Smart motorways, variable speed cams - gooddriver

Hey,

I rarely drive on the motorway and have the following question as it worries me.

As I drive along a m/way, as I approach variable speed signs, lets say I was doing 70mph in a 70 zone and close to the cams the cams switch on, or change from a higher speed limit to a lower one. As I'm quite close, it would be dangerous to slam on the brakes to slow down to 60/50/40/etc.

My question is, what is, if any grace period from cams changing to a lower speed and driver crossing at higher speed.

IMO, it should be at 7/10 seconds as I find it worrying as I approach these cams and they can constantly change.

Many thanks.

Smart motorways, variable speed cams - Gibbo_Wirral

Some sources online say its one minute.

Form what I've seen, the variable limit usually goes from NSL to 60 then 50 - 40 etc.

I've never seen it jump from 70 to 40.

Possibly I've not been clear. Egg travelling at 70mph then suddenly speed warning. Max speed limit comes on as for 60 40 50 etc as I am close to sign and not want to brake hard I go past the ganatry sign at moreasonable than the new limit. My question is what grace period do I have.

Edited by gooddriver on 30/04/2018 at 14:59

Smart motorways, variable speed cams - Palcouk

If you are in the immediate vacinity when the speed changes it would likely to be dangerous to brake hard. It would be a different matter if traffic was halted

Smart motorways, variable speed cams - concrete

Common sense dictates that a period of grace exists between the new limit being posted and the enforcement cameras being activated for that speed. The usual method is to display limits quite far in advance. The major problem is that the overhead gantry signs are not always accurate, hence motorist tend to treat them with suspicion. I have seen them display warnings for heavy rain in bright sunshine. Someone obviously forgot to switch them off. It does give them a poor reputation. Shame really, used correctly they should be a useful tool in controlling traffic flow.

Cheers Concrete

Smart motorways, variable speed cams - Cris_on_the_gas

There is a 60 second grace period before the cameras start enforcement. This is as stated by Highways England to prevent vehicles having to brake sharply for the lower limit.

Edited by Cris_on_the_gas on 30/04/2018 at 17:12

There is a 60 second grace period before the cameras start enforcement. This is as stated by Highways England to prevent vehicles having to brake sharply for the lower limit.

Thank you but I could not find that in the HC book.

Please direct me to it.

Thank you.

Smart motorways, variable speed cams - Bromptonaut

Please direct me to it.

Thank you.

There's an FOI request/response covering the subject on 'What do They KNow':

www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/with_variable_speed...e

Many thanks.

Smart motorways, variable speed cams - Gibbo_Wirral

Possibly I've not been clear. Egg travelling at 70mph then suddenly speed warning. Max speed limit comes on as for 60 40 50 etc as I am close to sign and not want to brake hard I go past the ganatry sign at moreasonable than the new limit. My question is what grace period do I have.

If there was no limit shown and a speed limit sign did suddenly appear on the "screen", it would most likely be the 60mph one first, rather than 40mph and people slamming their brakes on and rapdily slowing from 80mph to 40. Dropping 10mph shouldn't be an issue.

Then as you proceed further towards the accident or congestion you'll find the next gantry showing 10 mph less and so on.

Smart motorways, variable speed cams - Bromptonaut

If there was no limit shown and a speed limit sign did suddenly appear on the "screen", it would most likely be the 60mph one first, rather than 40mph and people slamming their brakes on and rapdily slowing from 80mph to 40. Dropping 10mph shouldn't be an issue.

Then as you proceed further towards the accident or congestion you'll find the next gantry showing 10 mph less and so on.

Exactly what I saw on M25 yesterday, down to 40 in steps. Limit tended to be adhered to and anyway we were soon crawling. Arrow to leave lanes 1&2 and move to 3&4 was widely ignored as were red wigwags and lane closed cross. Copper or Highways Officer standing in road was having to direct them to move right immediately ahead of accident.

Smart motorways, variable speed cams - concrete

Exactly what I saw on M25 yesterday, down to 40 in steps. Limit tended to be adhered to and anyway we were soon crawling. Arrow to leave lanes 1&2 and move to 3&4 was widely ignored as were red wigwags and lane closed cross. Copper or Highways Officer standing in road was having to direct them to move right immediately ahead of accident.

As I said, drivers take little notice of the signs because they are often ineffectual or wrong. There are those of course who are so important and need to get to their destination quickly that the rules don't apply to them. We all know them and see them often!!

Cheers Concrete