I do apologise, but I bought an auris - fray bentos

I tried not to but I needed a comfortable 5 door hatchback to transport my elderly parents. The car mags told me buy a golf or audi so I could throw it round corners but locally they were about 5 or6K more for similar age milage and spec. The auris bought from a local Toyota main dealer has 2 years warranty 1 owner7k miles as new condition a 1.2 turbo engine that does 0 - 60 in 10secs 30£ tax and a very quiet smooth ride. Reliability and tons of equipment comesass standard. Please don't be angry with me!

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - Vitesse6

Wise choice. It will just keep on working. Most of the taxis round here now are Auris hybrids.

And all for under £10k!

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - daveyjp
Good choice. I was in an Auris hybrid estate taxi on Sunday. 190,000 miles and driver had had no issues over and above usual consumables.

I've just rescued a friend whose 5 year old 40,000 miles Corsa has let her down again. Last time it was coil pack, tonight I suspect the cooling fan and possibly radiator water temp sensor are goosed and it has overheated.

She's sick of it and asked me what to get. Told her a Yaris.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - Heidfirst
She's sick of it and asked me what to get. Told her a Yaris.

1 of my mother'sneighbours after 2 Yaris hybrids for some reason bought a new Clio. Within a week the indicators had packed up ... When last asked how she was getting on with the Clio a fleeting scowl & "I should have bought another Yaris" :P

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - SLO76
A car I would’ve happily recommend to you. I doubt it’ll ever give a moments bother and when you come to sell it you’ll find it no bother to move on.
I do apologise, but I bought an auris - badbusdriver

No need to apologise for buying a reliable car!

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - phil_z70

I made the same mistake 16 months ago with an auris hybrid estate

17k miles later no issues at all, free tax, mid 50's mpg, nice smooth ride

Possibly the worst choice I have made, it would be almost impossible to sell on too

I made the same mistake 16 months ago with an auris hybrid estate

17k miles later no issues at all, free tax, mid 50's mpg, nice smooth ride

Possibly the worst choice I have made, it would be almost impossible to sell on too

A truly terrible car, one I’ve made the mistake of recommending to numerous taxi driving friends and customers. All I have been boringly reliable despite massive mileages and where is the fun in that? I can’t think of one that’s entertained with any issues at all. I feel so sorry for you. Next time pick something that’s a bit more Russian roulette with reliability.
I do apologise, but I bought an auris - Avant

Every time I've driven a Toyota (elder daughter had four 1.3 Yarises in a row and I've test-driven others) I've always found them a lot better to drive than the magazine road testers would have you believe.

Every time I've driven a Toyota (elder daughter had four 1.3 Yarises in a row and I've test-driven others) I've always found them a lot better to drive than the magazine road testers would have you believe.

Like the Mitsubishi’s and related Protons I used to sell, they tend to get better with miles. I find at 20k plus they ride, handle and go a bit better than new so save a few quid and buy used. Mine is currently in the tail end of a 1,500 mile UK holiday tour and hadn’t missed a beat despite its 83,000 miles. It’s not foolproof though as proved when I managed to lose the keys in Minehead and had to call the RAC to fish the spare set out of the drivers door pocket, but that’s another story for the next cheapo family car update. All credit to the car, it was a b***** to break into.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/07/2019 at 01:16

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - nellyjak

Fine choice...and many more peeps should make the same "mistake"..lol

I'm an out and out Toyota fan and have been for years now..my wife and I both drive Toyota's...wife is on her third consecutive Yaris.

I see little out there that can constantly match the reliability they give..unless it's another Japanese make of course like Honda.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - colinh

Good reviews of the forthcoming "Corolla" repacement - on to 50millions!

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - lucklesspedestrian

Had one (Auris) as a rental on holiday in Spain recently with the same 1.2 petrol engine, leather, reversing cameras etc. really, really nice car. The Golf's now done 75K and is awaiting a new turbo being fitted. I'm at that familar 'stick or twist' stage and if I do 'twist' then a Toyota is likely to very high on the list (probably some good deals out there on the Auris with the new Corolla coming in to replace it....hmmm!)

