Car warranty - Big bird 1967
Hi I took a car warranty out in February this year on my car unfortunately my car broke down on the 23 rd of March so I call the warranty company up to tell them what had happened ( MotorEasy) anyway time passed telephone calls after telephone call finally they send a engineer Out to the car to look at it the garage where the is had explained what the issue was ( Timing chain had snapped) told Motor easy the cost £2200 due to the work taking the engine out but they would not accept this any got told yesterday that the warranty does not cover this as it was a ongoing issue with the car .so any faults that come up with the warranty could not be covered as any car has potentially has ongoing issues so is is not worth the paper it is wrote on .i have learnt a very expensive lesson hear BE WARNED DO NOT take a warranty out with MOTOR EASY
Car warranty - Galaxy

You've learned the hard way, I'm afraid.

Most people on here already know that most of these third -party warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. It's not just Motor Easy warranties, it's all of them.

The only warranties that are worth having are those backed by major manufacturers

Car warranty - SLO76
A timing chain is not a wear and tear item, it is a failure if it snaps. The only way they can class this as an ongoing problem is if it had been obviously noisy on the buildup to this failure and/or you have skipped services. Chain driven engines need fresh oil at least once a year.

These warranty firms boil my blood but don’t let them away with it, inform them that you will be seeking to recover the cost of any repair via the small claims court. The thought of litigation may spur them to pay out but it depends very much on the small print and on any claims limit the policy has. These aftermarket warranties are utter garbage in almost every case. A total misselling scandal.

Out of curiosity what type of car was it and the age and mileage? If this is a ten year old Corsa with 100,000 miles up then you shouldn’t expect any warranty to cover a thing nor should you buy or be sold one.
Bmw 320 d 6 years old 120k miles
Car warranty - Redcar01

Let us know what happens

Told garage to fix it and I will have to pay going to the ombudsman and the papers will make them pay one way or another

Edited by Big bird 1967 on 03/05/2018 at 11:44

Car warranty - Andrew-T
Told garage to fix it and I will have to pay going to the ombudsman and the papers will make them pay one way or another

I'm no expert, but I doubt that you will get much more than sympathy. If the car has an impeccable servicing record from new, just maybe worth a try, in view of the major cost, but you may be throwing good money after bad.

Of course it is just possible that the repair is less serious and you may be taken for a ride? Engine out, definitely?

Edited by Andrew-T on 03/05/2018 at 15:38

Car warranty - TheGentlemanThug

A warranty on a car with that sort of mileage is less than worthless really. The things most likely to go wrong and most expensive to repair (clutch, flywheel, suspension, etc.) will be classed as wear and tear items.The small print may say otherwise, but I'd be very surprised.

Just out of interest, what made you choose the car?

Car warranty - Brit_in_Germany

Another favourite get-out is not covering "consequential damage" which sounds reasonable on paper but in cases like this, getting the costs of changing the chain paid but not the repair costs for the engine would be laughable.

Car warranty - catsdad
The T&Cs on their website are pretty clear that there are limits on older and higher mileage cars. These will be specified in the specific policy. They also won't cover pre-existing faults which seems a pretty good get out for them.

I assume they argue that a policy taken out in Feb won't cover a chain that fails in March as it must have been on its way out at the time of taking out the policy? I don't see how a non-expert customer can be expected to know the condition of a chain. Unless its been cited as an advisory in a service? Or its not had regular oil changes?

On the plus side they will cover consequentials and wear and tear - but the latter not in the first 90 days. I didn't trawl through all the detail to see how else this was limited.

If the OP has satisfied all of the detailed terms of his own policy then the company do offer the opprtunity to email the CEO direct. Presumably this is just to an account run by a service advisor but its a free way to potentially get a contribution.

Car warranty - SLO76
Bmw 320 d 6 years old 120k miles

These are notorious for timing chain failure among many other woes. You should never have bought an old BM diesel on such a limited budget and no warranty will ever be worth the cost of the paper it’s printed on, on a vehicle like this. You couldn’t offer cover as it’s almost guaranteed to fail spectacularly. Sorry to pour petrol on the flames but you’d be best getting shot of this as soon as you can and buy something more mundane and reliable that fits your budget. I hope you get some luck here but I highly doubt you will.