How/Where to report a scammer? - F-32

Hope you can help, I need to know where to report someone who I believe is acting fraudulently in their car buying/selling.

Basically I sold my car to a guy 3 days ago, at first he pretended the car was for himself but it was obvious he was a kerb-side trader. He came equipped with a laptop & dealer-level diagnostic software, asking all kinds of HIGHLY technical questions about the car, most of which I had no idea what they even were.

As a result of the diagnostics, a major problem with the turbo was found, as well as DPF and glow plugs, as a result I sold him the car for a big discount (£5200) sold as seen obviously, as there was quite a few quids worth of repairs to be done. Sure enough when it came time to sign over the V5 he wanted it signed over to him as a trader with the yellow slip.

A few hours after he left he messaged me saying he had scanned the keys and they were reporting the car had done over 100k miles, not the 69k that was showing on the dash. I knew he was talking rubbish as ALL the other evidence, MOT history, service book, HPI certificate, and general condition of the car was all correct and in-line with 69k on a 2007 car. He said he wanted £500 back as I had sold him a car fradulently, or he would sue me. I told him he was talking s*** & I wasnt gonna refund anything.

Now, 3 days later he has advertised the car for sale, at £7000, calling it "the best example in the UK" and "only 69,000 miles", making NO mention of the serious mechanical issues.

Either way you cut it, this guy is a SCAMMER. Either 1) trying to scam me for the supposed "fake mileage", or 2) now KNOWINGLY selling a car that has fake mileage, or 3) now KNOWINGLY selling a car with major faults (£1000+ worth) and not mentioning it in the advert.

I've reported the advert on the website its on, but I'd really LOVE to be able to report him to someone higher up, I've got LOTS of evidence to back all this up! I would hate to see some poor soul buy this car off him and get stuck with a seriously faulty car they didnt know about (there are no dashboard warning lights, hence why I didn't know either!)

Who can I report this scumbag to?

THANKS!!!

Edited by ScamBusta on 18/12/2018 at 19:28

How/Where to report a scammer? - RT

Trading Standards are the place to report it.

Should I post an advert in his area on the same website warning people of the potential problem?

Or would that be opening me up to libel etc? I just don't want someone to rush into buying the car as it LOOKS lovely!

How/Where to report a scammer? - nick62

Ever thought the car is/was actually perfectly OK and he stitched you up on the price by claiming it had "faults" that weren't actually there?

How/Where to report a scammer? - SLO76

Ever thought the car is/was actually perfectly OK and he stitched you up on the price by claiming it had "faults" that weren't actually there?

Exactly the truth! If it had major issues he wouldn’t have wanted it to start with. You’ve been had I’m afraid but sadly there’s little you can do other than learn from it the experience. Not all traders are like this I might add. I often bought cars being advertised privately and regularly didn’t tell them I was a trader until a deal was struck because people get all defensive at the thought that you’d be making a buck from their old car, often being stubborn to negotiate when the reality of selling to a dealer is that they are the (so called) professional and thus they are buying from an informed position which means the law would take a dim view of any attempt to demand a refund as this dodgy Joe has. Next time when faced with someone pulling your car to bits at the kerbside just politely tell them to walk away and you'll sell it to someone else.

Thanks guys.

I do think the faults were genuine, i saw the error codes on the diagnostics and also once it was brought to my attention, I did notice what he was talking about with the turbo fault, i guess I had just got used to it and not realised it was wrong. I believe the faults were genuine, so I'm ok that part and with the deal itself. It's his shady conduct that is worrying me.

I just phoned, posing as a buyer, and he said its all working fine and mileage is genuine. So I told him who I really was and he got pretty defensive.

One minute he was saying BMW main dealer confirmed key data was incorrect due to a flat battery and the mileage WAS genuine after all. Next minute after I had told him I was thinking of putting a call in to trading standards he then said he was still dubious about the mileage, pointing the finger at me still. Now he has text me saying mileage IS genuine, matter closed.

Told him all it would have taken was a text to say sorry i made a mistake, which he should have done the MINUTE the dealer confirmed the truth. I do believe he has fixed the faults (sent me pictures of the car with those bits being changed) so that bit seems ok.