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - RaineMan

A good choice by OP. I mentioned someone I knew who has never grasped the concept of gears/engine revs/road speed and hence an incredibly jerky driver. Last time he replaced his cat I suggested an automatic but his response was that it is not real driving. Eventually he got an Aygo which has proved very reliable. The mechanics seem to be becoming rather worn and his needs have changed similar to the OP. The Auris seems to fit the bill and is under consideration. But how do I get him to go auto or hybrid?

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - daveyK_UK
Toyota / Lexus are the best ( I would make an argument for Subaru but they are so over priced and under sold by the importer in the UK, I doubt they will entertain such low sales figures much longer).

Edited by daveyK_UK on 24/07/2019 at 22:44

But how do I get him to go auto or hybrid?

Not sure you can get him to go auto, especially with him being a bloke. If it was a woman you'd probably get somewhere by emphasizing how easy and relaxing it is to drive an auto. As your mate thinks driving an auto is "not real driving", he'll never consider getting an auto for that reason.

Perhaps the best way would be to push the hybrid, for reasons of economy, low running costs, etc. You don't get manual hybrid cars, so there would be no option but to go auto.

Go for the hybrid - the fact that it will deliver about 53 mpg around town and is very quiet especially when the petrol engine just shuts itself down until it's needed again.

The Toyota hybrid system is pretty high tech which could well appeal to your mate and the hybrid battery warranty is now 15 years so they obviously have a lot of faith in the technology.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - Tester

You have been a very naughty boy, Fray -- no, I'd say that's an extremely good 'mistake' to make, and knickers to the car mags! I also bought one with the 1.2T engine, in October 2017, and have put 28,000 miles on it since then. It is very quiet, flexible, economical (currently getting brim-to-brim averages over 50 mpg), and comfortable for long trips. It will also 'go' entertainingly rapidly if one asks it to. As for throwing around corners, I find that by adjusting speed and balance with a little forethought and applying acceleration at the right point, I can amuse myself by cornering smoothly and quietly leaving behind most Golfs and Audis on roads that include bends.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - macscrooge
Sounds like a plan. I drove my father-in-law’s Auris hybrid the other day. No ball of fire but rather a pleasant thing. And it feels like it’ll go on forever.
The hybrid is the better bet depreciation wise, particularly the estate largely because they appeal to the taxi trade and thus will have plenty of eager buyers chasing them when you come to sell or part-ex. Though much depends on the regulations in your particular region. In mine any car that is to be registered as a taxi has to be 3yrs old or less which is of course utter stupidity and puts a serious dip in qualifying used car values locally as they approach 3yrs of age.

There’s no reason why a well maintained 10yr old Toyota Avensis for example couldn’t be registered and serve well as a taxi but no we have people in power who have absolutely no idea about the subject they’re legislating on which drives up costs and puts people out of business.
In mine any car that is to be registered as a taxi has to be 3yrs old or less which is of course utter stupidity and puts a serious dip in qualifying used car values locally as they approach 3yrs of age.

Where are you? South Ayrshire appears to allow Taxis up to 11 years & private hire cars up to 7 years old. East Ayrshire, appears to be 8 years other than a "Purpose Built Vehicle" which can be longer (no set limit apparently)?

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - Leif

You have been a very naughty boy,

So he’ not the Messiah? Then again you’d think he was, having chosen the forum’s favourite maker. Toyota should sponsor this forum.

In mine any car that is to be registered as a taxi has to be 3yrs old or less which is of course utter stupidity and puts a serious dip in qualifying used car values locally as they approach 3yrs of age.

Where are you? South Ayrshire appears to allow Taxis up to 11 years & private hire cars up to 7 years old. East Ayrshire, appears to be 8 years other than a "Purpose Built Vehicle" which can be longer (no set limit apparently)?

Not sure what the actual regs are here in Peterhead (Aberdeenshire), but there is a 7th gen Honda Accord (estate) taxi locally. Can't remember the age, but that shape was replaced by the 8th gen in about 2007/8!

