Hyundai i30 - Sheer waste - expat

The wife has a Hyundai i30 which we bought new 8 years ago and which has been faultless up till last week. We then had the door window fail to raise. Put it into our local dealer and they replaced the entire interior of the door! It is a big plate with wire strung round running through plastic guides and catches. One of them had broken so the entire assembly had to be replaced at a cost of A$400 instead of just the broken catch which would have been a trivial cost! I don't blame the dealer who has always been totally honest and helpful. I blame Hyundai and the mentality of don't fix the broken bit - get a complete new assembly. There is a market out there for some backyard guy to make replacement pulleys and catches that can be fitted to the existing assembly. OK the dealer won't be allowed to use them but the local independent can and will.

To think that we are encouraged to recycle milk cartons and they throw away complete door interiors for a 20 cent broken catch! This sort of short sighted profit seeking will come back and bite car companies through dissatisfied customer feedback on sites like this.

Hyundai i30 - Sheer waste - oldroverboy.

the world's upside down isn't it.

:)

thats how to make money.. could you not have gone to an indy and a scrapyard.. (and don it yourself?)

>>could you not have gone to an indy and a scrapyard..

With the benefit of hindsight that is what I should have done. I have always taken this car to the main dealer for all servicing and it never occurred to me that it would be such a big bill. A bit naive of me.

>>(and don it yourself?)

I am not good mechanically. I used to do a lot on my cars in the past. Waterpumps, head gaskets, etc but modern cars are beyond me so I pay the experts. At 8 years old this car may be due to start going to my trusted independent.

I have now found the clips on ebay from vendor brossautoparts. US$9. This guy sells a heap of other parts for other makes also so he is worth checking out for that sort of stuff.

An expensive lesson for me. Apparently this is a known fault for i30s.

Hyundai i30 - Sheer waste - Andrew-T

I don't blame the dealer who has always been totally honest and helpful. I blame Hyundai and the mentality of don't fix the broken bit - get a complete new assembly.

No doubt you have had good service from this dealer, but if this is 'a known fault' then perhaps the dealer might have suggested the cheap fix rather than his textbook large-scale replacement - which his bosses would expect him to recommend. Of course he has to follow his company guidelines, but a dealer who is prepared to be nice to his regulars should have known about the alternatives.

Hyundai i30 - Sheer waste - argybargy

Leaves a bad taste, does this sort of thing. You get the strongest impression that when you walk into that glitzy showroom you're seen not as a valued customer but as a cash cow.

I had a similar feeling when my dealer, who had been brilliant over the replacement of my clutch on warranty, suggested that the way to address the issue of a cooling fan which had been damaged because they left a connector loose so that it fouled the fan blades was to pay them hundreds to install a new fan.

For once, I took the sensible option and walked away. The blades may not look great but they work, so stuff it.

Edited by argybargy on 12/12/2017 at 10:52

Hyundai i30 - Sheer waste - SteVee

Had a similar problem on a Seat Ibiza (a 1994 model). Front window lifter failures were fairly common and expensive. I sort of remember an inner card/fibre panel with lots of wire running around pulleys/guides. The car was killed by rust at aount 10 years old - other than that it was a great car.

>>an inner card/fibre panel with lots of wire running around pulleys/guides.

This arrangement of wires running round the inside of the door seems to be a common way to do things but it is a Heath Robinson arrangement. Really there was nothing wrong with the old wind up windows. The only benefit of motorised windows is to let you open them on the other side of the car without leaning over. Yet another fancy gadget to go wrong.

Hyundai i30 - Sheer waste - John F

So many repairs like this are only 'easy when you know how'.

For years we have had no remote central locking on our 17yr old Focus because the actuator in the driver's door seized (common fault with Ford door locks!). Couldn't be bothered to fix it until recently when, only thanks to U-tube, I was able to remove the door card, extract the lock mechanism, saw off a corner of the sealed unit, inject liberally with WD40, and put it all back together again with a satisfying return of function. But without U-tube guidance I would probably have tinkered for hours, eventually finding it impossible. And if I'd had it done professionally, they would just have inserted an expensive new lock mechanism with all its trimmings.

Hyundai i30 - Sheer waste - CK91437

They are not called main s******s for nothing.

But onus is on customer to get a quote before giving go ahead for the work to be done.

A lesson learned.