Nissan Prairie - Whose car is it? won small claims stuck with car - Rookie33

I recently won a small claims case with a car dealer who sold me a car with a dodgy engine. I have had all my money back thanks to the bailif's steady work. I have given the car dealer 14 days to come and collect the car and have had no word from him. Can I now sell it for spares and repairs? How long is it reasonable to wait? I am not sure where I stand legally. Any advice much appreciated.

Edited by Avant on 14/03/2018 at 10:23

Nissan Prairie - Who'se car is it? won small claims stuck with car - Falkirk Bairn

Send the dealer a recorded delivery letter telling him to pick up the car within 7 days or you will charge him £20 per day for storage of his car in your driveway. kep a copy of the letter & the post office rec del receipt.

Nissan Prairie - Who'se car is it? won small claims stuck with car - Bromptonaut

I recently won a small claims case with a car dealer who sold me a car with a dodgy engine. I have had all my money back thanks to the bailif's steady work.

What exactly does the judgement from the court say?

Did it include a provision for the vehicle to be returned or were you just awarded compensation?

Nissan Prairie - Who'se car is it? won small claims stuck with car - skidpan

I would expect a Nissan Prarie to be almost worthless with a dead engine. Probably not worth the sellers time collecting it, would possbly cost more than it is worth.

It must be pretty ancient, don't think they sold them over here after the mid 90's.

Nissan Prairie - Who'se car is it? won small claims stuck with car - oldroverboy.

I would expect a Nissan Prarie to be almost worthless with a dead engine. Probably not worth the sellers time collecting it, would possbly cost more than it is worth.

It must be pretty ancient, don't think they sold them over here after the mid 90's.

None for sale on ebay or autotrader...

Nissan Prairie - Who'se car is it? won small claims stuck with car - Rookie33

I was just awarded compensation. I sent him a registered letter giving him 14 days to collect and have had no word at all.

Nissan Prairie - Who'se car is it? won small claims stuck with car - concrete

I was just awarded compensation. I sent him a registered letter giving him 14 days to collect and have had no word at all.

A compensation award could simply mean a payment to cover your loss of use of the vehicle and any repairs you carried out. You may still own it. Presumably you have the V5 and the vehicle is taxed or you could fall foul of the DVLA. The dealer may be able to tell you if he has passed title to the vehicle to you or the judgement documents may mention ownership. Either way you need to act quickly because of the DVLA factor. If it is taxed you're safe until it runs out, maybe the DVLA can tell you more. All that aside, I believe if the vehicle is the dealers and he fails to respond to your recorded letters to collect you can invoice him for storage, but I wouldn't bank on getting any money from him. After 6 months the vehicle is yours and may be only be sold for scrap if you have the V5. Quite a muddle.

Cheers Concrete

Nissan Prairie - Who'se car is it? won small claims stuck with car - Bromptonaut

Unless the court's order transferred it back to dealer its still yours. If you had to use the bailiffs to get your compensation it's unlikely dealer will co-operate with getting rid.

Either find a scrappie to take it away or put it on ebay for spares/repair - buyer to collect.