Van - Driving work vehicle I wasn't insured had accident - Bee morey

I was driving my work vehicle last June and hit a moped who was in wrong lane and it was my right of way to go. Police came etc and turns out I wasn't insured on that vehicle.

I was under full belief and was told I was insured. I went to court for driving with no insurance and case was dismissed as employer fully admitted it was their mistake and they had told me I was insured.

Now I am receiving letters from my employees insurance company stating that the moped driver is making a personal injury claim for the accident. My employees insurance company are saying they are getting their solicitors onto me for driving their vehicle uninsured and the accident etc. My boss is telling me to ignore it. :/ I am very stressed and don't know if ignoring it is the correct thing to do. Is my boss trying to save themselves? I do not know what to do or where I stand with it all. I genuinely thought I was insured or would never of drove. Also we are both self employed. Also the moped driver was actually at fault as he was in the wrong lane and I was already positioned in middle of road ready to turn and was last car to turn. I have photos etc

Any advice on what to do or where I stand is welcomed. I thought it was all over once court case was dismissed now this personal injury claim I'm at my wits end.

Van - Driving work vehicle I wasn't insured had accident - Avant

Not sure from the above whether you're employed or self-employed: it could make a difference. For the moment, your 'boss' or someone senior in the company, should take responsibility and tell their insurance company to deal with them rather than you.

Edited by Avant on 12/04/2018 at 00:54

Van - Driving work vehicle I wasn't insured had accident - Gibbo_Wirral

Don't ignore it. Just send a recorded delivery letter to whoever is making the claim against you, informing them of the correct people further up the chain to contact (your boss, the insurance company), and that any further letters to you will result in delays to the matter.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 10/04/2018 at 13:46

Van - Driving work vehicle I wasn't insured had accident - Middleman

Now I am receiving letters from my employees insurance company stating that the moped driver is making a personal injury claim for the accident. My employees insurance company are saying they are getting their solicitors onto me for driving their vehicle uninsured and the accident etc.

I would simply reply to them - just the once - explaining what you have told us and that you were acquitted of driving without insurance (using the statutory defence available under Section 143 (3) of the Road Traffic Act, 1988). Copy the letter to your boss and leave them to deal with it between them.

It is quite true that uninsured drivers can be persued through the civil courts for damages. However, in the circumstances you describe I cannot see any civil court ruling that you are liable (regardless of who was to blame for the collision). If your boss's insurers should be persuing anybody it should be him as the failure to ensure you were covered was his.

Edited by Middleman on 10/04/2018 at 13:50

Van - Driving work vehicle I wasn't insured had accident - Bromptonaut

I was driving my work vehicle last June and hit a moped who was in wrong lane and it was my right of way to go. Police came etc and turns out I wasn't insured on that vehicle.

Ignoring is rarely a good idea; stuff doesn't usually go away.

As Avant says it would be helpful if you could confirm your employment status (I think you said self employed) and basis on which your work vehicle was supplied. Also, am I reading correctly that moped rider works for same outfit as yourself?

Van - Driving work vehicle I wasn't insured had accident - lordwoody

Try asking the same question here... www.thelawforum.co.uk/forums/ask-question-here

There are qualified solicitors and a barrister answering questions there, as opposed to members of the public here.

Edited by lordwoody on 11/04/2018 at 08:07