New question for Agony Column - Silas Marner

I'm finding the topic of left-foot braking in the Agony Column has become rather boring of late, so I'm thinking of asking a question to kick off a new controversy. Holding the steering wheel at ten-to-two or quarter-to -three might do it?

New question for Agony Column - badbusdriver

I'm finding the topic of left-foot braking in the Agony Column has become rather boring of late

So don't read it.

so I'm thinking of asking a question to kick off a new controversy. Holding the steering wheel at ten-to-two or quarter-to -three might do it?

Why?

New question for Agony Column - Bolt

I'm finding the topic of left-foot braking in the Agony Column has become rather boring of late, so I'm thinking of asking a question to kick off a new controversy. Holding the steering wheel at ten-to-two or quarter-to -three might do it?

Problem I have with those that hold steering wheel at 10 to 2 are that when it comes to steering by shuffling between the two, it takes ages for them to make the turn, and if they do a U turn takes forever causing a traffic jam

on occasions the odd hooter

New question for Agony Column - Terry W

The question of left/right foot breaking, and where to hold the steering wheel are just trivial non-issues involving milliseconds on reation times compared with other impediments to safe driving:

- alcohol consumption

- driving whilst tired

- using phone or texting whilst driving

- poor eyesight

- speeding

- poor maintenance

- substandard tyres

- etc, etc

In brief it is a waste of effort to devote any more time.

New question for Agony Column - 72 dudes

Am I the only one who thought Silas' comment was very tongue-in-cheek?

New question for Agony Column - groaver

Me too 72 dudes.

New question for Agony Column - focussed

As an ex -instructor I claim the casting vote here on the basis of superior knowledge.

Basically it doesn't matter as long as the car remains under control during a steering maneuver.

Instructors are trained to teach the steering wheel shuffle, like drying a large dinner plate with a tea towel - as taught by police driving schools.

The advantage of teaching a method is that it gives the pupils a reference point.

"Do it this way - it's good"

"Doing it it your own way might not be be as good - your choice!"

Edited by focussed on 07/07/2019 at 19:48

New question for Agony Column - John Boy

I drive an auto, but don't do left foot braking, so I have a foot free to steer with at 9o'clock.

New question for Agony Column - focussed

I drive an auto, but don't do left foot braking, so I have a foot free to steer with at 9o'clock.

Or you could play "Duelling Banjos" on the stereo amd tap your left foot to that to keep it occupied? If you can tap your foot that fast of course!

New question for Agony Column - barney100

Think where you hold the wheel is personal preference, I change to suit the next bend or manoeuvre.

New question for Agony Column - edlithgow

The question of left/right foot breaking, and where to hold the steering wheel are just trivial non-issues involving milliseconds on reation times compared with other impediments to safe driving:

- alcohol consumption

- driving whilst tired

- using phone or texting whilst driving

- poor eyesight

- speeding

- poor maintenance

- substandard tyres

There probably isn't data on many of those, but I'd bet poor maintenance in particular (with substandard tyres as a special case) is probably unquantifiable but of low significance, since driver error is where its at.

New question for Agony Column - Leif
We all know that rght foot braking is the second most significant cause of death while driving as it takes several minutes to move the right foot to the brake pedal. The most significant cause is of course the road hump. These vicious beasts shred tyres, leaving the hapless motorist careering into lampposts and other vehicles.

And the correct way to hold a steering wheel is to languidly drape an arm over the steering wheel, with the hand placed at the top of the wheel. Ideally you should be reclining back so as to be nearly horizontal.
New question for Agony Column - bathtub tom
the correct way to hold a steering wheel is to languidly drape an arm over the steering wheel, with the hand placed at the top of the wheel. Ideally you should be reclining back so as to be nearly horizontal.

What are you, an orangutan, the librarian?

New question for Agony Column - Vitesse6

ook

New question for Agony Column - Surreydriver

On hot days, the "correct" way to hold the steering wheel is left handed only. The right arm should be swinging free from the elbow out of the open drivers window. The arm should usually be pointed gently towards the front wheel whilst fingers are gently exercised in the breeze. Experienced exponents also let their passengers do the same (mirror image on the near side). Loud radio completes the soothing effect.

