2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - bluenun

My car has the original battery a silver calcium Motorcraft Superstart, I am goinng to charge it tomorrow but if I need to replace it have been looking online and do not seem to be able to match all the specifications listed below.

I can find a 50Ah or a 60Ah, would 60Ah be too much for my car?

EMS 550 075 051W

12V

500A

90RC

52Ah

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - elekie&a/c doctor

60 a/h calcium will be fine. Should be a UK 065/075

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 15/12/2017 at 18:35

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - bluenun

Thanks for the reply.

Would the specifications on these be ok for my car?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-YUASA-STARTER-BATTERY-YBX50...r

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/075-Bosch-Silver-Calcium-Car-Va...j

Edited by bluenun on 15/12/2017 at 18:51

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - Galaxy

Either of those batteries would be fine.

However, I might be inclined to check prices at my local Euro Car Parts Centre as well.

www.eurocarparts.com

It's all very well buying a new car battery on Ebay but you need to think what would happen if say, for example, it were to fail in a couple of years time and it needed to be returned to the supplier for exchange under warranty.

Thanks for the reply, you are correct in what you typed about ordering from Ebay.

However the same Bosch battery which is £74 on Ebay is £118 at Europarts and the nearest one to me is a 50 minute drive.

Europarts does have a battery for £73 which comes up when I input my registration but it is a

calcium calcium battery, no mention of silver. So that maybe a false economy.

www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2003/p/c...0

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - Manatee

Anything on ECP is usually cheaper on its sister site carparts4less, as in this case Same stuff, same warehouse presumably.

www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2003...0

I usually look at Tayna for batteries.

www.tayna.co.uk/075-Car-Batteries-G25.html

Thanks for the reply,

Tanya have this one, it is an 065 rather than an 075, does that matter?

www.tayna.co.uk/065-Enduroline-Car-Battery-P8386.h...l

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - gordonbennet

I've yet to have a Yuasa battery fail on me, and the brand has become my first choice if OE are stupidly priced.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - elekie&a/c doctor

Lion batteries are ECP/ Carparts 4 less own brand. I would stick with Bosch/Varta/Exide. How far is your local Ford dealer?they often run deals on batteries.Don't worry about the silver .The calcium content is the important spec.

There is a Ford dealer about 8 miles from me.

In the past I have found Ford dealers quite pricey.

I wll see if they have any deals on.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - Chris Miller

Discount code xmas17 gets you 40% off at ECP with free delivery and so cheaper than eBay.

Edited by Chris Miller on 15/12/2017 at 22:48

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - Manatee

WEEKEND14 will get you 14% off the (Lower to start with) prices at carparts4less.co.uk

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - Chris Miller

Do the maths though and you will find the final price is very close. Nearly always is with ECP and CP4L being one and the same. In fact, in the OP's case, the Bosch S4 comes out a few pence cheaper at ECP.

Thanks for the help.

I went into the Ford dealer this morning, parts are not open on the weekdend.

The car did start up and run fine. Bought some de-ionised water and have the charger ready

should I need it.

At least I know which battery to go for and there are a few places to buy it from.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - gordonbennet

I went into the Ford dealer this morning, parts are not open on the weekdend.

Brilliant, you couldn't make it up, not even open on a saturday morning, that used to be the case at our local Ford dealership too, so sure of their captive customer base they didn't even open the showroom on a weekend no sales staff present, the whole place locked up.

The weekend, the one time people with jobs which pay money might have some free time to look for a new car.

Whats that you say? how's that working out for them? Oh fine just fine they went out of business years ago, missed you ask? no.

You couldn't make it up, unless they've moved into politics and are now running the country, in which case it does make sense.

Its years since i had anything to do with Fords, but in the county town10 miles away the Ford dealer parts dept would help you out at all hours, nights weekends whatever if they had someone on shift in the workshops, no surprise that one was doing well.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - Doc

It's all very well buying a new car battery on Ebay but you need to think what would happen if say, for example, it were to fail in a couple of years time and it needed to be returned to the supplier for exchange under warranty.

A very good point. I have been looking on-line and there are some very good deals with top makes, but any problems would result in you having no battery whilst the supplier assessed the fault.

I think it will need to be Halfords ( who did an exchange for me many years ago with no quibble) or a local factors, but both with a limited choice on makes.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec auto - Which numbers on a battery are important? - Wackyracer

Our Astra has had a Lion brand battery on it for 3 years now, not had any problems with it. Infact have just bought another for one of the other cars but, the design is different so maybe they have changed to a different supplier/manufacturer for them.