Any - Horns - argybargy

Amazing how different road horns are from one car to another.

Both my previous cars have been Fords, and both had good, loud, non-embarrassing horns. Not often used, but on those few occasions I did so, never the sort of thing to make you crouch down in your seat, red faced.

But this Jazz, well. I know its reliable pensioner transport, but did they have to make the horn so weak and wimpy? Coming out of a petrol station yesterday on the brow of a hill a car was approaching from the right. Its hard to judge speed at that location because vehicles come into view quite late around a blind corner, but I reckoned I had plenty of time to turn right across his path before he got to me. He was going faster than I thought and although there was never any chance of a collision he blew his horn, nice and loud, not embarrassing. I blew back, partly in reluctant apology but also to show him that I had one. A horn, that is. Well, the noise my car made can only be described as "neeeeee". I can't even justify using caps to describe the sound because the device simply doesn't warrant it. A child's toy, that's what it sounded like.

In the opinion of the forum's electrical and technical whizzes, is there any technical consideration that might prevent me changing this toy horn for a real one?

Any - Horns - RichT54

That sounds like the same horn I had in a 4th generation CRV - weedy and absolutely pathetic, which was even more embarrasing in a vehicle of that size. The Honda forum I used to follow had some posts from members who had attempted to upgrade their horns, but apparently space available was rather limited.

Any - Horns - elekie&a/c doctor

Low rent horns seem to be the norm on jap cars. Even my sil's Lexus sounds like a squeak. No reason you can't upgrade to twins.The issues you will have are space and the wiring circuit will need to be modified.

Any - Horns - argybargy

Thanks for that. The engine compartment is rammed to the edges, so I doubt whether I could do it myself if the horn is anywhere except right at the top and clear of anything else.

Might just have to swallow the occasional embarrassment, or maybe keep one of those "airhorns in a tin" on the passenger seat.

Any - Horns - RichT54

I found this video of a US company upgrading the horn on a 2015+ Honda Fit using a Horn Upgrade Kit - not sure how similar it would be to your Jazz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDkbJUAItXg

Any - Horns - badbusdriver

Here you go argy, this should do the trick!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Twin-Snail-Car-Air-Horn-Set...F

Also, after reading your post i was put in mind of the Mercedes 600 grosser, the favoured transport of various dictators and despots. It came with 2 seperate horns, one, a 'polite' horn, and the other was for getting the peasants out of the way!. Check this YouTube sound clip (never tried linking to a video or sound clip, but if it doesn't work, just google Mercedes 600 grosser horn):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MrlavXiso0

Any - Horns - Manatee

Pal of mine had a Bentley Mulsanne with switchable 'town' and 'country' horns.

Lots of horns here:

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=stebel

Any - Horns - bathtub tom

I'd like to improve the horn on '14 reg Yaris. I can see it behind the grille, but it looks like I'd have to remove the whole front section to get in there. I'm loathe to force plastic panels too much in low temperatures.

Another problem could be warranty. Dealers could use the excuse of non-standard parts fitted to invalidate it.

Any - Horns - John F

About 35yrs ago I fitted a separately switched compressor driven twin air horn like this to my TR7 for when I was feeling, er, impolite.

www.amazon.de/HELLA-3PB-003-001-651-Fanfare/dp/B00...n

It still works, but I wonder if the electronics of modern cars might be compromised by such add ons?

Any - Horns - gordonbennet

For those with Japanese cars (Scooby is a lovely note), the larger cars in the range usually have decent matched dual horns, in theory at least the wiring should be compatible.

The one on my LC was a bit weedy when i got it, soon found a bad connection, it's a jarring combination note now the pair are working you wouldn't miss it, well worth popping round the scrappies (if you have an old school type nearby you can poke nose about in), you can always jerry wire a pair up before buying to see if they suit you.

Any - Horns - focussed

I've got one of these as well as the standard horns on our L200 truck.

Certainly wakes the dozy frogs up if need be!

Good value, loud, comes with a relay etc. a real air horn if you have litte room to fit it

www.amazon.co.uk/SUNDELY%C2%AE-Nautilus-Style-Comp...2

Any - Horns - SLO76
Honda’s all have weedy horns. Our 64 plate CRV sounds like Noddy’s car.

I did once fit dixi airhorns to an old Mondeo for a General Lee look banger challenge entry. Sounded great and would definitely suit a Honda Jazz.