The increasing popularity of SUVs - Alby Back
SUVs - Sports Utility Vehices or Sitty Uppy Vehicles as I prefer to call them. My wife has one, a Qashqai, in fact we've had a couple of them. She loves it, and says she much prefers it to a "normal" car, but I can't really get it out of her just why she does.

She certainly doesn't need any extra ground clearance for her usage and it's a 2WD so it's not like it's any off road ability she's favouring. She just says that she likes it because it's "chunky".

I do drive it sometimes, and while it's ok, it's certainly dynamically compromised by its height, relying on too hard suspension to control body roll. I feel too high up, particularly on corners where it feels like you're driving while sitting on a bar stool.

If you're carrying heavy luggage, it's harder to lift it in and out, and getting anything on or off a roof rack is further compromised by the extra height.

I really have tried to like it, but it mostly just irritates me with its form over function limitations.

And yet, it's the fastest growing segment of the market. It must be me who's missing something.

I've read that those with limited mobility find it easier to get in and out of taller vehicles, which is fair enough, but I can't believe that most of them are bought for that reason. So, what then is the attraction?

I'm resigned to the fact that my wife just prefers that type of car, and indeed to the fact that it seems that plenty of others do too, but I am curious to know if anyone has any theories as to why, other than "it looks chunky" ?

Oh and my dog gets car sick in her car, which he doesn't in my more conventional estate, so he doesn't like it either ! ;-)

Edited by Alby Back on 21/04/2018 at 11:02

The increasing popularity of SUVs - sandy56

My new (used car purchase) SUV is not as wide as my previous car, a large estate, and not as long. I have better visibility when driving down lanes etc, and slightly worse mpg. 40 vs 44 mpg. It can carry more, in the boot, the seats fold easier for my frequent use as a load hauler, is just as quiet and handles OK.

SO I have no regrets on changing and will keep it for a few years. I can understand why people like them and there is now more and better choices of SUV type vehicles.

Edited by sandy56 on 21/04/2018 at 11:05

The increasing popularity of SUVs - KB.

Rather suspect this has been done before, and likely to be discussed again, but, never mind, I guess that's the purpose of the forum.

By way of a slightly alternative approach, why do some people seem to like sports cars?

They're so low they're tricky to get in and out of.

The boot is so small you can't get the week's shopping in.

There's only two seats so you can't give two people a lift home.

They're so low you can't see over the top of all the SUVs in front of you. (oops, maybe shouldn't have mentioned that).

They have those awkward canvas type roofs that are noisy - and leak - and the birds mess sticks to them.

-------------------

OK, yes, I'm speaking with tongue firmly in cheek ... but you know what I mean i.e. horses for courses.The actual, practical advantages of a higher riding vehicle were acknowledged above therefore we all know why people buy them. Plus, I suppose, there is a bit of a psychological aspect attatched to the affair insofar as they may well confer a certain something whereby the extra height and (in some cases) a slightly "in your face" demeanour makes the drivere feel ............well, I'll leave the reader to fill in what it is that the driver feels when dring one.

But they're not all Range Rover Overfinches and Porsche Macans and some are very modest and innocuous looking - but just with a little bit more height, which, to me, seems perfectly understandable and shouldn't (IMO) make anyone wonder why they find favour. Obviously the Rangies and Porsches have their place too (although it just happens they don't fit in at my place - so there's me showing my prejudices, as we all, sometimes , do).

Edited by KB. on 21/04/2018 at 12:08

The increasing popularity of SUVs - corax

I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages with SUV's.

After owning a Forester for for five years, I would rather have a similar replacement given the choice. I like the higher driving position, the higher boot floor for getting heavy items out (I am puzzled as to why you think the lower floor of an estate is easier to lift heavy items from, surely you have to stoop more).

I have to mention that I've had back problems and find the Forester very easy to step into compared with a previous BMW estate.

I can see your point with lifting things on and off the roof rack, but maybe my opinion regarding SUV's isn't valid here because the Forester is just a slightly raised estate, so I find lifting ladders on and off the roof quite easy.

OK the handling won't be as good, and aerodynamics and fuel consumption is worse, but it seems that many people are putting up with this in return for that raised driving position. I find it gives better visibility ahead and to the sides, which in return instills a feeling of being more in control.

I've read posts on other forums on the same debate, and most of the people championing the estate over an SUV or MPV are looking foremost for something that can be hustled quickly.

