Volkswagen Lupo - Custom plates-cool and quirky or knobby and jerky? - ONMBDM

The title says it all really. I knock about in my little Lupo when the weather's too s***e for the motorbikes.

Perfect little car for me, my missus is sick of not knowing what to get me n all, she suggested a funny number plate and we were able to find this gogo lup plate...

I've realised my biker humour sometimes doesn't come across to others though, so my question is, if you saw a dinky little lupo driving around with the plates "gogo lup" and a PG tips monkey holding the letter "O" on a sign next to it... Would you get the joke and find it funny, or find yourself thinking "Ey up, hes a bit of a knob!"

Edited by Avant on 23/07/2019 at 16:01

Volkswagen Lupo - Custom plates-cool and quirky or knobby and jerky? - skidpan

"Ey up, hes a bit of a knob!"

That would be my first and only reaction.

But you do realise that these "show" plates are illegal for road use. If you are stopped by plod you will have to replace the plate with a legal one that will spell the correct reg which I would expect to be GO 60 LUP.

If my guess is correct here is the next problem for you. The Lupo went out of production in 2005 and only cars registered from 01 September 2010 onwards are allowed to display a plate with "60" in the index. This would be spotted by the DVLA when you go to transfer the plate thus you would have wasted your money.

The plod do take action over plates. Only last week a Qashqai on the estate behind us that has been displaying a front plate with barely a visible faded front index mark had a big orange sticker on the screen over the drivers side. Next day it had a nice new legal front plate.

Save your money.

Volkswagen Lupo - Custom plates-cool and quirky or knobby and jerky? - ONMBDM

Ay up, I am a bit of a knob after all!

I knew I'd get my answer much quicker here than by searching the web though.

The plate is actually go60 lup, which you're right then, is too new a plate for my car.

I'm kinda glad, I do too much silly stuff just for a laugh..

Thanks for your super helpful reply mate I really appreciate it.

Volkswagen Lupo - Custom plates-cool and quirky or knobby and jerky? - bathtub tom

Do you know the trade call them 'prat plates'? Because only prats would pay a premium for something that identifies them so easily.

Volkswagen Lupo - Custom plates-cool and quirky or knobby and jerky? - Bolt

Because only prats would pay a premium for something that identifies them so easily.

They usually drive like one as well!

Volkswagen Lupo - Custom plates-cool and quirky or knobby and jerky? - Tobias Rawcliffe

I'm not sure your can customise your number plates quite that much but I know that number 1 plates do some pretty cool specs that you can design. I have used them myself a couple of times

(Suspect link deleted)

Edited by Avant on 09/08/2019 at 00:10

Volkswagen Lupo - Custom plates-cool and quirky or knobby and jerky? - alan1302

I'm not sure your can customise your number plates quite that much but I know that number 1 plates do some pretty cool specs that you can design. I have used them myself a couple of times

Have you used them as you work for them though?

Edited by Avant on 09/08/2019 at 00:10

Volkswagen Lupo - Custom plates-cool and quirky or knobby and jerky? - John F

I'm in favour of any legal and decent economic activity that channels money to HMG to help pay my pension. You can admire, laugh at, or laugh with them - or not give a toss, but why denigrate, unless one is an unpleasant human being? Many that have escaped the DVLA's bowdlerisation are amusing, e.g. 2SXY - on an MoT-expired Ferrari. I obtained a 'vanity' - not personal - plate from the DVLA which I hope will add more value than its small cost when I eventually dispose of the car - W12 AYE. It means nothing to anyone apart from northern petrolheads.