventer - paul 1963

Focussed, I wasn't suggesting one feeds it to your cat just pointing out that cats are attracted to it, there have been a few cases where cats have been deliberately poisoned with it.

As for tasting it I'm not suggesting that you should take a good long draft of the stuff but a drop on the tip of the tongue spat out afterwards will do no harm, Ed was after a a way of identifying it and I pointed out the fact that it tastes sweet.......

Actually it was Austrian winemakers. In 1985 they added diethylene glycol (DEG) to try to make their iffy wine as sweet as good German wines. Since then, it has been implicated in many deaths worldwide in poor countries buying dubious medicines laced with cheap poisonous Chinese 'glycol substitute'.

Actually it was Austrian winemakers. In 1985 they added diethylene glycol (DEG) to try to make their iffy wine as sweet as good German wines. Since then, it has been implicated in many deaths worldwide in poor countries buying dubious medicines laced with cheap poisonous Chinese 'glycol substitute'.

Dem Chinese. Even their poison isn't the real thing..