The MPV's have gone out of fashion mainly because of their looks I think, but they're the best for carrying stuff. You have a long and tall van like load area, plus a higher driving position, in return you have the inefficiency of them.

Seems that in the present day of overcrowded roads people are finding the SUV type vehicles a more relaxing experience. It's easy to see why women like them - sitting higher makes them feel less intimidated.

I think you're in a minority here - beats me why you would want to sit low and in a reclined position, but I'm assuming you don't have a back problem!

Edited by corax on 21/04/2018 at 13:25

The increasing popularity of SUVs - Engineer Andy

After owning a Forester for for five years, I would rather have a similar replacement given the choice. I like the higher driving position, the higher boot floor for getting heavy items out (I am puzzled as to why you think the lower floor of an estate is easier to lift heavy items from, surely you have to stoop more).

I have to mention that I've had back problems and find the Forester very easy to step into compared with a previous BMW estate.

OK the handling won't be as good, and aerodynamics and fuel consumption is worse, but it seems that many people are putting up with this in return for that raised driving position. I find it gives better visibility ahead and to the sides, which in return instills a feeling of being more in control.

The MPV's have gone out of fashion mainly because of their looks I think, but they're the best for carrying stuff. You have a long and tall van like load area, plus a higher driving position, in return you have the inefficiency of them.

Seems that in the present day of overcrowded roads people are finding the SUV type vehicles a more relaxing experience. It's easy to see why women like them - sitting higher makes them feel less intimidated.

I think you're in a minority here - beats me why you would want to sit low and in a reclined position, but I'm assuming you don't have a back problem!

Some SUVs - the more 'sporty', types are generally less practical (unlike your Forrester) and often still have silly boot lips to negotiate as well as being higher up to start with, which is why I like those where the bottom of the boot opening is flush with the boot floor.

I test drove a Mazda3 fastback and a CX-3 (both new) last year, and found the 3's driving position more comfortable for, shall we say, more 'spirited' driving on faster/rural roads, whereas the higher CX-3 seemed to be more suited to urban driving and was far easier to get in/out of (better for the commute to work/everyday driving).

I probably would enjoy driving the 3 far more than the CX-3 when going on/and whilst on holiday in the West Country, due to the motorway driving and more twisty country roads. I know I do on my 12yo 3 saloon - driving in town can be sometimes a pain (especially when parking), but on the open road, great. Higher sided cars with better visibility is definitely useful in town.

I too suffer from back problems, and actually found the CX-3 to ride better, even on 18in rims, than the 3 I tested (both on the same size rims if I recall), on a variety of roads and over poorer surfaces. Maybe the CX-3's suspension was beefier. I still would've gone for either on 16in rims with higher profile tyres though, which cushions the ride much more and save lots of £££ through increase mpg and far lower costs in replacement tyres.

I think I was lucky to be able to test two very good handling cars (a Mazda speciality) - I know from speaking to other people at the time that quite a few SUVs in most people's affordablility range when new of £15k - £30k are not as good handling as the equivalent hatches/saloons/estates because their centre of gravity is higher and are often set up more for comfort than dynamic handling ability. Always a trade off, more so now that SUVs are getting quite expensive when compared to cars of the same performance and load capacity.

The 3 and (smaller) CX-3 are a good example, both similar priced for RRP (often the 3 attracts far better deals and can undercut the CX-3 at dealers and through brokers); the CX-5 ain't cheap and again the 6 attracts far better deals.

Personally speaking, if you don't need the easy access and softer ride of the SUVs (or can put up with firmer riding, lower hatchbacks/saloons with odd shaped boots), then they can be great value, often saving 10% over the SUV equivalent after discounts. Horses for course and all that I suppose.

The increasing popularity of SUVs - barney100

Several manufacturers offer metal convertible roofs.

The increasing popularity of SUVs - SLO76
My wife is the same, she demanded a Honda CRV to replace her old Civic a few years back despite my attempts to argue in favour of another Civic or perhaps a used Accord Estate.

Now, after three and a half years seeing the world from its elevated drivers seat I can see the appeal. Yes, it doesn’t handle or ride as well as a normal hatch/saloon or Estate in general. Yes the economy is worse as is the performance. However the up sides are the feeling of space, the added safety of knowing another (normal) car hitting you is going to come off worse. The side impact protection in particular is much better as other lower cars will hit the sill instead of the mid point on the door. Kids and other passengers have a better view out and complain less on longer journeys. It would make a good taxi actually as it’s a genuinely nice thing to be driven in.

