Any - Tyre Valve Failure - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

A tyre valve, only 5 years old, perished on a family car, and deflated the tyre. Luckily when parked up in the cold weather. Deep cracks in the rubber where it meets the rim. Never seen that before. Im wondering if another tyre failure last year, on the same axle of the car, had a similar cause, there was not enough of that tyre left to see if it was a normal puncture.

Comments please!

Any - Tyre Valve Failure - galileo

I change tyres more often than 5 yearly, so my tyre valves are always newer than 5 years old.

Any - Tyre Valve Failure - Galaxy

You are assuming that the tyre valve was only 5 years old because that was the age of the tyre.

However, you don't really know how old it was, could have been in stock somewhere for years and years!

Any - Tyre Valve Failure - skidpan

You are assuming that the tyre valve was only 5 years old because that was the age of the tyre.

That only applies if the valve was fitted when the tyre was changed. No doubt some cheapskates refuse to pay a couple of quid for a new valve, at the end of the day whats the worst thing that can happen. Could that be possible death for the driver and family.

Any - Tyre Valve Failure - galileo

That only applies if the valve was fitted when the tyre was changed. No doubt some cheapskates refuse to pay a couple of quid for a new valve, at the end of the day whats the worst thing that can happen. Could that be possible death for the driver and family.

Common practice in my experience is for tyre fitters to cut the old valve out so new ones have been necessary whenever I've had tubeless tyres fitted. Not been charged for valves as such, suppose the fitting/balancing cost includes them.

Any - Tyre Valve Failure - skidpan

Common practice in my experience is for tyre fitters to cut the old valve out so new ones have been necessary whenever I've had tubeless tyres fitted. Not been charged for valves as such, suppose the fitting/balancing cost includes them.

Its common practice round these parts for back street tyre shops to quote a price for a new fitted tyre and make it clear that valve and balancing (sometimes disposal of the old tyre) are extra. Its their way of looking even more competitive than they already are compared to Quick f***

Any - Tyre Valve Failure - bathtub tom

My local council tip allows two tyres to be dumped on each visit. If a place tries to charge me for disposal I tell them I'll take them with me - one or two places have got upset, I presume they think I'm going to fly-tip them.

Any - Tyre Valve Failure - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Thanks for your comments. So no one else seems to have had such a failure. Good news.

The chain I use always fits new valves as part of the fitting and balancing process.

I'm not tight enough to dispose of my own tyres.Even though I'm Scottish.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 05/03/2018 at 14:29

Any - Tyre Valve Failure - Galaxy

A friend of mine lives in the country.

You can give as many old tyres as you like to the local farmer for free! He uses them to keep the tarpaulins down which cover his winter store of animal feed.

Any - Tyre Valve Failure - edlithgow

A friend of mine lives in the country.

You can give as many old tyres as you like to the local farmer for free! He uses them to keep the tarpaulins down which cover his winter store of animal feed.

Round here they get used to ballast traffic cones. (Taiwanese farmers don't use silage clamps AFAIK.) The majority are almost certainly newer and probably in better condition (though with a bit less tread) than mine.

Hmmm...I'll have to look into this. If I can find suitable sizes, could be free tyres for life. Most tyres are probably wider than mine though.