VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - Leif
Coming home this evening, I was rounding a corner at 30mph when the emergency braking kicked in for a second. It scared me witless. I should have a dashcam video. I will report this to the manufacturer. However, I’ve had a stream of faults from my car, a new VW Polo, and a loaner while mine was being repaired. I am wondering if the ECU is fit for purpose, and safe for on road use.
VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - Bolt
Coming home this evening, I was rounding a corner at 30mph when the emergency braking kicked in for a second. It scared me witless. I should have a dashcam video. I will report this to the manufacturer. However, I’ve had a stream of faults from my car, a new VW Polo, and a loaner while mine was being repaired. I am wondering if the ECU is fit for purpose, and safe for on road use.

May be the anti collision system kicking in to prevent possible loss of control, aren`t all VWs fitted with this now?. I think all motors will have it shortly

May be the anti collision system kicking in to prevent possible loss of control, aren`t all VWs fitted with this now?. I think all motors will have it shortly

Sure, but why should it kick in when rounding a corner with no vehicle in front?

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - badbusdriver

The only thing i can think of, assuming there were no other cars near you, is that your polo thought you were going to fast for the corner.

On the other hand, if there were other cars in the vacinity, especially other cars coming towards you and especially if it it was a left turn, the emergency braking system could have kicked in thinking you were about to have an accident. This would be more likely if it were a narrow road.

The auto brake system on our jazz can sometimes over react too.

The only thing i can think of, assuming there were no other cars near you, is that your polo thought you were going to fast for the corner.

On the other hand, if there were other cars in the vacinity, especially other cars coming towards you and especially if it it was a left turn, the emergency braking system could have kicked in thinking you were about to have an accident. This would be more likely if it were a narrow road.

Yes, so does the Civic, it can operate as mentioned if you go too fast on a corner as the vehicle stability control takes over to prevent a skid, which it will know better than the driver if its at its limit or just under

From the website

www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/braking-and-stabil...s

Our Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) offers a comfortable ride, however bumpy the surface as well as letting you choose the style of drive you want. The advanced Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) detects critical situations and acts fast to stop skidding before it begins, while the anti-lock braking system (ABS) stops wheels locking. Our new XDS technology lets you grip the road when cornering fast, improving responses for an even safer drive.

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - badbusdriver

Yes, so does the Civic, it can operate as mentioned if you go too fast on a corner as the vehicle stability control takes over to prevent a skid, which it will know better than the driver if its at its limit or just under

To be honest, i haven't had any problems with the jazz on corners, it is more with thinkgs like slowing down for a junction when the car panic's, thinking i am going to run into the car in front. And, more irritatingly when overtaking, the car seems to believe i am going to hit the vehicle i am overtaking if i don't pull out quick enough after starting to accelerate. But overall, it doesn't cause me too much grief!.

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - RobJP

I had a loan BMW X1 the other week when the 3 series was in for a service.

On an open A road, quiet traffic (thankfully) on a gentle left hand bend, doing about 50mph, the car jammed the brakes on hard.

After recovering from the 'WTF ...' type shock, and going half a mile up the road to a lay-by, I worked out how to disable the system on the controls

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - galileo

I had a loan BMW X1 the other week when the 3 series was in for a service.

On an open A road, quiet traffic (thankfully) on a gentle left hand bend, doing about 50mph, the car jammed the brakes on hard.

After recovering from the 'WTF ...' type shock, and going half a mile up the road to a lay-by, I worked out how to disable the system on the controls

I'm glad my 9 year old i30 doesn't have such a system, after 50+ years of suffering computer failures and glitches at work I don't have 100% confidence in them. IT professionals have told me it is impossible to write completely error-free programmes, look how many updates Windows send out.

Edited by galileo on 20/04/2018 at 23:44

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - daveyjp
Over the last couple,of weeks of Yaris ownership I have learnt it only warns you when to brake, it doesn't actually apply the brakes and thank heavens for that.

On sweeping hilly country roads, where you are well within the capabilities of the car, below the limit and preparimg for a corner, the camera must look ahead, see a hedge or similar as you approach the bend and flashes 'BRAKE' on the dash.

If it actually applied the brakes I would be alarmed. The Anti collision systems is therefore disabled.

IT professionals have told me it is impossible to write completely error-free programmes, look how many updates Windows send out.

its also impossible to write for all scenarios, as for windows they should have released their self healing windows program instead of win10 which IMO is worse than W7 which will only be improved over time rather than replaced!

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - DavidGlos
I've got a 2016 Golf with the same system. A plastic bag blew across in front of the car on an open road and it jammed the anchors on. Very disconcerting at the time!

Edited by DavidGlos on 21/04/2018 at 07:45

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - Engineer Andy
I've got a 2016 Golf with the same system. A plastic bag blew across in front of the car on an open road and it jammed the anchors on. Very disconcerting at the time!

I was going to mention that the Golf has suffered similar issues with road debris doing this - I think its in the Good and Bad section of the mk7 review, though I think it was debris getting stuck over the sensor which then gave a false reading, rather than just blwing across the front of the car.