Top this up with the lower depreciation thanks to the popularity of SUV’s and you find that despite the higher initial purchase price the cost for the car itself is often actually lower than the lower riding equivalent. The Civic Tourer for example was dearer to lease than our CRV despite being notably cheaper to actually buy because of the higher residuals of the CRV.

I now await the end of term handover to see how smoothly it goes (will they try to charge for every wee chip on the bonnet?) and I’ll be asking for a price to buy it off them to see if it is worth keeping to keep swmbo happy and rampaging toddler safe. My suggestion of an older petrol estate car hasn’t been well received.

Edited by SLO76 on 21/04/2018 at 13:08

Y'see, the most often cited reason for liking them, is the elevated seating position. That's the thing I struggle with, because that's the very thing that puts me off them. I don't want to be up in the air when I'm driving. Clearly though, others do, and fair play to them if that's what they like. I just don't like the feeling, especially on corners. They do seem to hold a particular appeal to women though don't they? Wonder why that is?

I quite like wide, long and low in a car, ( I have an E class estate ) seems to me easier to load and indeed to carry more stuff. Also, I use my roof bars quite a lot and they're just easier to reach on a lower car.

Anyway, I'm not knocking anyone's preferences you know, just trying to understand why they have them.

Oh, and I'm sorry if this has been covered before, feel free to ignore !

;-)
Sorry Corax, for some reason I hadn't seen your post before I wrote my last one. You make some interesting points.

Ironic though isn't it, if some of those observations are true, that these allegedly outdoorsy, lifestyley cars are actually being bought by nervous drivers with bad backs !

;-)
The increasing popularity of SUVs - corax
Sorry Corax, for some reason I hadn't seen your post before I wrote my last one. You make some interesting points. Ironic though isn't it, if some of those observations are true, that these allegedly outdoorsy, lifestyley cars are actually being bought by nervous drivers with bad backs ! ;-)

You're right about cornering. Mine is OK powering through and allowing the four wheel drive to slingshot you round, but it doesn't have that lovely easy flow you get with a well sorted conventional car.

The true outdoorsy people like farmers, landscapers buy pick ups, and that's a whole other topic. You never see anything being carried in them though!

The increasing popularity of SUVs - mss1tw

I'm a tradey and no one makes a basic 4 wheel drive petrol engined van with decent ground clearance, so I got a CRV iVTEC

The increasing popularity of SUVs - Leif
I admit I hate them. The last accident I had, 14 years ago, was when reversing out of a space in a supermarket car park. There was a 4 by 4 each side of me hence I had zero visibility. A car drove behind me, and I failed to hit the brakes in time. As a cyclist I hated them, they are as bad as lorries and vans. And I hate the fact that most are diesels and they stink something rotten, especially when the owner parks up with the engine running, and it fills the air with foul fumes. But that’s true of diesels, not just Chelsea tractors.

A friend bought a new Land Rover Discovery because he liked the high up seating. It certainly seemed nice inside. I think a lot of women like them, as they feel more secure, and less likely to be bullied by other drivers. I find it annoying that they avoid the EU safety rules, with high bumpers, which will damage me if one hits my car.
The increasing popularity of SUVs - Manatee

The best solution to any engineering problem is typically the best compromise.

SUVs (stupid name) are criticised for poorer dynamics and fuel consumption for example but the visibility for both driver and passengers is usually far better, as is elbow room and height. I'm on my fourth since 2002 and find it a capable and easy to use machine.

I also have a (very) small 2 seater convertible whose purpose is solely to entertain. It has much better cornering characteristics and fuel economy but it is in effect uncompromising and really of no practical use at all. It is spectacularly wearing to drive on motorways.

If I could only have one it would be the Outlander because it is just so much use. It will carry 4/5 in comfort, 7 in extremis, tow c. 2 tonnes, it doesn't get stuck on wet grass and it gobbles up the miles on a long journey. The price of all that is that it does not invite press-on driving and it will only do 40mpg when driven as if by a nun. But for me it has more actual "utility" than probably 90% of cars on the road. Even more if all the pointlessly expensive and unreliable ones have been excluded.*

If they didn't make them I would have a large estate. I might anyway if I ever need to buy another car. But it would need to have AWD.

Chacun à son goût.

*I suppose utility comes in many forms, and perceived status is one of them.

Edited by Manatee on 21/04/2018 at 14:42

A reasonable selection of answers to the question posed.

And ultimately the reason people (me included) buy them ....

