Ford Focus Estate - 2017 Focus deals vs 4-5 year old cars - Tom Stickland

I've got a 2006 Focus estate 2L 16v which has been great but it's at 245,000 miles and I think I need to replace it sometime soon. Still returning 42mpg but the transmission slop is getting worse and it's developing a taste for oil gradually.

I've had a good look round Autotrader and at discount new car websites. The cost of ownership for a 3 or 4 year old car and a new one is almost the same. The cost per month is within £10 - 20 between a 5 year old car and a new one.

I'd be happy with a 1.0 125ps Ecoboost or the 1.5 150ps Ecoboost. I'm not sure those engines will survive to 200,000 miles like a more basic 1.6 16v though.

I could get a new one for £15,000. e.g.: www.nationwide-cars.co.uk/cars/ford/focus/10-ecobo.../

On Autotrader used models are holding onto their value a bit too well. I'd struggle to get one less than 5 years old without spending £8K.

My priorities are the engine.The only feature I want is heated front screens. Other than that I want the smallest wheels and fewest features. Modern cars have so much tat. Why do I need emergency brake assist? If I want to stop hard then I'll press the pedal hard. I suppose I'll just take what it's got though.

Are the prices going to drop further when the 2018 model is launched?

Edited by Tom Stickland on 05/02/2018 at 23:09

Ford Focus Estate - 2017 Focus deals vs 4-5 year old cars - SLO76
The 1.0 Ecoboost has developed a rather nasty reputation for failure unfortunately so for your usage and intended term of ownership it’s not something I’d buy.

The 1.6 and later 1.5 Ecoboost motors are however both based on the old Yamaha designed Zetec-SE design that dares from 1996 and is very robust indeed if looked after properly. There’s no sign that adding a turbocharger has weakened it noticeably either. This would make an excellent replacement for your old model.

But they’re not that easy to find with this engine, with most either the flawed 1.0 or the diesel of doom 1.6 TDCi. There’s a ready supply of normally asperated 1.6 petrols too which will run and run even if they’re a bit flat performance wise.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180124305...8

Other good options would be a Honda Civic Tourer 1.6 DTEC, 1.8 petrol or Toyota Auris 1.2 T Estate. Both will last as long as you’d ever need and the Honda 1.6 Diesel is particularly good with plenty of pull yet a genuine 70mpg capability in the Civic.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180120293...3

Edited by SLO76 on 06/02/2018 at 07:24

Ford Focus Estate - 2017 Focus deals vs 4-5 year old cars - badbusdriver

If you are insisting on a heated front screen, you are going to be limited to Ford as i think they are the only manufacturer to use them though i'm not really sure why that is(?).

But as SLO points out, the ecoboost does have a reputation. Not sure if buying new and following a rigorous servicing schedue would make any difference.

As for the 1.6 diesel (of doom), having done some research and spoken to some owners, there does seem to be a split in opinions. Most recently, i spoke to a bodyshop owner/used car/van trader who scoffed when i mentioned concerns about that engine (and he wasn't trying to sell me anything). He essentially said that if the oil is changed at a more realistic gap than the official one, and, critically, THE CORRECT TYPE OF OIL MUST BE USED, then they don't give any problems. And he does actually run a citroen berlingo with one of these engines. My own opinion, based on what i have read, is that i would be happy enough with a new one, so that i could follow the servicing advice to the letter, but i would be reluctant to buy used.

Ford Focus Estate - 2017 Focus deals vs 4-5 year old cars - RT

Heated front screens are available on most brands - Ford's patent ran out some years ago and even then it was only one method - they did of course allow Volvo, Jaguar and Land-Rover to use them.

My VW has a heated front screen, very effective it is too.

Ford Focus Estate - 2017 Focus deals vs 4-5 year old cars - badbusdriver

I was under the impression that most other manufacturers 'heated screen' was simply a button which directed all the available blown air at the windscreen, as opposed to actual heating elements like the ford?.

When going over the controls of our last car (a hyundai i30), the salesman said it had a heated windscreen, and pointed to the button, but all it did was to direct the airflow at the windscreen and switch on the air con. Same with our current car, a honda jazz.

Ford Focus Estate - 2017 Focus deals vs 4-5 year old cars - RT

I was under the impression that most other manufacturers 'heated screen' was simply a button which directed all the available blown air at the windscreen, as opposed to actual heating elements like the ford?.

