Time to update? - SLO76
As many of you know, I’ve been running a 2012 VW Polo 1.2 TDi Match as our second car for over 3yrs now and despite the occasional minor problem I’ve been very happy with it. I like the nimble handling but surprisingly supple ride and the 3cyl diesel motor is flexible and has character. It has now done 75,000 miles.

Recently however it has started to show signs of wear with a boot lock that has now failed four times and most of the door rubbers are frayed plus there’s a few rattles and knocks meaning a few quid is overdue spending on the suspension. The rear brakes require stripping and cleaning every 6mths too. I’m also acutely aware of the potential DPF and EGR worries on these engines especially now that it’s doing mostly local running.

It has been good value with an approximate part-ex value of £4K or nearer £4.5k if I can be bothered to sell it myself it has lost just over £3k in 3 years and averaged 55mpg. Repairs, aside from that annoying boot lock have to date been low thanks to VW’s willingness to shell out well beyond the warranty expiration date.

I have spotted a 16 plate Toyota Yaris 1.33 with 31,000 miles at our local Toyta dealer at £7,500 which pretty much matches it for size and running costs but eliminates the diesel reliability worries. Potentially bought for an additional £3.5k. I’m tempted to go all Toyota but the miserly Scot in me hates to spend money.

Thoughts?

Edited by SLO76 on 19/11/2018 at 11:13

Time to update? - gordonbennet

Nothing at all wrong with the Yaris, probably the best used bet in that size segment out there, but you hardly need to be told that.

My own swmbo wouldn't want to spend that much on a car that carries dogs and gets scratched in car parks, but swmbo's vary in wants and needs, your particular model may wish for the newer car and nothing wrong with that, if you can do the swap for £3.5k and it puts you in good books for a good long time then it would be an excellent investment.

An alternative could be to find via your connections and searches a slightly older but cared for Yaris for similar cost to the outgoing Polo, similar to how you bought the Avensis, and spend a few hundred quid on a suitable private reg number which is then permanent to her, might just tickle your swmbo's fancy.

It seems a shame that you have long learned trade buying and selling knowledge and contacts but end up buying via the same part ex routine from a main dealer that any normal punter would have to follow in most cases.

Just another thought though, would a slightly larger investment in a used hybrid Yaris be a better long term bet? ridiculously cheap to run and in its element on the use your good lady gives it?

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/11/2018 at 11:30

Time to update? - SLO76
It seems a shame that you have long learned trade buying and selling knowledge and contacts but end up buying via the same part ex routine from a main dealer that any normal punter would have to follow in most cases.”

I could sell it privately and stalk the auctions for an ex-fleet example in an attempt to save money but it means effort and with no auction account now it also means pretty much every penny saved would be wiped out by the painfully high fees Joe Public has to pay these days.

Plus I’ve always said that main dealer approved used is where the best stock is and they’re worth paying a bit more for and I do need this to be utterly dependable as swmbo will be using it with boy wonder onboard. I’m also in the positive position of having a very retailable part-ex in good condition with full dealer history that will appeal to the dealer too so I know I’ll get strong money for it but keep it another year and it’ll fall out of this window.

Sadly the trade contacts I used to interact with are no more as both main dealers I used to buy stock from have sadly gone to the wall. I am now ordinarily Joe Punter but armed with a bit of know-how. I’ll nip in to see how keen they are especially now at such a quiet time of the year.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/11/2018 at 11:44

Time to update? - RT
It seems a shame that you have long learned trade buying and selling knowledge and contacts but end up buying via the same part ex routine from a main dealer that any normal punter would have to follow in most cases.” I could sell it privately and stalk the auctions for an ex-fleet example in an attempt to save money but it means effort and with no auction account now it also means pretty much every penny saved would be wiped out by the painfully high fees Joe Public has to pay these days. Plus I’ve always said that main dealer approved used is where the best stock is and they’re worth paying a bit more for and I do need this to be utterly dependable as swmbo will be using it with boy wonder onboard. I’m also in the positive position of having a very retailable part-ex in good condition with full dealer history that will appeal to the dealer too so I know I’ll get strong money for it but keep it another year and it’ll fall out of this window. Sadly the trade contacts I used to interact with are no more as both main dealers I used to buy stock from have sadly gone to the wall. I am now ordinarily Joe Punter but armed with a bit of know-how. I’ll nip in to see how keen they are especially now at such a quiet time of the year.

