Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - Twinwren
Earlier this week, we witnessed a drunk driver, he'd stopped near where we were after just being involved in an rtc. We didn't realise he was drunk until we approached him to ask if he was ok. He reeked of alcohol . He'd gotten out of his car and ignored us when we said we could smell alcohol on him. He got back into his vehicle at which point we took his keys out of the ignition and retreated to a safe distance to phone the police. The police arrived within 10-15 minutes but during this time, he ran off (well staggered) and returned home, which the police found was 2 short streets away (less than 200 metres). He had left identifying documents with his address in inside his car. The police when straight there and breathisied him, we're told he was over 4 times the legal limit. (And had no insurance!) The police came and took a statement from us and a couple of days later they phoned us to update us. He has pleaded NOT GUILTY saying he drank when he got home. I understand this is called the Hip Flask Defense. Another witness saw the rtc and phoned it in as he drove off (hit a hedge so no other vehicle damaged), they have also identified the person we saw as the driver. He's not a young chap, I'd say over 60.

My question is will the back calculation prove he WAS drunk at the time of driving? Or does he have a chance of getting off? Will the courts give him a heftier sentence for lying? And if found guilty what is he likely to get? I don't know why, but it has really got to us that he has lied about it, he could barely stand up when we saw him, and hadn't noticed we’d got his keys, he even grasped around at the ignition trying to start his car!

Thanks for reading and any information would be appreciated.

Edited by Twinwren on 27/10/2018 at 11:00

Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - Gerry Sanderson

Faced wirth such an attempted get out of jail card police have an estanloished procedure working with forensic to back track to prove whether over the limnit at the material time.

Dhould get his desrved reward,

dvd

Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - Bromptonaut

Use of defense and 'gotten' lead me to ask if OP is in UK or US.

Either way police will have process to deal. In UK he'd be looking at fine, points and a lengthy ban probably with requirement for extended re-test. Possibly jail too.

Sorry, I’m in uk.
Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - Engineer Andy

IMHO, if you observed the man drunk behind the wheel, him then saying he was drinking at home soon after would'nt be a defence as long as the blood test at the cop shop was done quickly enough after you reported him so that any alcohol he consumed after your report hadn't had time to enter his bloodstream in sufficient quantities to affect the level tested.

The good thing is that two people witness him being drunk behind the wheel, so it's not quite as bad as your word against his IF the blood test is incolcnlusive it is done too late. I'm not sure if I'm correct on this (bromptonaut may be able to correct me on this), but that failing the intial breath test test that means the police can arrest you on suspicion of drink driving, but must confirm the actual level of alcohol in the bloodstream (more reliable than the breath test) with a blood test carried out within a specific timeframe, in case the driver does what you say they did.

Thanks for your reply.
My understanding is that he didn’t state this was his defense until the following morning when he’d sobered up.
Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - Bromptonaut
My understanding is that he didn’t state this was his defense until the following morning when he’d sobered up.

He would have to show (i) he consumed alcohol after and (ii) it was alcohol consumed after driving that put him over limit. Burden of proof is on driver and will require expert evidence.

www.drinkdrivingsolicitor.co.uk/resource/the-hip-f.../

If was as plastered as he appeared and there was only a short period in which he had opportunity to consume alcohol then he's got little chance of success.

As I understand it the 'hip flask defence' was more of a runner in days of old fashioned single use breathalyser that simply showed presence of alcohol in breath and evidence for conviction was alcohol measured in urine. With modern breath analysis, tighter legislation and authority from Superior Courts on use of 'back calculation' it's MUCH more difficult to run this defence successfully.

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. :- )

Edited by Twinwren on 29/10/2018 at 20:12

Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - Andrew Greening

At the station he will be breathalysed on an intoximeter for a definitive 2 readings of alcohol/breath to determine if he is going up or down as to alcohol content. If he refuses the he will face an automatic ban and generally if the court have nothing to determine actual levels they will hit him harder

He will be interviewed under caution when sober enough and questioned about what he drank before and after the event ,

Any artricles/alcohol he allegedly used will be seized and sent away for Forensic scientists to determine whether he was or was not over the limit at the time of the incident, together with the Intoximeter readings and a lot of his personal details for the scientists to make their deliberation.