Whilst Leif's problems with his new Polo (including the near identical courtesy cars) may be just an isolated incident, it doesn't inspire confidence in them (as the previous model suffered from numerous problems, if I recall) either. I know brand new cars often do have more 'kinks' to iron out reliability wise than those built near the end of the run, but most used to be relatively minor things fixable at the next service.

A symptom of modern designs, methinks - more gadgets, less testing of systems before release. Its why I tend to buy cars only after they've been 'out' for a couple of years, varying by make and model on previous experience.

Thanks all. I don’t think I was going excessively fast, on the contrary, just making rapid but safe progress. I believe the tyres were a long way from losing grip, maybe at 50mph, not 30mph. As an aside, I have the VW Connect app which records car data, and it rated my driving on that journey at 98% with perfect braking, accelerating etc. It described the driving style as gentle. So I’m not a speed merchant. Either it saw an oncoming car as an obstacle, or a piece of debris blowing in the wind perhaps. I can disable it, not sure I want to, the indecisive person on a roundabout might get me. I’ve avoided several crash for cash incidents thus far when someone stops for no reason at all.
VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - sandy56

There seems to be a few stories about automated emergency braking on some cars.

Personally I am against the whole idea, and will avoid having it in any of my cars for as long as possible, and then disable it when I have no option.

Some technology is not necessary, if you cannot be bothered to stay alert and awake and in control of the car then why are you driving?

Get a bus or a taxi and stay off the road.

if you cannot be bothered to stay alert and awake and in control of the car then why are you driving?

as it apens it isnt always possible to buy the car you want without this tech and am getting fed up with comments regarding the fact you having this tech makes you incompetent to drive

there will come a time when all cars will have it and older cars will be forced off the road, what will poeple do then go back to horse and cart/ride a bike.

maybe its there to prevent other idiot drivers from hitting you, of which there are more now than ever

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - Manatee

Having seen the above comments I don't think I could tolerate it.

It's also not the case that ESP knows the unexplored grip situation better than the driver or can anticipate a skid. It works when the skid has already started and can react faster than a driver. Whether the driver wants or needs that is a another question.

ESP is pretty reliable and unnoticeable in almost all everyday situations. Autonomous braking is another matter, and heavy braking mid-corner for a non-existent or irrelevant obstacle is positively dangerous.

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - RobJP

I tend to agree about autonomous systems. I don't like them, I certainly don't trust the BMW one after my rather interesting experience with it as described above. If another 'normal' car had been following moderately closely, then there would have most likely been an accident, 2 cars off the road for major repairs, a distinct possibility of injury needing ambulance attendance, hospital time, a road closure causing delays for hundreds (if not thousands) of people, police (as they do these days) routinely investigating the accident, costing further sums of money ... and all because a system over-reacted to ... well, I've racked my brain as to what could have caused it, and still have no idea what, really.

Maybe a sparrow flew out from the hedgerow into the path of the sensor.

I suppose a lot of us on here are, for want of a better word 'drivers'. We don't just commute, we drive, and we enjoy driving. As such, we try to be as good at it as we can. Whereas a lot of people, it's just a way of getting from A to B, and they don't actually get any pleasure from it, so they don't really put all of their attention into it.

Who knows what the solution is. I suspect that eventually all vehicles will be so equipped. At which point I think I'll just get a classic car of some sort, where the systems can't be retro-fitted on ...

An unexplained/unnecessary slammimg on of the brakes on black ice or snow is the last thing you want.

Nor do you want this when being tailgated or even just followed a bit too close by a 44 tonner or bus (which can't stop as quickly as a car, and even if it does miss you will accuse you of brake-checking).

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - gordonbennet

I was issued with a new lorry in February, and its fitted lane departure warning and AEBS, plus a cruise control which reads the topography of the road to enable free wheeling (coasting, but called ecoroll) of the auto box, sounds great eh? nope its a pita and i'm sorely tempted to disable the satellite receiver via the fuse.

Anyway, the lane departure gimmck get on ones wick rattling itself stupid for no reason whatoever, but is relatively harmless, unlike some cars which now interfere with the steering if lane departure decides evasive action is needed, i don't need to tell you what they can do with that system.

The AEBS gives collision warnings on average 3 times a week, but its only actuated the once during the second or third week out, and that was at M40 Cherwell Valley services junction, where vehicles wait to turn right at the lights across the southbound A43 and i was in the left lane going past the queue heading north up the A43, the queue forms as the road bends left, presumably computer assumed i wasn't going to turn left but instead drive into the queue so it slammed the brakes on...luckily the road was dry or the sudden braking could have caused an accident itself...irony being i would no doubt have been hald to blame (machines can't be wrong) had the vehicle skidded, and if i turned the idiotic pointless rubbish off i'd have been up on a gross misconduct charge with likely dismissal.

Needless to say, no car i own will have any of this rubbish.

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - SteveLee

It's only a matter of time (if it hasn;t happened already) where these stupid nanny-state braking systems kills a following biker. All it'll take is a plastic bag being blown across the road and a car stops mid corner - a following bike will have no chance.

It's only a matter of time (if it hasn;t happened already) where these stupid nanny-state braking systems kills a following biker. All it'll take is a plastic bag being blown across the road and a car stops mid corner - a following bike will have no chance.