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - Bilboman

My only annoyance with an otherwise immaculate, beautiful "denim blue" Auris 1.2T, which I bought new 3 years ago, is the horn, which I have used so far about three times. It is quite the most useless warning device ever made; a horn on a pizza delivery scooter is positively blood curdling by comparison. If I ever find myself in a life or death situation involving a 44 ton artic who will crush me to the thickness of a sardine can if he is not made aware of my presence within five seconds, I shall most likely jump out.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - gordonbennet

My only annoyance with an otherwise immaculate, beautiful "denim blue" Auris 1.2T, which I bought new 3 years ago, is the horn, which I have used so far about three times. It is quite the most useless warning device ever made.

Stick an aftermarket on it, or check how the present single pipsqueak jobbie is wired and grab a decent pair from another vehicle and bolt them on...a tip for you, Hilux and Landcruiser twin horns are superb, give a jarring warning combined note that you can't ignore despite their modest size, i doubt a pair of those would cost much even new from the parts dept, get a sparky to wire them in for you, job done....oh and like you i would not be happy with that single peep, the odd time you need a horn in an emergency it wants to be audible.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - bathtub tom

My only annoyance with an otherwise immaculate, beautiful "denim blue" Auris 1.2T, which I bought new 3 years ago, is the horn, which I have used so far about three times. It is quite the most useless warning device ever made.

One of first things I did on my Yaris. I couldn't find an easy way of getting behind the grille to replace it, so I just bolted another one under the bonnet and spliced it into the existing horn wire. I was mindful of the fuse, but it hasn't blown after a couple of years use.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - Avant

I think the feeble peep is a feature of most Japanese cars. It's the same sort of tone as on a old 1950s Ford van, except that the Ford van's horn was louder.

Maybe this is because the Japanese are a race are scrupulously polite, so that the horn is fitted merely as a legal requirement.

I think the feeble peep is a feature of most Japanese cars. It's the same sort of tone as on a old 1950s Ford van, except that the Ford van's horn was louder.

Maybe this is because the Japanese are a race are scrupulously polite, so that the horn is fitted merely as a legal requirement.

The most feeble horn I know is fitted to the 50ft Volvo Elite coaches I drive most days. It’s embarrassing and useless as no one hearing it thinks it’s coming from the 20 tonne coach they’ve just swerved out in front of. The big airhorns on the Scania’s are brilliant for startling people.
I do apologise, but I bought an auris - RaineMan

Going back to the manual vs auto issue my friend's car has gone on for a service at the main dealer. The foreman offered him a loan car and having, I suspect, observed his during habits offered him an automatic loan car. He refused it! Is this car cruelty?

Thanks for all the positive comments but I forgot to mention its best but secret feature. There is NO big transmission floor lump between the back seats like most cars. Excellent!

Thanks for all the positive comments but I forgot to mention its best but secret feature. There is NO big transmission floor lump between the back seats like most cars. Excellent!

Handy to know for future reference. It is amazing the amount of cars, supposedly 5 seaters, who's centre rear seat is rendered nearly useless because of how uncomfortably splayed any passengers legs would be!.

Isn't that because the battery's under the floor, meaning it's higher than on the pure petrol/diesel models?

No, the hybrid battery is under the back seat.

No battery. Its a 1.2 manual. Approx £4k cheaper than a used hybrid. Today's driving gave me an almost unbelievable 63.7 mpg!

I do apologise, I was comparing my petrol Yaris with a colleagues hybrid.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - Auristocrat

Both the first generation and second generation (a re-worked first generation), whether petrol, diesel or hybrid, had a flat rear floor (no transmission tunnel).

Both the first generation and second generation (a re-worked first generation), whether petrol, diesel or hybrid, had a flat rear floor (no transmission tunnel).

Avensis T25 & T27 are the same (I don't know about T22) & 1 of the things that I like for my needs compared to e.g. an Insignia/Mondeo.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - daveyjp

I had a brief drive in a friend's new C-HR yesterday - probably the only Toyota I wouldn't consider.

Very confined inside and being black seats, black roof lining, black carpet and rear tinted windows it was like sitting in a tank turret!

Thankfully it has lots of sensors and rear camera for tight spots - you have no view out of the rear quarter and no idea how far forward the front of the car is.

