Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - Galaxy

Just in case anyone happens to be interested Radio Caroline, who were the UK's first Offshore Radio station back in the sixties, are currently carrying out Test Transmissions for a new service on 648 kHz. They are using a Community Radio Licence which was awarded to them by the UK regulatory authority OFCOM earlier in the year.

Their transmission site is located on the Suffolk coast and the signal is travelling, well, let's just say, far and wide!

If you enjoy listening to radio that's a bit different you may-well like to give them a listen. If you've still got a car radio that covers the AM Medium Wave then you could listen in your car (Car related connection added!)

Reception reports are very welcome: radiocaroline.co.uk/#am_reception.html

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - Bolt

Thanks, I used to listen in on Radio Caroline by Crystal set in the 60s, even though some evenings they faded in and out, mind you apart from BBC you couldn`t get much else in those days

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - RichT54

I also used to listen to the pirate radio stations in the 60s, although I had a small transistor radio rather than a crystal set. Was it Radio Caroline where people used to drive to the Essex coast and flash their car's headlights towards the ship to send messages to the DJs on board? - an early version of a phone-in show I suppose.

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - groaver

What's a radio?

;)

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - focussed

We can get Radio Caroline in Brittany France - on VHF 88.2 mhz.

www.radiocaroline.bzh/

(bzh is an abbreviation for Breizh = Brittany in the breton language)

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - Bromptonaut

When did BBC World Service give up 648?

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - Galaxy

When did BBC World Service give up 648?

According to Wikipedia:

Transmissions on this frequency (648 kHz) were stopped on 27 March 2011, as a consequence of the budgetary constraints imposed on the BBC World Service in the 2010 budget review.

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - bathtub tom

I also used to listen to the pirate radio stations in the 60s, although I had a small transistor radio rather than a crystal set. Was it Radio Caroline where people used to drive to the Essex coast and flash their car's headlights towards the ship to send messages to the DJs on board? - an early version of a phone-in show I suppose.

Jonny Walker used to say 'we're running out of tea-bags' as a message to his girlfriend at the time to 'send more pot'. They were inundated with tea-bags.

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - FoxyJukebox

The TuneIn radio app for mobiles is an excellent way of accessing hundreds of unusual internet radio stations(including Caroline) for in car bluetooth . Enjoy!

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - Doc

Who would have thought that we would be listening to legal Caroline in 2017 on medium wave! Reception fair in SE London.

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Nothing on 648kHz around Derbyshire. A Welsh station on 649kHz though.

I had forgotten how poor medium wave sound was untill I did a quick flick through the medium wave.

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - argybargy

Back in the 60s it was either Luxembourg or Caroline, and usually the latter. Prior to Radio 1, which is now virtually unlistenable for this reactionary musical codger, it was the only way to get your ears round the latest sounds via the radio.

A couple of names still spring to mind from those days: Tony Prince, Mike Ahern amongst them. No doubt many Caroline DJs went on to bigger and more mainstream things, but I still recall the stations output and character with great affection. Especially given that a battery powered radio tuned into Caroline became our only link with the outside world when the leccy was disconnected for several weeks, perhaps months, coz Mum hadn't paid the bill.

Great to hear that this good old brand is on the way back.

Edited by argybargy on 01/12/2017 at 17:04

Nothing on 648kHz around Derbyshire. A Welsh station on 649kHz though.

I had forgotten how poor medium wave sound was untill I did a quick flick through the medium wave.

CAn hear it now in Northampton, buzzy but audible.

Funny there's something on 649. Stations are meant to be at 9khz seperation so next would be 657. Still get Caroline on 649 (which is what you'd expect).

Kit is a Sony ICF-SW 7600GR.

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - daveyK_UK

The TuneIn radio app for mobiles is an excellent way of accessing hundreds of unusual internet radio stations(including Caroline) for in car bluetooth . Enjoy!

correct

a real shame that mobile coverage in Anglia isnt good enough

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - diddy1234

For anyone that wants to listen online, A type of radio called SDR (Software defined radio) can be used at this web site :-

websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901

NOTE: it's a bit overkill as it's the entire shortwave radio spectrum sampled at a very fast rate

Edited by diddy1234 on 01/12/2017 at 18:11

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - dadbif
I used to listen to Caroline and 208 on an old R1155...
Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I was in too much of a hurry the other day. There is indeed a musical broadcast on 648. Very muffled with an overlay of chips being fried.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 02/12/2017 at 09:56

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - Doc

A very strong signal in SE London today.

Radio Caroline AM service to open:

Weather and technology permitting, our programmes on 648Khz will commence originating from the Ross Revenge at 7.00AM on Friday 22nd December.

Edited by Doc on 19/12/2017 at 11:04

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - quizman

I loved Radio Caroline on 199 and used to go to the top of a hill in Derbyshire to listen to it. I am pleased it is coming back and I trust they will only play the golden oldies!

When Caroline was banned by the Wilson government I was furious and have never voted Labour since. I didn't vote Labour before because I was too young, you had to be 21 in those days. I loved the theme tune "Caroline' by the Fortunes and have it on my phone.

Edited by quizman on 19/12/2017 at 19:03

When Caroline was banned by the Wilson government I was furious and have never voted Labour since.

Do you seriously believe a Conservative government would have behaved differntly?

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - oldroverboy.

When Caroline was banned by the Wilson government I was furious and have never voted Labour since.

Do you seriously believe a Conservative government would have behaved differntly?

No, they'd have sent a gunboat and privatised it...

Any - Radio Caroline on 648 kHz - quizman

It was already privatised. The BBC was nationalised, that's the point I was trying to make.

In general Conservatives believe in free enterprise, well they did in those days.