... is coz they're there to be had if you want one and despite the apparent drawbacks people (like me) want them ... otherwise they wouldn't be as, increasingly, popular as they are.

Nobody forces anyone to get one but the manufacturers see that they sell better than anything else (well, you know what I mean) so keep on making them. Long may it continue, I say.

Edited by KB. on 21/04/2018 at 15:54

Indeed so. But it has to be a cracking example of form over function doesn't it?

Take the basically proven formula of the medium sized family car, make it worse by making it too tall, less fuel efficient, oh, and while you're at it, and ruin the ride and handling, convince people it's fashionable, and charge more for it.

Hey ho, never mind, it's not the best practical joke the fashion industry has ever managed to pull off, but it's up there among the top ones for sure !

Hope you're all enjoying the sun?

;-)

I don’t believe people would buy them if they disliked them after driving them for a year or two, so they do have a purpose. A work colleague’s wife bought a £40,000 Jeep SUV brand new, ugly, but that is what she likes.
The increasing popularity of SUVs - Engineer Andy
Indeed so. But it has to be a cracking example of form over function doesn't it? Take the basically proven formula of the medium sized family car, make it worse by making it too tall, less fuel efficient, oh, and while you're at it, and ruin the ride and handling, convince people it's fashionable, and charge more for it. Hey ho, never mind, it's not the best practical joke the fashion industry has ever managed to pull off, but it's up there among the top ones for sure ! Hope you're all enjoying the sun? ;-)

Its a bit like cars getting bigger and bigger (for the most part) with each generation that makes it to market. Apparently its what the market wants. Then we all complain about why parking spaces and household garages are 'too small' these days, despite most being built 30+ years ago.

The increasing popularity of SUVs - Andrew-T

<< Its a bit like cars getting bigger and bigger (for the most part) with each generation that makes it to market. Apparently its what the market wants. Then we all complain about why parking spaces and household garages are 'too small' these days, despite most being built 30+ years ago. >>

As part of the bigger picture, vehicles have been getting 'bigger' for 20 years or more. Most comments here have been about length and height, but it's the relentlessly expanding width - made necessary by the increased height - that causes most problems. Not only in country lanes, where the banks get eaten away by forced manoeuvres, but also in urban streets without off-road parking, where passage for service and emergency vehicles may become impossible.

Total available road space grows only marginally, while number of vehicles x their average size grows at an alarming rate. Then everyone wonders why driving is so congested ....

Indeed so. But it has to be a cracking example of form over function doesn't it? Take the basically proven formula of the medium sized family car, make it worse by making it too tall, less fuel efficient, oh, and while you're at it, and ruin the ride and handling, convince people it's fashionable, and charge more for it. Hey ho, never mind, it's not the best practical joke the fashion industry has ever managed to pull off, but it's up there among the top ones for sure ! Hope you're all enjoying the sun? ;-)

By looking at this reply it strikes me you asked a question but didn't like the answers and are resorting to mild cynicism with a hint of sarcasm.

And it's currently raining with thunder in the air.

The increasing popularity of SUVs - bazza

Well, Alby, I'm completely with you on this one, as I like a car that handles and isn't too large. I do think there are a few reasonable looking ones out there, I quite like the Mazda CX range and the new Vitara and S Cross are reasonable too.

I think there are a couple of key factors apart from those discussed above that are at play. One is the low price of oil, which offsets the fairly significant fuel inefficiency of these vehicles. This may change if the Middle East kicks off again. The second is that most of them are not really SUVs now. 20 years ago, an SUV was a large, heavy body on frame, agriculturally biased thing, plain awful to drive but fantastic crossing rivers, deserts and well, anything that wasn't a road. These days most are not even 4 wheel drive, those that are often "ape" it through electronic control , they are unitary construction, and fitted with road going summer tyres. They are actually, as you say, slightly elevated hatchbacks, with chunky trim and wheels etc. They have essentially become cars with raised height and a varying amount of off road ability depending on target market. No bad thing overall, as they're now very car like to drive too and of course not as dreadfully thirsty as they were, although there's still a penalty. One day when my back packs in totally, I will probably cave in and buy one!

Indeed so. But it has to be a cracking example of form over function doesn't it? Take the basically proven formula of the medium sized family car, make it worse by making it too tall, less fuel efficient, oh, and while you're at it, and ruin the ride and handling, convince people it's fashionable, and charge more for it.

