- daveyjp
36,000 miles over 6 years in a diesel. Unfortunately its a potential disaster waiting to happen, low mileage is simply not good for a modern diesel whoever manufactures it.
Honest John’s Motoring Agony Column 04-11-2017 Part 2 - mmmmm
36,000 miles over 6 years in a diesel. Unfortunately its a potential disaster waiting to happen, low mileage is simply not good for a modern diesel whoever manufactures it.

Umm, not quite...clio 1.5, 10 plate, 49000 miles, nil engine issues.

Honest John’s Motoring Agony Column 04-11-2017 Part 2 - Engineer Andy

It often can depend on the length of each journey and type of road driven on, and not the overall annual mileage. A car doing 5k miles a year, but say once a week for a 100 mile round trip on fast-flowing A-roads, dual carriageways and/or motorways out of peak hours (so not in jig-jog traffic) will probably be fine, as the DPF will almost always passively regenerate or at least have more than enough time to actively do so during such journeys.

The opposite would be for a car that does lots of urban, slow-speed driving, such as a mummobile, even if that included many journeys and the occasional longer trip to friends and family but sparingly.

Of course, some diesel engines seem, howevere they are used, to be more susceptible to their DPFs clogging up than others. You may have been lucky if you were nearer to the first group if drivers, whereby a good long run at 50/60mph+ once a week would clear the DPF, or it could be pure luck that you did so less often but exactly when an active regen was required. I presume you've owned yours from new to give you a full ownership history to make the comments you did?

- Palcouk
Personally, as someone who has had a number of diesel cars over a number of years, and used to do 35k/year, I would never have considered a diesel with the sort of mileage mentioned, unless I was towing
- craig-pd130
@ GC in Penrith - it's worth looking at a 225xe plug-in hybrid. MPV versatility, high driving position, 4wd available and it can really shift when needed (the Mini Countryman plug-in uses the exact same powertrain and is basically the same car underneath).

Charges in 3 hours from a conventional 13A socket, and will do 15 miles or so in pure electric mode. Not many around in the UK but worth seeking out.
- HighlanderUK
a small tip for those looking at nearly new/used cars, depending on how you are financing, check the monthly payments on your nearly new (say 1 year old), and then look at the cost of a new model with same spec.

I have found with several brands, the nearly new/used model is more expensive on finance, than a brand new one with dealer/manufacturer discounts & incentives, plus its usually the latest model and options.

as in all large purchases, it can pay to do your homework first.
Honest John’s Motoring Agony Column 04-11-2017 Part 2 - HairyJones

Pre-2009 diesel engined cars are no trouble. The problems start after DPFs are made mandatory, and more recently the AdBlue issues especially with VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat diesels. Just avoid these diesels like the plague.