If buying from a main dealer, your long experience will help you spot minor issues and your negotiation skills are probably better than most.

Time to update? - daveyjp

Could be a good time to change as you have value in your current car and the Yaris will still have warranty.

We've had our 17 plate 1.5 Yaris 8 months and it is typical Japanese - very easy to drive (although I find the brakes quite harsh, probably as I'm used to driving a weighty Forester and not a lightweight Yaris). It does exactly what we want from it - it is happy round town and with 110bhp is more than happy on the motorway and will accommodate 5 - as it did this weekend.

Mpg probably won't be comparable - expect low to mid 40s as a long term average if you just do local trips.

Time to update? - corax

If you buy the Yaris and get to the Polo's age and mileage, I doubt the Yaris will show any of those signs of wear (apart from maybe droplinks), and you will not be having those thoughts of changing, unless you're bored!

Time to update? - Avant

Sounds like just the right time to make the decision about the Polo - change now or run into the ground.

I hesitate to give you advice as you know far more about buying and selling cars than the rest of us - but as you've asked, I'd say go for the Yaris.

- It'll last a long time: as you know, nothong soldiers on like an old Toyota.

- The highish mileage is probably a plus point as long as it hasn'lt been hammered: it won't have spent its life tootling down to the shops driven by octogenarian, clutch-slipping Peggy Punter.

- My elder daughter had several 1.3 Yarises, and they were all much livelier and better to drive than the magazines would have you believe. She's a safe driver but she hasn't got a lot of 'car sympathy' - but none of the Yarises ever missed a beat.

Time to update? - nellyjak

Sounds a good time to change but that's a decision for you to make of course.

As for your choice if you did.?...I wholeheartedly agree with the 1.33 Yaris...my wife has had her 1.33 for nearly three years now (her third Yaris) and it hasn't been any trouble whatsoever...we have only replaced tyres and had it serviced each year (which has effectively been only an oil and filter change)...it's done 34k miles now and been totally reliable.

We have been totally Toyota for some years now and given the reliability we have had with our vehicles we won't be going away from the brand anytime soon.

Good luck.

Time to update? - madf

Son has owned his 2012 Yaris 1.TR for 4 years now. It has done 74k miles..

All he has spent on it is for new tyres and servicing. Everything works like new..

Time to update? - drd63
That’s quite a list of issues on a car that’s only 6 years and 75k miles old. And people still think a VW Is well made. That sounds woeful. Madf’s Yaris is what I would expect.
Time to update? - SLO76
That’s quite a list of issues on a car that’s only 6 years and 75k miles old. And people still think a VW Is well made. That sounds woeful. Madf’s Yaris is what I would expect.

It’s been a fairly constant number of minor irritants more than anything major to be fair to it but yes VW quality ain’t what it was. I’d rather they returned to more basic cars but better made.
Time to update? - landmarked

We've had a 2011 1.33 Yaris for >5 years and it has lived a hard life - all short trips, speed humps lives out on the road in a busy area (rain, snow, baked-on tree sap...), no mechanical sympathy from any of the drivers.

It has had 0 faults and still looks and drives great - the silver paint is especially tough compared to German cars I've owned. The door seals etc. do seem to last better - my Golf seals rotted out inside 6 years when it lived outside, and the heavy doors (that give that oh-so-satisfying "quality clunk") started to drop!

Only downside I would see over the Polo is a less premium interior and perhaps a bit less chassis fluency on B-roads.

Time to update? - SLO76
“Only downside I would see over the Polo is a less premium interior and perhaps a bit less chassis fluency on B-roads.”

Currently the biggest for keeping it. I do like the way it covers the sort of bumpy, winding B roads we have up here. I’d say it has one of the best handling/ride balances of any supermini. Not as much fun as a Swift, Fiesta or Mazda 2 but rides better and is still enjoyable plus the torque of the wee 3cyl diesel gives decent pace without much effort. It’ll have to be petrol next time. I might leave it and save a few more pennies for a decent late model facelift TSi petrol instead.
Time to update? - catsdad
£3.5k to go four years newer looks tempting.