New question for Agony Column - Alby Back
An advanced version of the driving technique described by Surreydriver is to reposition the right hand when halted or or moving slowly to hold the roof on in case a passing roof thief sees an opportunity to benefit.
New question for Agony Column - John F

I usually set the steering wheel as low as possible so I can steer with my knees. This frees up the hands for tasks such as unwrapping sweets, pouring out coffee from one's flask, texting, etc. while remaining in full control of the vehicle.

New question for Agony Column - Alby Back
Quite so. I find automatics so much more convenient for dunking biscuits in my coffee too.
New question for Agony Column - Ian_SW

The one that amazes me are the people who grip the wheel at the ten to two position in a vice like manner, with the car at a complete standstill in a traffic jam and the handbrake on. I suppose at least it prevents them using their mobile phone (see other thread). The same people often then seem to hold the steering wheel at half past six whilst driving on the motorway.

A more subtle question though ... should the thumbs be wrapped around the wheel or pointed upwards when holding it?

New question for Agony Column - John Boy

A more subtle question though ... should the thumbs be wrapped around the wheel or pointed upwards when holding it?

Spoken like someone who's used a starting handle!

The one that amazes me are the people who grip the wheel at the ten to two position in a vice like manner, with the car at a complete standstill in a traffic jam and the handbrake on. I suppose at least it prevents them using their mobile phone (see other thread). The same people often then seem to hold the steering wheel at half past six whilst driving on the motorway.

An IAM instructor taught me to hold the wheel with thumbs pointed upwards. I seem to recall it is a racing driver technique, if the wheel spins round you don’t break your thumbs. However, I now find this method natural, and preferable to t’other method. I feel as if I have more control, and its easier to quickly reposition your hands by sliding them round. I checked an IAM book and it made no mention of either methd though a photo showed the thumbs up grip.

the correct way to hold a steering wheel is to languidly drape an arm over the steering wheel, with the hand placed at the top of the wheel. Ideally you should be reclining back so as to be nearly horizontal.

What are you, an orangutan ...

My cover is blown. What do you expect when you deforest Borneo, so that you can have really crumbly biscuits? I do take exception at being called a librarian. Have you no manners?

New question for Agony Column - Bilboman

An obvious safety aspect that has been missed so far is the soothing effect of a large iced beverage placed in one of the many ideally positioned cup holders. To be slurped at lazily during drives lasting longer than 12 minutes. Needless to say, active cruise control, lane assist and autonomous engine braking all need to be engaged for the ultimate "Route 66" efffect. Rolling up, lighting and puffing away on a ciggy wedged in the corner of the driver's mouth is optional, but RayBans and some kind of hat is mandatory.

Edited by Bilboman on 08/07/2019 at 23:27

New question for Agony Column - RaineMan

I was brought up on a farm and learnt early to keep your thumb(s) out of the way when starting/steering a little Ferguson TVO tractor. There was also an old WW II Jeep and Series I Land Rover.

What about left foot acceleration? Actually a friend has had his car adapted to for this after losing all feeling in the right leg!

New question for Agony Column - Silas Marner

My cover is blown. What do you expect when you deforest Borneo, so that you can have really crumbly biscuits? I do take exception at being called a librarian. Have you no manners?

When 'The Autocar' was cheap enough to buy, 2/6d a week, they described Italian cars as having a driving position designed by the 'Italian Standard Ape'. Can it be that you are, indeed, that eminence, sir? Or should I say, signor?

When 'The Autocar' was cheap enough to buy, 2/6d a week, they described Italian cars as having a driving position designed by the 'Italian Standard Ape'. Can it be that you are, indeed, that eminence, sir? Or should I say, signor?

I'll reply once I've finished my plate of pasta.

New question for Agony Column - Smileyman

I partially disagree with the suggested use of arms on hot days (but can understand if you don't have an opening sunroof!)

The left arm should be vertical, hand outside the open sunroof to catch the breeze / direct breeze into the car / shading top of head from bright sunlight / catch passing flies and the right arm holding the steering wheel, then after a few minutes alternate, left arm holding the steering wheel and right arm out the open window to catch the breeze, or perhaps make hand signals as neither hand can be used to reach the indicators.

New question for Agony Column - Manatee

Not forgetting that the arm attached to the single hand on the steering wheel should be rested across the steering wheel airbag.