Ford Focus - Faulty Second Hand Car - Consumer rights? - FocusMore

Hi all,

I have a Ford focus 3 years old with 9000 on the clock. I purchased it second hand from a non Ford dealer and after only 5 months ownership the engine has failed (1 piston has broken into pieces).

I have been looking into the consumers right act, from my understanding the dealer that I purchased it from should be taking the vehicle back and repairing it as its within 6 months from purchase, unless they can prove the fault wasn't there at the time of sale.

From what I can make out the consumers right act takes into account the age of the vehicle, and what a reasonable person would expect. Am I expecting too much from the dealer to take the car back and repair the engine? its only 3 years old and only has 9000 miles on the clock and has a full service history.

Thanks,

Ford Focus - Faulty Second Hand Car - Consumer rights? - RobJP

Yes, it would be entirely reasonable to expect a major part to not suffer such a failure.

Contact the garage that sold you the car. Make sure you mention the CRA in detail, and don't allow yourself to be fobbed off by them telling you to go to a warranty company, ford, etc.