Never had a plastic bag set it off, only motors that get too close or a pedestrian/s that sets the warning without operating the brakes as they walk past the car NOT into it

system only operates if the whatever sets it off is being sensed getting closer to the motor, which on a bend it could appear to it that the motor or possibly sign post is getting closer

some bikers get far too close to motors anyway so them knowing the system could activate if they get too close may keep them further away from the front.

as far as the rear is concerned, the Civic only warns if something is too close IF you are at a standstill as a warning not to reverse into the obstruction, or if something is too close while driving and never operates the brakes.

which if all motors are using the same system, its not likely anything following the motor would be caused to hit your motor due to sudden braking by you, I have had several bikers tailgate closely without my brakes being applied so I know that doesnt happen

VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - bazza

This all sounds rather worrying, imperfect safety technology in realtime use on the latest cars , and experienced drivers being caught out. How long before this is the cause of some major accident I wonder? Do vosa have an interest in this and how are these systems validated and type approved?

This all sounds rather worrying, imperfect safety technology in realtime use on the latest cars , and experienced drivers being caught out. How long before this is the cause of some major accident I wonder? Do vosa have an interest in this and how are these systems validated and type approved?

Remenber that these systems result from bureaucrats/politicians (who probably only ever usee roads being chauffeured in bulletproof limos) sitting in meetings trying to think of ways to reduce accidents and making themeselves popular.

Their sometimes crackpot ideas are passsed to geeks at the car makers who are keen to show how clever they are.

The manufacturers know that: a) many punters will be impressed by the sales spiel about the latest "safety feature" and b) the original bureaucrats/politicians will legislate to make them compulsory anyway.

The views of experienced drivers will not break this chain as long as it means more money or kudos for those involved. (this, IMHO, also applies to "autonomous vehicles")

Remenber that these systems result from bureaucrats/politicians (who probably only ever usee roads being chauffeured in bulletproof limos) sitting in meetings trying to think of ways to reduce accidents and making themeselves popular.

Their sometimes crackpot ideas are passsed to geeks at the car makers who are keen to show how clever they are.

The manufacturers know that: a) many punters will be impressed by the sales spiel about the latest "safety feature" and b) the original bureaucrats/politicians will legislate to make them compulsory anyway.

The views of experienced drivers will not break this chain as long as it means more money or kudos for those involved. (this, IMHO, also applies to "autonomous vehicles")

I think as was said before, in order to reduce or stop the tech being applied to motors the buyers have to stop buying them, I am also not so sure everyone actually realises what the tech is,how it works and do they have a choice in switching it off.

It seems a company has developed a new Ai processor that can deal with more information in a shorter time than the last one was able to, so you can expect this tech to get more widespread and do more, though its up to the buyers as to whether they buy the motor or not (unless they use it for autonomous cars only)

I do agree with most comments in that I think this tech is going too fast for people to keep up with, so when its pointed out its on a car, they are not really taking it in.....

My belief is tha these systems are designed by the companies and not bureaucrats, as safety is surely a big selling point. Witness the popularity of big SUV tanks which are perceived as safer.

As regards my own car, the assisted braking icon lit up again today, for quite a few seconds but no braking, fortunately as I could see no reason for the alert. I have a feeling it cannot cope with corners, and that it sees oncoming traffic as an impending collision. I suppose the sensor could be misaligned. Thus far it’s only gone off on a left hand bend, always the same one.

There is something to be said for a car with minimal toys and trinkets inside.
VW Polo - Emergency braking engaged for no reason - gordonbennet

You haven't had a new windscreen perchance have you Leif, my lorry needed one (my colleague who received a new sister vehicle at the same time is on his third screen already, the last one simply cracked top to bottom for no reason at all), once fitted and the glue set the vehicle radar and sensors have to be recalibrated at the dealer's workshops.

If the sensor is in the grill it hasn't had a knock in a car park or similar? it sounds as if its a little overzealous.

No, the car is a month old, maybe it’s misaligned from the factory, or just a somewhat duff system. Mind you you’d think VW would have lots of experience of these things by now.

It’s a shame these cannot be user calibrated. Camera makers now allow lenses to be calibrated automatically, it makes their life easier.
My belief is tha these systems are designed by the companies and not bureaucrats, as safety is surely a big selling point. Witness the popularity of big SUV tanks which are perceived as safer. As regards my own car, the assisted braking icon lit up again today, for quite a few seconds but no braking, fortunately as I could see no reason for the alert. I have a feeling it cannot cope with corners, and that it sees oncoming traffic as an impending collision. I suppose the sensor could be misaligned. Thus far it’s only gone off on a left hand bend, always the same one. There is something to be said for a car with minimal toys and trinkets inside.

is that collision mitigation braking or assisted braking, there is a difference in how it works, the first is automatic the second is down to you...

My cms light on the Civic comes on occasionaly but will not operate the brakes, but depends how close the obstacle is,ie if a car/pedestrian/wall is sensed but gets no closer the light comes on for several seconds then goes off,I have got used to it now..but its limit is 19mph, above that speed it never comes on

assisted braking works at any speed