Lexus CT 200h - Auto Gearbox Best Practice - V4 Heaven
Hi all,

My first ever car with an auto gearbox is a 2015 Lexus CT200h.

I’m after some best practice advice on the following subjects:

***Should I drop it into ‘N’ at the traffic lights or should I hold it in ‘D’ and keep the brakes on until the lights change to green?

***I’ve not been bothering to put the (foot operated) handbrake on when parked, I’ve just left it in ‘P’. Good or bad? All of my parking is on flat ground at home and at work.

***If I do put the handbrake on when parked, is there a best practice sequence to this? Eg, brake to a halt, apply handbrake, select ‘P’ or some other sequence of doing this?

***Is there a best practice driving off sequence after parking up?

Thanks all for your info!
Lexus CT 200h - Auto Gearbox Best Practice - Big John
*Should I drop it into ‘N’ at the traffic lights or should I hold it in ‘D’ and keep the brakes on until the lights change to green?
I’ve not been bothering to put the (foot operated) handbrake on when parked, I’ve just left it in ‘P’. Good or bad?

Please do not hold in D at traffic lights - this will just blid the driver following you

I'd also use the handbrake - I've had autos in the past that I've just usually used "P" but have had hassle come MOT when the handbrake mechanism didn't work properly due to lack of use.

Lexus CT 200h - Auto Gearbox Best Practice - gordonbennet

Doesn't the engine stop anyway when you come to a halt in a Toyota hybrid, they always have whenever i've driven them, me? i'd just let it do what it want to.

The foot operated parking brake should be used regularly to keep it all working nicely.

Selecting P may well lock the transmission but in the event someone shunted into your car that means the gearbox takes all the strain and it is possible something very expensive could break inside the box, better to apply the parking brake whenever you park as well.

For best practice it doesn't matter, the mechanical parking brake is nothing to do with the transmission, do whatever you feel works for you.

Brake lights at junctions don't really bother me, i try not to look directly into them (with the current light wars in full swing your night vision is completely wrecked anyway), if you were stopping for a 10 minute 3 or 4 way set of roadwork traffic lights that's a bit different.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/12/2018 at 09:01

Lexus CT 200h - Auto Gearbox Best Practice - Gary T

Lexus/Toyota hybrids shouldn't be held in N for any period of time as the traction battery management system will be inoperative and you could risk running it flat. There should be a warning in the handbook about this.

When stationary the car should be in D with the foot brake applied, the engine or electric motor will not try to propel the car so no damage can be done, or in P with the parking brake also applied. In either case, if the the systems decide that the battery needs to be charged the engine will start.

Lexus CT 200h - Auto Gearbox Best Practice - SteveLee

Lexus/Toyota hybrids shouldn't be held in N for any period of time as the traction battery management system will be inoperative and you could risk running it flat. There should be a warning in the handbook about this.

When stationary the car should be in D with the foot brake applied, the engine or electric motor will not try to propel the car so no damage can be done, or in P with the parking brake also applied. In either case, if the the systems decide that the battery needs to be charged the engine will start.

True - as long as you press the brake pedal hard enough, lightly pressing it (which will still be enough to hold the car stationary) will put the car in crawl/hill start mode and the electric motor(s) will be energised, draining the traction battery with no forward motion to show for it.

Lexus CT 200h - Auto Gearbox Best Practice - V4 Heaven
Thanks all for the info so far.

The handbook isn’t very specific, as in “you must” or “you must not”.

I will be using the handbrake more often when parked to save the ‘P’ and, therefore, the transmission from taking all the strain.

Edited by V4 Heaven on 10/12/2018 at 20:12