Ford Transit Connect - Timing belt change query - Aneng64

I've been looking at the procedure for changing the timing belt on my wife's T200 Connect (TDDi, 75PS, Endura-Di engine with the wet chain & dry belt arrangement.)

The Haynes manual says that the camshaft and engine must be locked with the various special tools, and the camshaft pulley removed.... It's this last bit that I'm querying.

The belt can easily be removed and refitted without removing the camshaft pulley, but the manual says that it's necessary so the correct timing can be established with the new belt.

The pulley is not keyed - it's just a friction fit as far as I can tell, so it's possible to fit it in any position relative to the camshaft. I can't think of any sensible reason why removal of the pulley is neccessary. The new belt will be exactly the same length and pitch as the old one, and if you have the camshaft and engine locked, and fit the new belt with the exact same number of belt teeth between the driven injector pump pulley and the camshaft pulley (i.e. it's taut), then the timing will not change during the procedure. So why go to the trouble of getting a special puller to take the pulley off ?

Any ideas ?

Ta !

Edited by Aneng64 on 17/04/2019 at 23:40

Ford Transit Connect - Timing belt change query - Chris M

GB will be along soon to bemoan how complicated engines are now, but that's the way it is. My view is that to get timing spot on for better emission control, this is the way manufacturers, in part, achieve it.

The locking tools hold the crankshaft and camshafts in exactly the right place, fit belt, lock tensioner and finally tighten camshaft sprocket. Everything should be spot on unlike lining up dabs of white paint where you can easily be a degree or two out.

Ford Transit Connect - Timing belt change query - elekie&a/c doctor

This is one of the easiest belts to change. You are only timing the diesel pump to the camshaft. . I would just mark the pulleys with paint. Rotate engine and recheck . Make sure you do the job with engine cold. If you buy a quality belt kit, it will come with a new tensioner.