parking ticket for parking in the disabled bay - Wonderland
Advise please.
I needed to drop a Myhermes parcel so went to one of the convenience shops in my local town (don’t shop there). I arrived after 6pm, it was quite dark, the store and nearby take away and betting shop have a small free car park which was full except two spaces at the front. I stopped at one of them, dropped off the parcel and was out of the store in about 2 min. When I came out I saw a guy taking pictures of my car, and as I was just about to drive off he slapped a parking ticket on my window. It was for parking in the disabled bay and not displaying the blue badge. I understand I did wrong so the ticket is justified. I never park in the disabled bays so genuine mistake. It was dark, the area around the shop poorly lit, I clearly did not notice the disabled markings, was just glad to find a parking space. This guy must have been waiting for someone like me (why else would you be in a small free car park on the edge of town) as he had the ticket issued in less than 2 min of my arrival. However, he got both the colour and the make of the car wrong on the parking ticket (as I said, it was dark) just the number plate correct. Can I appeal on the grounds of his error or also that it was dark and hard to see the markings? Or shall I just suck it up and pay? Thank you for your advice.

The company that issued the ticket was Parking Ticketing Limited

Edited by Wonderland on 18/01/2018 at 23:30

parking ticket for parking in the disabled bay - ExA35Owner

You could go to pepipoo - the website offers a lot of well-informed help in these things.

However if it's only a small car park, they may well have trouble with people parking when not using the shops, or from people using disabled bays so making the disabled unable to shop there, so they may actually need a patrol. One spot I know has the shopkeepers complaining bitterly about non-customers parking and therefore driving away trade, making a serious hole in their balance sheet.

parking ticket for parking in the disabled bay - RT

It's difficult to say this without appearing vindictive, but you did park where you shouldn't. You've been unlucky to get the notice after such a short time but that's no different to someone getting a ticket for being 1 minute over their allowed time.

It's worth appealing, get advice from Pepipoo, but if that fails then pay up and move on.

parking ticket for parking in the disabled bay - Bromptonaut

These places have a constant problem with disabled bays being occupied by people 'just dropping off a parcel' or 'just using the cash machine' and in each case only there for a couple of minutes. Trouble is space is near permanently occupied by folks doing just this or just that and the genuinely disabled don't get a look in. That's why the attendant pounces straight away. Bottom line is it's your job to make sure your not parking in a restricted area.

Best to pay up while there may still be a discount for early settlement and before the costs escalate.

parking ticket for parking in the disabled bay - Cris_on_the_gas

It is not clear if this is a private car park owned by the landowners or a public car park. Can you expand further on the type of car park it is ?

In the former then the landowner or agent can issue a "Parking Charge Notice". If you have broken the terms of parking and the terms are clearly displayed then they are entitled to invoice you your mistake.

If the ticket was issued by a PCSO or Council parking attendant then it is a "Penalty Charge Notice". From what you say I doubt if this was a PCSO as they don't generally wait around in ambush.

No coincidence that the above terms are very similar, there has been a huge debate on this and other forums

In both cases it must be clearly marked. Any omissions in this respect will work in your favour as a defence. However it's my experience that in most car parks the spaces near to the front are often empty for the very reason you have just discovered. So worth spending a bit of time double checking.

parking ticket for parking in the disabled bay - daveyjp
It will be a private invoice. Do your homework on pepipoo or moneysavingexpert site and you won’t be paying.

Blue badges are not needed on private land. Disabled places are provided for anyone who is disabled, this is far wider reaching than someone who is eligible for a blue badge.

Don’t panic, do some reading and appeal properly.
Disabled places are provided for anyone who is disabled, this is far wider reaching than someone who is eligible for a blue badge.

I'd be interested in your definition of "disabled but not qualifying for a Blue Badge" as it's the lowest of all the official definitions with many people qualifying for a Blue Badge but not even close to qualifying for any of the state benefits for disability..

parking ticket for parking in the disabled bay - Wonderland

Thank you for your replies.

I apologize to anyone whom I upset by parking inthe disabled bay, genuine mistake, it was dark, I did not see the markings and I was in the unfamiliar car park.

The ticket issued was deserved, but it has wrong details - wrong color, wrong car make and model, but correct number plate. Does this invalidate the ticket?

parking ticket for parking in the disabled bay - FP

"...has wrong details - wrong color, wrong car make and model...Does this invalidate the ticket?"