Basically something about this guy just doesn't sit right with me. He's advertised it as a private seller. When I phoned up he said he was a trader. Advert makes no mention of a warranty yet he said he gives all cars 3 months warranty. Just makes me feel uneasy. I said if he's got nothing to hide he's got nothing to fear from trading standards.

I checked the name of the company I signed the car over to, it was SLIGHTLY different from the name of the company that is registered to him at his home address. But seemingly that company was dissolved in Jan. Should he still be trading under a dissolved company? I can find NO record of this other company name.

How/Where to report a scammer? - nick62

Just let it go, forget about it, life's too short, (particularly if you are "satisfied" that the so called faults were genuine in you own mind).

You can't get the police to come out when you've been burgled, so good luck with TS!

Yeh I know its the easiest solution just to let it go. But as an honest person my concern is that some poor schmuck will get duped by him somehow, if not on this car, then on another.

Found his ebay feedback just now and there's a couple of people of there who are pretty unhappy with the deals he's done with them.

I just cant stand the thought of crooks getting away with something at the expense of some poor punters hard-earned ££ :-(

Edited by ScamBusta on 18/12/2018 at 21:39

How/Where to report a scammer? - RT

Yeh I know its the easiest solution just to let it go. But as an honest person my concern is that some poor schmuck will get duped by him somehow, if not on this car, then on another.

Found his ebay feedback just now and there's a couple of people of there who are pretty unhappy with the deals he's done with them.

I just cant stand the thought of crooks getting away with something at the expense of some poor punters hard-earned ££ :-(

The report it to Trading Standards.

How/Where to report a scammer? - Gibbo_Wirral

Just a word on people with dealer level diagnostics:

When I buy a car I take my dealer level diagnostic equipment with me, because I always buy Peugeots, and want to check the car out thoroughly. There's lots of us with that equipment, so don't assume that they're all in the trade.

I went to look at one car which had an airbag light on. The owner said it had come on when he was hoovering the car a few days before sale - he must have caught the connector under the seat, he claimed.

But my equipment showed that the fault light first came on several thousand miles ago. It turned out he was a trader working from home and bought it like that.

Secondly - its possible that many of the fault codes were old codes for issues which had been repaired. Whenever I do a diagnostic for someone I check the mileage the fault occurred.

Quite often the repair is carried out but the faults are not cleared.

I then clear the faults and run a second scan.

So if anyone does show up to buy your car like this, make sure they clear all fault codes after showing you and then run another diagnostic scan.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 19/12/2018 at 13:02

How/Where to report a scammer? - KJP 123

First, there is consumer legislation – to protect buyers. I don’t know of any to protect sellers – so give it up now.

You have no idea what the diagnostics meant, do you? A big, minor or even fixed problems.

Any private sale is “as seen” unless you have made some representation.

He cut you down on price and you are unhappy about that. If there are problems with the car that is between him and a subsequent purchaser.

“I would hate to see some poor soul buy this car off him and get stuck with a seriously faulty car they didnt know about”. Really? So if I bought the car as a private sale and found expensive problems you would refund me some money? No, it’s just about money.

How/Where to report a scammer? - gordonbennet

Whilst this bod has one over on you, and we understand why it's annoyed you, apparently he's fixed the car so the next buyer should have no trouble.

He's going to make a profit on the car, well that's what traders do, it appears you are in full agreement the car was faulty and he's fixed it at some cost, i don't see the problem.

He might be a liar and a sneaky unpleasant blighter, but then the people at the top of our govts share such traits, and no one is going to do anything about them except vote for them by the million (and once more expect a different result), forget him and enjoy Christmas and hopefully your new car.

KJP123 you couldn't be more wrong. I have NO problem with the deal done money-wise.

My only concern was that at the time, it appeared this guy was either trying to con me regarding the supposedly clocked car, or was trying to sell it on now knowing that it was clocked. Also my concern was him selling on an un-fixed car knowing it had issues,

He's confirmed its been fixed, confirmed the mileage IS correct as I said, so I'm satisfied with that now. Still think his behaviour was shady, and I do believe he was trying it on with me to get some £££ back.

I have no problem with a trader buying a car, fixing it up and selling at a profit, thats business! Believe it or not, there are people out there who just don't want to see someone else get ripped off, it was not about the money whatsoever.