You asked the question but you've not been listening have you:)

For some of us taller is better,when we want to be comfortable getting from A to B we'd rather have a view and a bit of space than titchy windows, tumblehome sides, claustrophobia-inducing rooflines and looking at lorry wheel nuts on the motorway; the ride and handling are more than good enough, and fuel consumption is only money, which doesn't matter as long as you don't run out of it.

Whether it has been made better or worse than your benchmark family car depends entirely on what the buyers want,

As for fashionable - I'd say that with the glaring exception of the overpriced "premium" marques they are the exact opposite. They certainly attract enough opprobrium!

Ach look, it's fine, yes I remain "mildly cynical" I'll not deny that, but I'm also aware that I'm outvoted and that's also fine. As I said, even my wife likes SUVs so it's only really me and the dog that don't around here.

A bit like leggings, Uggs, laminate flooring, Brexit, Crocs and lager, there are many things I shall never really understand. But it's probably best not to dwell on any of them.

Happy barbecuing, to those without storms...

;-)
Ach look, it's fine, yes I remain "mildly cynical" I'll not deny that, but I'm also aware that I'm outvoted and that's also fine. As I said, even my wife likes SUVs so it's only really me and the dog that don't around here.

Sounds like your dog’s continued existence might be under threat. You’d better taste it’s food to make sure it’s not being poisoned. :) And if it’s any consolation, I am in solidarity with your grumpy stance.

The increasing popularity of SUVs - Avant

This is as so often a matter of horses for courses - and the truism that all human beings are different.

I don't agree that Alby is being grumpy and not liking the replies. If I remember right Alby, you once had a Westfield; and I know that you do 40,000 miles a year, so driving has got to be as much of a pleasure as possible. No doubt being closer to the ground than you would be in an SUV contributes to the satisfaction.

I think, as others have said, that the high-up driving position is what clinches it for so many in favour of sitty-uppy vehicles. Others go for them because they're in fashion - and as we all know, fashion and logic don't always go together.

But you can't alter the laws of physics: a tall vehicle won't handle quite as well as a lower-slung one. I was generally very impressed when I test-drove a BMW 220i Active Tourer, but it was no good expecting it to go round corners as well as my old 125i convertible.

The Nissan Qashqai - much admired by Mrs Alby - and the new Volvo XC40 are more softly sprung than others I've tried, but although I don't like too hard a ride, I found both these altogether too wallowy, making me feel too remote from the action.

For me the best compromises (and most car choices are compromises) of a highish driving position and enthusiastic handling are the Audi Q2 and its sister car the VW T-Roc. The SEAT and Skoda MPVs may be similar but I haven't tried them.

Good to see you back on here more often, Alby. People tend to speak their mind, but very rarely is it personal - and it gets moderated out if it's excessively so!

Edited by Avant on 21/04/2018 at 21:03

Hey thanks Avant, it's good to drop in here now and then, there's some good quality stuff here provided by some clearly very knowledgeable people.

And don't worry, I'm well aware that all Internet forums have the occasional chippy Herbert but they're easily dealt with, mainly by ignoring them. If you don't give them a platform for their need to be the centre of attention, they soon go off and find someone else to try to wind up. No worries on that score.

Anyway, it's Saturday night, "yay", I suppose...

;-)

Edited by Alby Back on 21/04/2018 at 22:30

The increasing popularity of SUVs - Bilboman

IIRC the move to SUVs started in the USA where the ever more stringent "across the range average" fuel consumption regulations - whereby all manufacturers had to offer economy cars to offset the gas guzzlers (Aston Martin Cygnet - oops) - were neatly sidestepped by some devious lobbying and legal shenanigans. The final result was that these "cars" were re-classified as "light trucks" or "vans" and were not included in the headcount of naughty polluting vehicles, so behemoths like the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator could get away with rubbish fuel economy, dreadful handling, large blindspots, etc.
And, as always, Europe meekly followed the fashion....

The increasing popularity of SUVs - Decto

I'm more surprised by the sales of sporty German hatch backs and saloons on 19 and 20 inch wheels with ridiculous suspension, negligible rear seat leg room and excessive performance when most of the time we're constrained by speed limits, cameras and traffic.

Quite happy with my SUV style, 2 wheel drive petrol compared to that uncomfortable rubbish.

Do you sit 4 inches above the carpet in your lounge while watching TV? I thought not, as it's not that comfortable. Much better to sit a little higher with your legs in a more natural sitting position so why sit on the floor in your car unless you’re on a race track and it matters.