Both cars will incur unavoidable depreciation. Sticking with four years but going into the future, to 2022, the Yaris will still be worth £4k plus and the Polo would be worth, say, £2k. So the Yaris depreciates only £1.5k more than the Polo over those four years.

For that extra £1.5k you get a newer, warranted, car. The Polo is more likely to incur expensive servicing and repairs over which could narrow the gap further.

I know these figures are speculative and they assume you can afford the initial outlay. However man-maths says its less than a quid a day over four years in extra depreciation if you buy the Yaris. Over longer periods the gap would be even less as the depreciation flattens on both cars.
Time to update? - Nobby Clark

Hi SLO.

If I were in your position I would definitely change now to the Yaris. Do it now whilst your Polo is worth decent money and whilst the dealers are quiet this time of year.

That's just my 2p! :)

Time to update? - SLO76

Hi SLO.

If I were in your position I would definitely change now to the Yaris. Do it now whilst your Polo is worth decent money and whilst the dealers are quiet this time of year.

That's just my 2p! :)

Agree. I’ve still not had time to pop in but they’re certainly quiet with nothing moving off their stock in the last week or so I’ve been watching. Short staffed at work so I’m on 6-7 days every week currently trying to cover.
Time to update? - SLO76
£3.5k to go four years newer looks tempting. Both cars will incur unavoidable depreciation. Sticking with four years but going into the future, to 2022, the Yaris will still be worth £4k plus and the Polo would be worth, say, £2k. So the Yaris depreciates only £1.5k more than the Polo over those four years. For that extra £1.5k you get a newer, warranted, car. The Polo is more likely to incur expensive servicing and repairs over which could narrow the gap further. I know these figures are speculative and they assume you can afford the initial outlay. However man-maths says its less than a quid a day over four years in extra depreciation if you buy the Yaris. Over longer periods the gap would be even less as the depreciation flattens on both cars.

Pretty much my thinking. It’ll cost almost exactly what I’m predicting the Polo is likely to need in added repairs and maintenance over the next 4yrs plus it’ll be less hassle.
Time to update? - SLO76
After a few months of shopping around I am well and truly fed up with the state of most 2-4yr old cars I’ve found. Almost all have had terrible quality paint repairs thanks to the trend for leasing or running cars on never-ending PCP people never own their cars and thus don’t care about them. If there’s any paint damage they patch it cheaply before returning it and dealers fearful of losing a repeat sale are turning a blind eye to it.

I’ve been in and out of this trade for many years (currently out thankfully) and I’ve never seen such poor stock presentation at dealers even the bulk of so-called approved used examples are in poor condition and will become very tatty quickly. I’ve instead spent a few quid on minor issues Polo was suffering from and will treat it to a full valet, it’ll now be staying as will the cash sitting in the bank.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/08/2019 at 17:25

Time to update? - Andrew-T
After a few months of shopping around I am well and truly fed up with the state of most 2-4yr old cars I’ve found. Almost all have had terrible quality paint repairs ...

So presumably the corollary to that is that any good-quality vehicles that turn up are snapped up before very long?

Are things just the same at a car supermarket?

I think you're going to have to take some of your own advice here SLO, and it might be a wide search area, mainly right down to the south of that England, and look out for those rare mature one owner cars being sold by their caring owners (or beneficiaries) privately, but these might tend to be around the same age as your current car (or older), which may not tempt your other half.

Looking out for those rare good ones to crop up, and being prepared to travel instantly and buy then and there has been the way good Landcruisers are found for some years now, there's plenty of (different type of) abused examples out there on dealer forecourts, all polished and looking good...until you slide underneath.

Just out of interest i found mine at a motorhome dealers where it had been traded in for a new one by a posh caravanner, which pricked my well heeled previous owner antenna and i shot 75 miles rapidly bought it the same morning it went online, fortunately on one of my weekday rest days, i think you too are going to have to think laterally and be prepared to act quickly/impulsively.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/08/2019 at 18:31

Time to update? - SLO76
I have my eyes peeled for a nice (being sold due to bereavement or giving up driving) private sale. I’m going to bypass the PCP and lease rubbish and buy direct from a nice private seller but this takes time, patience and an open mind regarding choice. I’ll have to wait until something I want pops up and I’ll sell my own privately for a good £1k more than the overpriced dealers were offering.

