Volkswagen Polo IV - 2011 - Rear brakes - binding - csgmart

I have a VW Polo with a 'normal' mechanical handbrake. Sometimes when I release the handbrake (after the car has been left overnight) the rear brakes feel like the are stuck on and they release with a small 'bang' when I drive the car forward or reverse.

This seems to happen more in damp weather.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to remove the drums to see what is going on but if it is connected to rain or moisture how is this getting into the drum? Or is it unlikely to be connected to the weather and the cause is something else?

Car was MOT'd and serviced in later December with no issues flagged up.

Volkswagen Polo IV - 2011 - Rear brakes - binding - hardway

Usually find this is a result of somene overtightening the hand brake free play.

But I'd have the drums off to check the shoes.

Volkswagen Polo IV - 2011 - Rear brakes - binding - SLO76
Common problem on Polos with rear drums I’m afraid. Our 1.2 TDi Match has suffered it several times, first instance required new rear brake cylinders which were leaking then rear brakes need cleaned at least once a year which is sadly not part of a service although it really should be. Our rather excellent VW dealer has stripped and cleaned them twice now for free which I regard as outstanding service. But it also indicates a known problem with them. Shame about the minor issues like this (boot lock has failed several times too) as I otherwise really like the wee car.

Thanks. Yes, it's the only fault on an otherwise great little car.

Doesn't look like the weather is condusive to stripping down brakes this weekend. Will have to wait until things warm up a bit....

Volkswagen Polo IV - 2011 - Rear brakes - binding - blindspot

had the same problem and after much playing about was resolved by changing the drums which i feel where scratched and prone to slight internal rusting

Volkswagen Polo IV - 2011 - Rear brakes - binding - piggy

Why not leave the car in 1st. or reverse overnight? I never engage the handbrake if my car is to be left parked for more than a few hours. Mind you, our cars are parked on level ground. Every car I have ever owned has exibited this tendency (some more than others). It`s not a cure, but eliminates this problem. It might also put less strain on the cables.

Why not leave the car in 1st. or reverse overnight? I never engage the handbrake if my car is to be left parked for more than a few hours. Mind you, our cars are parked on level ground. Every car I have ever owned has exibited this tendency (some more than others). It`s not a cure, but eliminates this problem. It might also put less strain on the cables.

Yep - not a bad idea. My uncle (who had a string of the original Minis) used to do this as they were always ceasing up the rear brakes.

Volkswagen Polo IV - 2011 - Rear brakes - binding - edlithgow

Yep - not a bad idea. My uncle (who had a string of the original Minis) used to do this as they were always ceasing up the rear brakes.

I usually leave a car in first, but I found it made me a bit unpopular when I did NHS IT support and used a "pool" car, shared with colleages, which was usually parked facing a wall.

Volkswagen Polo IV - 2011 - Rear brakes - binding - bathtub tom
Why not leave the car in 1st. or reverse overnight?

I used to do that with an old Ambassador that was parked on a sloping drive and had a similar 'sticky' brakes problem.

SWMBO would never put it in neutral before trying to start it, resulting in a starter motor failure.