Almost certainly not. I think the legal doctrine of "de minimis" (full phrase: "de minimis non curat lex" comes into play here. It means that the law will not concern itself with trivial issues. In your case you have technical errors of description which do not really have any significant bearing on the rights and wrongs of the situation.

Forget your circumstances. Go to the sites I mentioned previously, do some reading and you will get to the point where you realise there is nothing to get concerned about. You have the upper hand in all this.
Disabled places are provided for anyone who is disabled, this is far wider reaching than someone who is eligible for a blue badge.

I'd be interested in your definition of "disabled but not qualifying for a Blue Badge" as it's the lowest of all the official definitions with many people qualifying for a Blue Badge but not even close to qualifying for any of the state benefits for disability..

The definition is in the Equalities Act and it is far wide ranging than what s required for a blue badge.

The definition is in the Equalities Act and it is far wide ranging than what s required for a blue badge.

That definition reads "You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities."

I'm not clear which conditions meet that definition but don't meet the qualification for a Blue Badge, bearing in mind than anyone receiving and form of disability benefit is automatically entitled to one, others not on benefits having to meet requirements relating to walking..

I'm not clear which conditions meet that definition but don't meet the qualification for a Blue Badge, bearing in mind than anyone receiving and form of disability benefit is automatically entitled to one, others not on benefits having to meet requirements relating to walking..

Do you mean any form of disability benfit?

If so you're wide of the mark. To get a badge based on benefits applicant needs to get either Higher Rate Mobility Component of DLA or a score of 8 points or more for 'moving around' in PIP.

Either means unable or virtually unable to walk.

Do you mean any form of disability benfit?

If so you're wide of the mark. To get a badge based on benefits applicant needs to get either Higher Rate Mobility Component of DLA or a score of 8 points or more for 'moving around' in PIP.

Either means unable or virtually unable to walk.

There are 5 categories of automatic Blue Badge entitlement PLUS the assessed entitlement of walking difficulties

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac...f

I qualify for a Blue Badge as I have COPD/Heart Failure/Arthritis so any walking is difficult - but I'm a long way from qualifying from disability benefit, thankfully.

There are 5 categories of automatic Blue Badge entitlement PLUS the assessed entitlement of walking difficulties

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac...f

I qualify for a Blue Badge as I have COPD/Heart Failure/Arthritis so any walking is difficult - but I'm a long way from qualifying from disability benefit, thankfully.

Which is entirely consistent with what I said. Some, but by no means all, disability benefits are a passport to blue badge.

Other conditions may get you a badge too, but not automatically.

The government must be reading this thread - it's announced today they may extend the Blue Badge scheme to include Autism and Dementia sufferers.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42763767

parking ticket for parking in the disabled bay - KJP 123

Just read same in Mail on Sunday, RT.

Seems odd. The criteria should surely be the difficulty in walking longer distances, whether from something like arthritis or a heart or breathing problem. There may be exceptions but I don’t see how those with autism or depression (like me) need or will be helped by a blue badge.

The more blue badges there are, the harder it will be for those who really need them to find a space.

Just read same in Mail on Sunday, RT.

Seems odd. The criteria should surely be the difficulty in walking longer distances, whether from something like arthritis or a heart or breathing problem. There may be exceptions but I don’t see how those with autism or depression (like me) need or will be helped by a blue badge.

The more blue badges there are, the harder it will be for those who really need them to find a space.

i'm not sure that clinical depression is included - the BBC report refers only to Autism, Dementia and Alzheimers.

Part of the reason for shortage of spaces are the abuses of Blue Badges - straight fraudulent use of a stolen badge, use by friends & family members and use by those without a Blue Badge - and then there are those who fraudulently claim disability benefit.

As an aside, something I only found out when I applied for my bus pass at age 60, now changed to 65, i discovered that those under 60/65 with a Blue Badge are automatically entitled to a bus pass - if that were known more widely, some would use public transport rather than own car and Blue Badge

parking ticket for parking in the disabled bay - HGV ~ P Valentine

I would not waste your time on an appeal, its not points on your license, so i would jusy pay and move on. I got a ticket in Morrisons car park for being 1 minute over, it happens to us all.