wifi extenders - concrete

Another IT question for some of our more expert members. SWMBO has decided she needs better access to the internet. One for TV and another for her laptop. The BT router is situated fairly centrally but does struggle to reach some rooms which have solid brick walls and a staircase in the way. I heard wifi extenders were the way to go. Apparently I can connect one to the main router via an ethernet cable and then plug it into the electric mains socket and it will transmit through the power cables to be picked up by another extender where you need access. So far so good. Got the idea and have set up many a router and laptop, printer etc. However I need to ensure that I buy the right equipment. I think I will need three extenders, one as a master and the other two to access the internet via the mains sockets where we choose.. Do I buy three units and hope they synchronise or do they come in threes ready to go?? Can I add to them later if needs be? If anyone has done this before and has any useful comments on which type to buy and has to set up I would be grateful. Incidentally, I will connect the TV and her laptop to the extenders via an ethernet cable so they will be effectively hard wired. The wifi access is for phones and printers etc.

Cheers Concrete

wifi extenders - nick62

Brought one from Costco about 3 months ago (~£45) and plugged it in on the landing.

Its a TP Link AC1600

Not been moaned at since, so it must be working? :)

Edited by nick62 on 08/08/2019 at 17:46

wifi extenders - skidpan

Get a different broadband provider.

At the current house and the previous one we have used Virgin Media.

Get perfect wifi access in all rooms (upstairs and downstairs) for the printer, laptops, phones, intruder camera thingy and the Google thingy on the telly in the lounge. Plenty of brick walls and a staircase.

Just been to the end of the garden, 35m from the Virgin superhub (in the airing cupboard of the downstairs bathroom) and still wifi on the phone despite having to get through 1 internal brick wall, an external brick wall, a conservatory and kitchen cupboards.

wifi extenders - alan1302

Get a different broadband provider.

Just get a different router - no need to change broadband provider.

wifi extenders - Bolt

My sil had problems with wi fi on BT, she contacted BT and they sent her 2 extenders free, they plug in to a socket but ethernet to pc/laptop but are also wireless so can be connected wirelessly if needed

Bt seem ok with supplying these extenders as my neighbour has 2 as well sent foc and work well afaik, saves buying them if you don't have to

personally I don't like BT, and Sky imo are better and faster

Thank you chaps. Plenty to think about. TP keeps coming up and several people have mentioned them for power line adaptors to extend for wifi with lan ports for TV etc. We had NTL/Comcast/Virgin for many years and had mainly trouble free service. Unfortunately where we now live there is no Virgin cabling within 20 miles of us. Quite happy with BT in general, fairly close to our local exchange which is now all fibre connected so we gat around 35Mbps on our broadband. The new Hub6 router seems fine but struggles against the construction and layout of our house, hence the extenders. I have seen a TP kit of three units, one slave and two remote extenders which I think will do the job for about £65. Thanks for your experiences and suggestions. It gives me confidence that these electronic gizmos really do work.

Cheers Concrete

wifi extenders - gordonbennet

Our bungalow is quite long and all interior walls are solid, hence signal problems, we bought two Comfast wifi extenders from Amazon, no problems since and easy to set up even for a technophobe like me.

wifi extenders - daveyjp
If your router is a few years old ask for it to be changed. Although BT are now advertising their own boosters as part of their wi f8 guarantee,

Our Virgin router was upgraded a couple of years ago and the range just about doubled. It has been freezing recently, so I may call for another upgrade.
wifi extenders - MGspannerman

We live in an old house with thick walls and rambling rooms, wifi reach has always been a problem. I used TP link extenders for a while but they were not entirely satisfactory with occasional drop outs and sometimes slow speeds. I eventually got a BT Whole Home three disc mesh system and it has been perfect ever since. I am currently two floors away and diagonally opposite where the router is located and have just checked the download speed at 45+ mb/sec. Expensive but very effective, also extremely easy to set up, just fit and forget.

wifi extenders - Theophilus

WiFi extenders and Powerline adaptors can both do the job, and I use both, but they are different animals.

A simple wifi extender needs a mains power socket to plug into, and must also be within range of your router to pick up the signal - it will then boost the signal to extend the range.

A powerline adaptor uses your domestic electricity ring-main to carry the signal around all sockets on the same ring-main, including areas outside of wifi coverage. You need at least 2 adaptors, one placed near the router and connected to the router by ethernet cable, and the second placed wherever you need to boost the signal. This can be linked to your IT computer / printer / etc either by another ethernet cable or by wifi. You can have as many adaptors as you need (I have 4). Its probably a good idea to buy all the same brand for compatibility, though this isn't necessary and you can add additional adaptors later. However they do conduct signals at different speeds and if you have a mix of adaptors they will default to the speed of the slowest adapter. A starter kit of 2 adaptors will cost £30-£40 and will come with instructions for setting up (not difficult).

I take a wifi extender extender with me when travelling, but Powerline adaptors give far better and more reliable coverage and these are what I use at home. Reliable, and reasonably inexpensive, brands are TP-Link or Netgear.

Thank you Theophilus. I have just set up the TP 4020 power line adaptors. As you describe a master connected to the main router then plugged into the ring main. I mated up the two extenders with the internet and the wifi SSID via wsp on the main router. Took about 2 minutes. Then plugged the extenders in where required and bingo. Ethernet cables to connect a TV and laptop and the wifi for a printer and i phones. Works a treat so far. I wanted the power line feature so as not to rely totally on wifi. The house construction does not lend itself to full wifi signal everywhere so the power line option with the wifi facility too is ideal. So simple and effective for not much money.

Cheers Concrete

wifi extenders - Unition

My department at Apknite just bought a wifi extender of Netgear AC1200 code EX6150. Worth money!