I had whittled my shortlist down to Ford Fiesta, Suzuki Swift and Mazda 2 but none were of acceptable quality, some were downright appalling so I’ll open that list up a bit and aim to bag a private bargain.

In the meantime Polo has just been serviced, Mot’d and had rear bump stops replaced, a new front calliper and new disks and pads. Rattles are gone and wee car is running spot on for 80,000 miles. I’ve also a list of potential buyers waiting on it. There’s no rush which is just as well as I hate spending money on motors.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/08/2019 at 19:04

none were of acceptable quality, some were downright appalling so I’ll open that list up a bit and aim to bag a private bargain.

Nail on head, amusingly i wasn't looking to replace my then Landcruiser at the time, but when this one came up i knew it had to be bought or i'd forever regret, it wasn't a private sale but neither was it in the hands of a car dealer either.

Time to update? - bazza

Mebbee add the Yaris to your list, or auris?

Time to update? - SLO76

Mebbee add the Yaris to your list, or auris?

Both were on it but vetoed by swmbo. That 28,000 mile 64 plate Auris 1.4 diesel I looked at the other week for bro in law was up to scratch but boss no likey so it’s a no go.
Time to update? - Avant

Ah - so that was why you didn't go for that quite promising Yaris back in November last year.

I wonder why she vetoed it: as I said at the time, Yarises -the bigger-engined ones anyway - are a lot better to drive than the testers make out.

Time to update? - SLO76

Ah - so that was why you didn't go for that quite promising Yaris back in November last year.

I wonder why she vetoed it: as I said at the time, Yarises -the bigger-engined ones anyway - are a lot better to drive than the testers make out.

I agree. They’re excellent little cars, an absolute zero risk buy if you get a good one. It’ll run and run but she’s no Toyota fan as shown by the stick I’ve been given by replacing her CRV with a 9yr old Avensis Estate. It looks and drives as If it was three years old if even but not snobby enough for image conscious boss. Finally got her to accept either a Fiesta or a Mazda 2 as a replacement for Polo both of which are robust and a little more modern but cont find a good one without spending a fortune, which is something I’m allergic to. We’ll just have to see where fate takes me. Though the Yaris I was eyeballing last year was purchased by a work colleague instead to replace another Yaris. To date it has been faultless as expected. Come to think of it the car park is gradually filling up with the things along with a few Fiestas and Mazda’s. My influence is being felt, shame wife doesn’t listen the same.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/08/2019 at 01:03

Time to update? - SLO76
“So presumably the corollary to that is that any good-quality vehicles that turn up are snapped up before very long?”

Yup, the Civic I bought for Bro in law the other week was a fine example. A now rare privately owned car that was bought outright then traded in at 6yrs old for another Honda. It had seen no paint and was faultless bar one small stone chip. It was bought by me before the pictures had been added to the online advert.

“Are things just the same at a car supermarket?”

The bulk of their stock comes from lease firms but they do get some very decently priced late letter almost new stock direct from importers and manufacturers so don’t rule them out. I’ve been eyeballing the latest Suzuki Swift 1.0 Boosterjet’s Motorpoint has on at good money. I’ll nip up for a look when I get the chance but yes their older 2 years plus ex fleet and PCP stock has all too often been rejected as approved used because of paint issues, missing histories or just an unpopular spec or colour.
Time to update? - bazza

The Swift's my number one at the moment when I replace the focus and possibly the civic too, depending on whether I go down the van route. A lovely shape and great to drive plus the economy too. Also completely classless which I love in a car. Incidentally where do motorpoint source their vans SLO? Ex hire I guess. They have a good selection tempting me, a bit over budget with the vat added though, just wondering.