She has had it a couple of months and long term average mpg was showing 57.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - Engineer Andy

Odd looking car that C-HR, and from what I can tell, poor rear and three-quarter sight lines, but that is rather then trend of modern cars - small windows (especially at the rear of the car) to likely improve stiffness (handling) and in-crash safety at the expense of all-round visibility. Then charge the buyer several £000s+ for parking sensors, blind spot warning systems and cameras.

I'd rather have the larger (but not huge) windows of my current car, still decent safety and better visibilty for the driving experience, with (seemingly) no blind sports to worry about. I'd rather have some of that money save being spent on window glass that is more resiliant to heat transfer (its available on the commercial building market, admitedly at a reasonable price increase) and high UV (all types of note) resistance to reduce the adverse effects of the sun in hot weather.

Well that's me joined the club. 17 plate 1.2T 20K miles for under £10K.

It's as pleasant a drive as I remember from the holiday hire car, the 1.2T engine is a peach (chain cam too) £30 road tax and currently averaging over 50mpg (although no town driving yet)

As all the reports say, it's not a car for enjoying driving fast on the twisties (although it's perfectly fine) and our old 1.2 TSi Seat Leon which our daughter now has was much better in this regard, but it's far more comfortable over bumps and potholes than the Leon was with its rather firm suspension.

I return to work on Monday (nothing to do with Covid!) having retired early then regretted it so the Auris should be perfect for a hassle free 3 years before I retire again (properly this time!) at 60 and trade the Auris in for something with a bit more pizzazz (probably a bloomin' Corolla knowing me!).

the Auris should be perfect for a hassle free 3 years

Only if it's been serviced to Toyota's recommendations, with receipts from a VAT registered garage.

Do you have that proof?

I walked away from a young Toyota because when I asked the dealer about its service record, they said we'll service it before you buy it.

Yep, bought from the local Toyota main dealer who also serviced it.

Wouldn’t be too concerned, I doubt you’ll ever have cause to claim on the warranty anyway. My Toyota is a decade old with 86,000 miles up, it drives like new and never goes wrong.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - Trilogy.

I had a brief drive in a friend's new C-HR yesterday - probably the only Toyota I wouldn't consider.

Very confined inside and being black seats, black roof lining, black carpet and rear tinted windows it was like sitting in a tank turret!

Thankfully it has lots of sensors and rear camera for tight spots - you have no view out of the rear quarter and no idea how far forward the front of the car is.

Sensors and cameras give designers a reason to create pill boxes on wheels. Of course the public will continue to buy form over functionality.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - Zippy123

Sensors and cameras give designers a reason to create pill boxes on wheels. Of course the public will continue to buy form over functionality.

The new RAV4 doesn't impress me either. The interior seems much dingier than some of its cheaper rivals, though no doubt it will outlast them, you have to enjoy the place you spend half a day in.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - NAthan smith
I understand lockdown has affected everyone but this is truly awful.

what is?

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - John F

We had one on hire a couple of years ago when a local tractor removed our Focus's rear bumper. Mrs F didn't like it - and neither did I. We called it the 'orrible 'orace.

I tried not to but I needed a comfortable 5 door hatchback to transport my elderly parents. The car mags told me buy a golf or audi so I could throw it round corners but locally they were about 5 or6K more for similar age milage and spec. The auris bought from a local Toyota main dealer has 2 years warranty 1 owner7k miles as new condition a 1.2 turbo engine that does 0 - 60 in 10secs 30£ tax and a very quiet smooth ride. Reliability and tons of equipment comesass standard. Please don't be angry with me!

Don't feel embarrassed - you'll have a smug smile on your face when, a few years down the road, you'll still have a reliable car with a lot more money in your back pocket, whilst those others are taking out yet another loan or PCP contract to pay for their next German pimpmobile.

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - primus 1

Saw a Toyota starlet today, can’t remember the reg, but they must have stopped making them years ago, looked immaculate as well

I do apologise, but I bought an auris - _

Saw a Toyota starlet today, can’t remember the reg, but they must have stopped making them years ago, looked immaculate as well

Our old starlet is still working well in Jordan. Sister in law hates the Nissan kicks that replaced it.

There's one local to me that is still going - and that's one from the early 80s! Bright green, too (unmissable).