Your evidence may be used as to his drunkeness at the scene and can be used as corroborartive evidence if he is stupid enough to maintain Not Guilty.

He will be requested to attend the station where he/ his Solicitor will be given a copy of the Scientists findings, if he is found over the limit after the Scientific findings he will be charged regardless.

He can maintain that stance even in Court and it will not go down well for him, if he two and a half times over the limit he will face a 3 year ban, ordered to take an extended test and a heavier fine imposed by the Court if found Guilty after all evidence has been offered

Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - Middleman

He can maintain that stance even in Court and it will not go down well for him, if he two and a half times over the limit he will face a 3 year ban, ordered to take an extended test and a heavier fine imposed by the Court if found Guilty after all evidence has been offered

That isn’t quite correct. Notwithstanding the fact that this individual has allegedly blown four times the limit (for which the guideline disqualification is indeed three years), the sentencing guideline for 2.5 times the limit (87.5 in breath) is a disqualification of between 17 and 22 months. However, those convicted on a level greater than are considered “high risk offenders. They will need to satisfy the DVLA doctors that they are medically fit to drive again. A defendant will have to complete, and pay for, a medical assessment including blood tests before their licence is reinstated.

There is no mandatory re-test requirement for excess alcohol offences. However the court has discretion to disqualify until a test is passed where an offender is convicted of any endorsable offence. Where disqualification is obligatory (as with driving with excess alcohol), the extended test applies. In other cases, it will be the ordinary test. The discretion to order a re-test is likely to be exercised where there is evidence of inexperience, incompetence or infirmity, or the disqualification period is lengthy (that is, the offender is going to be ‘off the road’ for a considerable time).

If convicted at 2.5 times the limit a fine would be the probable outcome (though a low level Community Order may be considered). At four times the limit custody would be the immediate consideration with the a high level Community Order a possible alternative.

Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - concrete

Incredible! I thought all these loopholes were plugged years ago. In a case such as this I thought it was fairly automatic that prosecution would take place if you were over the limit and the actions of deliberately drinking alcohol after the event would be construed as attempting to pervert the course of justice. I hope the police forensics can predict with some accuracy that the driver was drunk at the time of the RTC. Pity there are still such awful characters around who would do this sort of thing.

Cheers Concrete

Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - HGV ~ P Valentine

gotta go ou it is incredible, yes I would have thought that in these days where they claim to be able to prove almost anything it would be a smal dunk, but here is the problem ..

First let me say I hate with a passion drink drivers, I think th elaw is far too lenient and all caught should be banned for life, and I mean life, but that is for another time.

• The defence can be used if they caught him indoors ( the law is an ass folks, sorry ) and it would be difficult to prove he had actually drunk it behind the wheel.
  • If you had dashcam footage of him with a bottle in his hand then the video would have to be pretty clear.
  • Bad driving, even terrible dangerious driving is not in itself proof unless you can say you def saw him with an alcoholic drink in his hand and it can be backed up by someone else not in your car.
  • the fact he ran away is in itself a crime as you are not allowed to leave the scene of an accident but the polce rarely prosecute that on its own.

got to go out of time.

Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - HGV ~ P Valentine

• a friend of mine got hit by a drunk driver and he must have known what he was doing because he go into the ambulance pretty quick, and inside the ambulance the police could not breathalyze him.

As I said the law is an ass.

Thanks to all who replied. I meant to update when it went to court so sorry for the delay.

He changed his plea to guilty and was banned for 28 months and has to do 80 hours of community service.
Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - Wee Willie Winkie

Good to hear a reasonable punishment.

As an aside.... "

• a friend of mine got hit by a drunk driver and he must have known what he was doing because he go into the ambulance pretty quick, and inside the ambulance the police could not breathalyze him."

Not at all true.

Drunk driver - Hip Flask defense - Brit_in_Germany

Not at all true.

Looks like you have to get to hospital first:

www.drinkdriving.org/police_hospital_procedure.php