Time to update? - SLO76
Yup all ex lease but some pre reg stuff is offloaded to them by manufacturers, importers and big dealers sometimes.
Time to update? - Engineer Andy
“So presumably the corollary to that is that any good-quality vehicles that turn up are snapped up before very long?” Yup, the Civic I bought for Bro in law the other week was a fine example. A now rare privately owned car that was bought outright then traded in at 6yrs old for another Honda. It had seen no paint and was faultless bar one small stone chip. It was bought by me before the pictures had been added to the online advert. “Are things just the same at a car supermarket?” The bulk of their stock comes from lease firms but they do get some very decently priced late letter almost new stock direct from importers and manufacturers so don’t rule them out. I’ve been eyeballing the latest Suzuki Swift 1.0 Boosterjet’s Motorpoint has on at good money. I’ll nip up for a look when I get the chance but yes their older 2 years plus ex fleet and PCP stock has all too often been rejected as approved used because of paint issues, missing histories or just an unpopular spec or colour.

Yep. Some really good offers can be had from time-to-time (though far less than when I bought my [new] Mazda3 from Motorpoint 13.5 years ago - less over-stocking in the EU generally) with unwanted new RHD Euro-imports from the Rep of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta. Sometimes 30% off on a brand new car, and better than many UK-spec ones sourced via brokers.

I suspect such deals will be hard to come by for the moment during the uncertain political times when stock is lower, and I suspect the fallout of Dieselgate and the new emissions/car testing regimes have skewed things as lots of new/pre-regged cars were offered there last summer before the regs changed.

Motorpoint now have about 1500 less cars for sale than when I bought mine and at the level about 2 years or so ago.

They still occasionally have a few ex-showroom/demo cars that could sell, often at REALLY HIGH discounts for the make, Germans included.

Time to update? - nick62

How do they get past the ROI imports speedos being calibrated in km? The last few cars I've hired in Eire have only had km speedos?

Time to update? - Falkirk Bairn

Paper sticker on top of the Km

Odometer is normally switchable from Km to Miles

Time to update? - JonestHon

The French built Yaris is capable of 200k with almost zero mechanical issues, we bought a 2010 1.33 six gears manual at 40k and it is now on 189k.

The only thing that gone wrong is a sticky passenger lock sorted by our local Toyota dealer for around £160 plus needed a new ac aondencer this year at £200. No rust anywhere and this car doesn't have an easy life with a mix of Motorway and various errands.

It gets a new set of tyres at the front every 20k or so on 185 60 15 you can get premium tyres alround for £50 a corner (just fitted Veridestien Track5 for £45 a corner at Protyre), I service it myself and for the first time it failed the MOT this year for deteriorated shoes at the back, drums opened dully, few passes with Emery paper on the shoes, a bit of cleaning and it passed second time.

I prefer the Yaris MK2 to the MK3 tbh due to the moving/sliding rear seats, you can get an instant 620+ litre boot without pushing the seats down, something lacking in the MK3.

Like you Slo we also have the Avensis Tourer ValveMatic 1.8 as our long range wagon and the Yaris is a perfect match doing all the local stuff without a fuss or visiting the garage.

Edited by JonestHon on 27/08/2019 at 23:46

Time to update? - Car

SLO76 have you consider another Polo or its near relations the Ibiza or Fabia with a TSI petrol engine ?

Time to update? - SLO76

SLO76 have you consider another Polo or its near relations the Ibiza or Fabia with a TSI petrol engine ?

I like the new model but despite being happy with my old 62 plate I do like a change so another identical car bar the engine doesn’t do it for me. Supply is very much not meeting demand in the used market for the new model so prices are a bit high for my miserly mind.
Time to update? - Engineer Andy

Paper sticker on top of the Km

Odometer is normally switchable from Km to Miles

Yep - that's what they did for mine (well, proper plastic speedo sticky cover), which came from Cyprus. Ironically, it doesn't have km on the replacement, so I couldn't drive my car outside the UK, not that this matters to me.

Time to update? - Heidfirst
“So presumably the corollary to that is that any good-quality vehicles that turn up are snapped up before very long?”
Yup, the Civic I bought for Bro in law the other week was a fine example. A now rare privately owned car that was bought outright then traded in at 6yrs old for another Honda. It had seen no paint and was faultless bar one small stone chip. It was bought by me before the pictures had been added to the online advert.

My f2007 Avensis never even made it to an ad. when I sold it to the dealer - they obviously had someone already in mind for it when they bought it. (it's still on the road too going by MOT checker). My 2012 didn't sit around for long either.