An SUV body gives much more leg room in a shorter body length, A more comfortable seating position, If I fold the rear seats down I have the space of a small van. My wife usually gets travel sick unless in the front of the car, however with the raised seating position in the rear she's fine even on a 250 mile journey.

My best economy so far was a few weeks ago when it recorded 60.1 mpg on a 25 mile drive in 30-50 limits and 56.7 on the return, not bad for an April day. Yes, I did say petrol. Even on a cold start in winter it's only a couple of mpg behind my last diesel saloon across a 5 mile congested commute as the engine is warm and the start stop active quickly unless there is frost on the ground.

I've yet to find a road where I need more cornering capability, and I enjoy my better view of the road, less dazzle from oncoming head lights, feeling of space in the cabin etc.

I really don’t see any downsides for a family car.

The increasing popularity of SUVs - Meteiro

Decto, what car have you bought, I'm adding it to my list!

Speaking as someone who has been on both sides of the fence, I'm firmly in favour of SUVs. I have a Korando, with 4 wheel drive I hasten to add (does what I need it to do, appreciate not to everyone's taste), and it's vastly more family friendly than the 320 tourer we had before and far more comfortable!

Now my wife is 'borrowing' it at every opportunity so I'm often in her 308, and nice as it is I just don't get the same buzz driving it.

The increasing popularity of SUVs - FP

Having acquired a Mazda CX-5 petrol just under a year ago I have to say it is my favourite of all the cars I've driven. It handles well, is economical, is easy to load and unload, is comfortable to sit in, getting in and out is effortless. Long journeys are a doddle. In addition, it looks good in its Soul Red paint and has been totally reliable. If this is what SUVs are all about, I'm a convert.

The increasing popularity of SUVs - gordonbennet

Maybe they simply make more sense as a vehicle for an increasing number of people.

Car choices have changed and will change again, ceratin demographs of car user at one time wouldn't have been seen dead in anything other than the most menacing German saloon they could find, i regularly see the similar demograph riding round in cars at one time the preserve of the older buyer, people change and what they want to drive does.

I think lots of people secretly would have liked a Berlingo or other van or multi purpose car, but the image and looks of such vehicles put many off, and image is important to more people than they would admit, now they've made the sector more visually appealing to so many (not to me personally, i still prefer square traditional van or pick up or 4x4 types) all those people can now have cars much more useful for them, can only be a good thing.

I don't buy into the handling argument, unless you make progress through out-cornering and out-accelerating others on dual sections with roundabouts, we now have so many people in the country that we are in almost constant traffic so progress is often reduced to the slowest vehicle in front, overtaking has become less important because you only find another batch of vehicles stuck behind the even slower leader 30 seconds later, this can only get worse.

I too prefer sitting upright on a proper comfy seat with 6" of headroom above my bonce, excellent all round visibility (some fashion statement SUV's don't have this benefit), less sloping pillars with even less blind spots and huge unfashionable door mirrors that you can see everything in, and as MT pointed out you can see more than millions of lorry wheelnut pointers as you sail down the motorway at 55mph which is what all three lanes are increasingly travelling at.

Good SUVs usually have pliable long travel suspension, ok there are exceptions where up to idiotic 21" wheels are fitted but these are usually on the bling multi exhaust offerings, a sector few here would give you a thankyou for.

As for the 4WD argument, i'm a convert, there is nothing more sure footed on greasy pot holed roads than a vehicle with full time 4WD, yes they drink more fuel but if fuel economy was the only consideration we'd all be driving around in Yaris hybrids or similar.

Lastly, one of my colleagues and his wife are only alive because they were in a full size Disco 2, which was hit on the offside front by a souped up jobbie that left the opposite carriageway at a 3 figure speed and literally flew into the front of their car, the old bill told them they would almost certainly both have been killed (as was the errant driver of the airborn car) had they been in any normal car, as it was the crash took the front axle straight out of the Disco and rolled it over...there was no avoiding this crash by the way for the innocent victims no matter how nimble one might think their car is.

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/04/2018 at 10:38

The increasing popularity of SUVs - expat

My wife must be in a minority of one. She is quite short (about 5'2") and says that she would never want us to have an SUV as she would have to climb up into it. Suits me as I don't want one either. Not enough room in the boot of most of them unless you fold down the back seat. I like a big station wagon with a long boot and I don't need or use the height that an SUV would have.

The increasing popularity of SUVs - 72 dudes

I do get the whole SUV thing. Mrs 72 dudes has a Q3 and chose it (a) for the higher driving position so she gets a better view and (b) for the easier entry and egress, and she's only 5ft.

