Ford focus - Hand brake only just holds car when parked on slig - Delysher

Bought car from second hand dealers. The dealer agreed to put full M.O.T on car on 25/10/2018.

Noticed that the handbrake only just holds car when handbrake pulled up to last link and not holding when stopped on slight gradient.

Any one know about M.O.It's and requirements of how many notches their should be when handbrake is pulled right to last notch ?

Ford focus - Hand brake only just holds car when parked on slig - hardway

Did you not get any kind of warranty?

'cause it sound like you need the rear brakes serviced.

And by that I mean drums off and internals inspected.

Guessing at least new shoes needed.

Oh and I usually shoot for 5/7 clicks.

Ford focus - Hand brake only just holds car when parked on slig - Andrew-T

I think if the service brake performs correctly, maybe the handbrake cable needs adjusting, not difficult at all.

Ford focus - Hand brake only just holds car when parked on slig - galileo

Bought car from second hand dealers. The dealer agreed to put full M.O.T on car on 25/10/2018.

Noticed that the handbrake only just holds car when handbrake pulled up to last link and not holding when stopped on slight gradient.

Any one know about M.O.It's and requirements of how many notches their should be when handbrake is pulled right to last notch ?

Nothing to do with notches, the handbrake must achieve 0.25 g retardation efficiency. This would hold the car on a steep gradient. The MOT on 25/10 is therefore not genuine, I would ask the dealer to fix the handbrake, if he refuses tell him you will report him to Trading Standards and his MOT tester to VOSA.

Ford focus - Hand brake only just holds car when parked on slig - Railroad.

Nothing to do with notches, the handbrake must achieve 0.25 g retardation efficiency. This would hold the car on a steep gradient. The MOT on 25/10 is therefore not genuine, I would ask the dealer to fix the handbrake, if he refuses tell him you will report him to Trading Standards and his MOT tester to VOSA.

This has changed from when I last carried out an MOT test then. It always used to be a measurement of efficiency, which was a calculation of the braking force and the vehicle weight. The minimum requirement for the parking brake was 17% efficiency. As long as that is achieved it will pass.

The OP should ensure that the cables move freely and that it's slackened right off with the levers on the calipers pushed all the way back to their stops. Then pump the footbrake a few times to push out the pistons and then re-adjust the cable.

Ford focus - Hand brake only just holds car when parked on slig - galileo

This link shows parking brake efficiency should be 25% or, for split dual braking systems, 16%. www.motuk.com/mot_manual/3-10.asp..

Presumably the lower figure is based on dual circuit systems unlikely to fail completely. 16% should still hold on most steep hills anyway.