When going over the controls of our last car (a hyundai i30), the salesman said it had a heated windscreen, and pointed to the button, but all it did was to direct the airflow at the windscreen and switch on the air con. Same with our current car, a honda jazz.

No - there's more than one way to embed elements in the screen - and even Ford's process can now be used by any brand - my VW is definitely elements in the glass.

You may be refering to a PTC ceramic element in the heating system which creates heat almost immediately - many brands/models do that.

Ford Focus Estate - 2017 Focus deals vs 4-5 year old cars - craig-pd130

My VW has a heated front screen, very effective it is too.

Likewise, my wife's 15-plate Corsa E has a heated screen too. Oddly, our other Corsa E (a 65-plate SRi) doesn't. Presumably some juggling of trim levels, etc

Thanks for the replies.

On Autotraderif I wanted a fun car:

1.5 150ps 75K , 2011, £6.25K

1.6 180ps 19K, 2013, £9.5K.

I've just done a search for nearly new Estates and there's two 1.5 TDi 120ps cars listed. These have better acceleration figures than the 125ps Ecoboost and I would expect it outlast the petrol engine. They're 2017 cars with 5-8 K on the clocks for £12K. That makes a big difference to my cost of ownership calculations. I don't really want to buy a new car. I'd rather nearly new so someone else can depreciate it and put the initial scratches on it.

I'd settle for a 120ps diesel though I'd rather a 1.5 Ecoboost since it has 0-60 performance that's better than my 2L 16v and better economy.

Edited by Tom Stickland on 06/02/2018 at 18:00

Ford Focus Estate - 2017 Focus deals vs 4-5 year old cars - daveyK_UK

Avoid the 1.0 eco boost in the Ford Focus, see the Ford owners forum for more info

“I've just done a search for nearly new Estates and there's two 1.5 TDi 120ps cars listed. These have better acceleration figures than the 125ps Ecoboost and I would expect it outlast the petrol engine.“

Don’t bet on it. The 1.5 diesel is essentially a downsized and mildly updated PSA 1.6 motor that has developed a nasty reputation for turbo failure among other problems. It’s very possible they have finally eliminated this engines weaknesses however the 1.6/1.5 Ecoboost is a known quantity with a good track record for durability. The diesel would be a better bet than the highly stressed 1.0 Ecoboost but the older Yamaha designed 1.6/1.5 is the best motor in the range along with the Mazda designed 2.0 Ecoboost in the ST.

"the older Yamaha designed 1.6/1.5 is the best motor in the range along with the Mazda designed 2.0 Ecoboost in the ST."

Thanks, that's useful info. The 1.5/1.6 Ecoboost is an engine I like the sound of.

Edited by Tom Stickland on 06/02/2018 at 22:42

Any opinions on 2.0 TDCi vs 1.6 Ecoboost in terms of mpg, running costs and life expectancy?

Both good engines but as with all modern diesels there’s more to go wrong with the 2.0 TDCi. If you’re doing enough mileage to warrant a DPF equipped diesel and you’re willing to spend that extra £50-£100 a year to maintain it properly with a main dealer history instead of handing it to Dodgy Joe’s backstreet shack then there’s no reason why you can’t get 200k out of it, plenty of taxi drivers have from Mondeo and Galaxy models running the same engine. Though DPF, injector and DMF issues are common beyond 80k.

It’ll do a fairly easy 50-55mpg day to day compared to around 40 with the Ecoboost and it has loads of lazy low speed shove. I’d have the petrol if you’re doing less than 15k a year but diesel beyond that. That’s all assuming you plan on avoiding the rubbish Powershift auto. The petrol should be no bother again if properly maintained by someone who understands these engines.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/02/2018 at 20:21

Thanks. Not a lot in it then really. There's some very tidy 2013 TDCis around with low mileages which look like a good deal. Curiousity is getting the better of me so I think I'm going to go and look at a 1.6 Ecoboost.

Edited by Tom Stickland on 15/02/2018 at 20:46

Thanks. Not a lot in it then really. There's some very tidy 2013 TDCis around with low mileages which look like a good deal. Curiousity is getting the better of me so I think I'm going to go and look at a 1.6 Ecoboost.

I’d be more concerned with history and condition than exact specification if you’re buying at 4-5yrs old and petrol certainly would be the safer bet. I’d want a fully stamped up Ford service book on any high spec turbocharged Focus. The petrol is also a much lighter engine meaning it’s a more nimble handling car. Drive both but I’d base it on the above.