What I don't get is the normal cars which ride higher than usual and have a bit of 'cladding' added to make them look a bit 'county'!

Examples include the Cross Country versions of Volvo's V40/V60/V90, the Octavia Scout (no longer available) and Audi's All Road versions of the A4/A6 Avants.

Yes, I know that some of these combine 4WD but really?

But I guess they wouldn't make them if there was no demand.

The increasing popularity of SUVs - Happy Blue!

I understand what Alby's on about but some are better than others. Making a car higher, might improve visibility but doesn't help anything else. SWMBO has had an Evoque for two years and I find that entry and egress is difficult. Frankly i don't like the car at all, although funnily enough, as a driver, it has pretty good handling and road holding. As a passenger its awful, with a dreadful rear ride. Its also very cramped inside for the external size.

Compare with cars which are in the same market, entry and egress is far easier, the ride is better, visibility is better, but are perhaps less involving to the driver.

I like cars to be a little higher, simply because it helps my back when getting in, but its not an imperitive when choosing a car, and my father's Daihatsu Sirion is simply superb in this regard, despite being low, entry and egress are a doddle. When the children were younger and I was manhandling them into car seats, boosters etc, I wanted a higher car and for many years drove Subaru Foresters and Outback, culminating in a Ford S-Max. All just that bit higher than regular cars but not so high as to offend driving characteristics.

So, horses for courses. I don't find the Qashqai to be overly problematic, but I think every who drives a 2WD SUV should also have a good look at an MPV. They offer far more space, are usually more comfortable, better driving position and are better drivers cars, all for less money. What they don't have is that 'je ne sais quoi' that an SUV has (the Evoque effect), but hopefully the regulars on here know to avoid such nonsense.

Of all the cars I have driven over 35 years, the one car I would own again above all others is the Ford S-Max. It secret was to do what it was designed to do very very well, and in doing so, it did everything else a car can do, also very well. And guess what, it isn't an SUV, it's an MPV.

The increasing popularity of SUVs - badbusdriver

I've been reading through this thread with some interest and some amusement in equal measure.

Firstly, for the record, i don't like the SUV as a breed, they really are not the best solution for most applications unless image is your thing. That said, i have absolutely no problem with those who drive them and like them in general. Well, apart from huge examples (step forward Audi Q7) clogging up city centres and particularly roads near schools twice a day being (usually dropping off or picking up one or two tiny children) driven by people who have no spatial awareness!. Apart from them, as has been said, each to their own, etc, etc.

Much has been made of buying an SUV because of better visibility due to the extra height and while this is true over a normal hatchback, it isn't the case when compared to an MPV. Most popular SUV's are not actually that tall, taller than a normal hatchback maybe, but no taller, and in some cases actually lower, than an MPV. A type of car which is likely to also have slimmer pillars (SUV's tend to have 'chunky' pillars to emphasise their toughness), and so have better visibility than an SUV.

Supposed space and versatality issues advantages of an SUV is also, at best, only partly true. Someone mentioned earlier about SUV's having a taller body and therefore more legroom within a given length. Well maybe a little, but only over a normal hatchback. The issue being that while SUV's do have a taller roof, they also have a taller floor, for their extra ground clearance. Now there may not be huge ground clearance on something like the Audi Q3, but the floor is definately a good chunk higher than an A3. So the Q3 is 18cm taller than the A3, but if you subtract the difference in the height of the floor from the ground, i'd wager the actual difference in body heights to be more like half that. Admittedly that is still a benefit for the SUV (though maybe not as big as you might think), but go back to the MPV's and again the tables are turned against the SUV. The floor on the Toyota Verso is going to be around the same height as the A3, but the roof is taller than the Q3, so much more interior space (if you look at the Q3's little brother the Q2, it is only 8mm taller than a Hyundai i10!).

It was also mentioned about someones wife getting car sick in the rear of a 'normal' car, but not in the SUV. With all respect, I really doubt that this has anything to do with whether or not it is an SUV. This is much more likely to do with the size and depth (in relation to seat height) of the windows (as well as spending too much time staring at your smartphone or tablet!). And while you do get SUV's with quite a large glass area, most of them these days don't. The most extreme examples being the evoque (particularly the 3 door), BMW X4 and X6, Merc GLC and GLE, but most modern SUV's have fairly shallow windows in relation to their height (apparently this makes the driver feel safer and more secure? ((who cares that the kids can't see out!)). But this is not going to be good for anyone, child or adult, sitting in the back, who suffers from travel sickness. Pretty much all MPV's are going to have much deeper side windows than a SUV so less likely to cause travel sickness.

Looking at another point though, someone mentioned not liking the feeling of being high up whilst cornering. This is something which does not bother me in the slightest, i've had plenty of entertaining drives on twisty roads in all sorts of tall and unlikely vehicles up to, and including buses!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 22/04/2018 at 21:33

Another one who has started with the answer and worked backwards, via the Evoque which is not an SUV but a handbag on wheels:)

Likewise you have chosen the BMW X4 (I can't really recall what they are like) and X6 (another expensive poncy ornament) rather than the X3 or X5. I assume you also refer to the 'coupe' versions of the Mercedes GLC and GLE that surely no-one would choose for practicality.

The "theatre" seating which is a feature of many more practical everyday SUVs (including the Outlander and the CRV of which I have have had two of each) makes a huge difference to the rear seat passenger experience.

I'm sure I could get used to,say, my daughter's A6 Avant but riding in the back affords very little forward visibility and is to just unpleasant by comparison - and that's a big car. (Incidentally, the front passenger seat in her car is almost unbearable for more than a few minutes as the backrest is so vertical, owing to the rear-facing child seat behind it - the Outlander accomodates it without this effect).

I take your point about MPVs; the aforementioned daughter is contemplating something like a Galaxy or possibly S-Max.

As it says clearly in my post, the SUV's mentioned such as the Evoque, X4 and X6 were extreme examples of SUV's with poor visibility, but I went on to say most SUV's have shallow side windows in relation to their height.

As for whether or not an Evoque is an SUV, yes, it clearly is, regardless of what you think or whether or not you like them.

And furthermore, I didn't 'choose' the X4 or X6, they were mentioned only in passing, the SUV I refered to most was the Audi Q3, which does not have a 'coupe' style roofline.

And furthermore, I didn't 'choose' the X4 or X6, they were mentioned only in passing, the SUV I refered to most was the Audi Q3, which does not have a 'coupe' style roofline.

I was a bit confused by your reference to the Audi Q3. You acknowledge that it has more space than the A3 but then you compare it unfavourably with a Toyota Verso as if that nullifies the point of the Q3. If the buyer wants AWD and slightly more ground clearance then he isn't going to substitute a Verso, is he? So what is your point?

There's really no value in picking away like that, people make different compromises, have different needs and motivators, and of course different amounts of money.

It would certainly be hard to 'justify', were it necessary, the concept of the SUV( if it can be defined) with reference to cars such as the Q7 and Range Rover. They are luxury goods.

Similarly it is irrelevant to drag in the destruction of green lanes for fun by vandals as Leif has done - does more than one in 10,000 SUV buyers follow this "hobby"?

The Evoque is to my eyes an abomination, the triumph of style/ugliness over practically. But as an SUV hater, I can see the point of something like the VW T-ROC, you get a Golf like interior and exterior size but a more sitty uppy stance, and a Golf like price.

But don’t ask me to like a Range Rovers and other trucks driven by people who do not need off road handling, or who go off road for fun and destroy green lanes.
The increasing popularity of SUVs - grumpyscot

I got into HOnda CRVs about 12 years ago. Mother-in-law had walking difficulties and found it hard to get in and out of our other car - an Avensis. So we got a Mk 1 CRV petrol auto - and liked it so much we later on bought a Mk 3, holding on tothe old Mk 1 as a run around. Later sold the Mk 1 which is still going at 182,000 miles! Bought a Mk 4 facelift (petrol auto) and love it.

Advantages - we live in the country, on a step hill that is last priority to clear // salt. The 4 wheel drive has never let us down - and on one occasion helped tow a slipping BMW X5 up the hill! I also like the smoothness of the ride. Fuel consumption is not an issue - I only do 8,000 miles a year, and don't drivie it hard anyway.

Negatives? The interior quality of the Mk 4 is not a patch on the Mk 1. the door sill coverings are badly scratched (i've done 20,000 now) whereas the Mk 1 still looks like new.

But on reliability, Honda means never getting to know your mechanics name ' cos you only take the car for servicing and MOT and rarely (very rarely) for repairs!. If only Range / Land Rovers were as reliable, I'd be inclicned to change marque, nut the only competitor seems to be VW Tiguan or Skoda Karoc / Kodiak