Hyundai i10 - Gearbox removal - Alex Buckley

Hi All,

My car went to the garage (main dealer) yesterday because the gears were slipping slightly, 1 small slip for about 2 hours of driving. I then got a call to say the gearbox had to be removed, as its the only way to see if it damaged. They said it was and that it needs replacing.

Can anyone tell me, is the only way to tell if a gearbox needs replacing to remove it?

Thanks

Hyundai i10 - Gearbox removal - SLO76
Is it an automatic? What age is it and what mileage too?

Hi Thanks for the reply.

Its a manual, 40,000 miles, 2 years old.

Hyundai i10 - Gearbox removal - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like the clutch is worn.Doubt it is a gearbox fault.

Sorry yes the clutch, I'm getting mixed up. So my question should be:

Do you need to take the clutch out to know that it is worn/needs replacing?

Thanks

Hyundai i10 - Gearbox removal - galileo

Thanks

Unless you have X-ray vision like Superman, yes you do. Although if it has been slipping this is a good indication.

Thanks

Yes and it's not a catastrophically expensive job on one of these and If it's worn and slipping it won't be covered under warranty. I'd get a few quotes from other garages first to make sure your own isn't far off. I'd also change your driving characteristics if you've managed to burn through a clutch in 40k, you must be riding it at junctions etc. Use the handbrake instead.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/10/2017 at 13:39

Hyundai i10 - Gearbox removal - daveyjp

Some Hyundais have a reputation for poor clutches.

My wife had an i20 with less than 10k when we bought it, but the clutch often squealed and it never felt right - one of the many reasons we got rid PDQ.

My wife had an i20 with less than 10k when we bought it, but the clutch often squealed and it never felt right - one of the many reasons we got rid PDQ.

This sounds like a worn not faulty clutch. I wholly agree that Hyundai and Kia are a bit weak on clutches (mostly oil contamination causing judder) as are Honda particularly on diesels but if it's slipping it's simply worn and that's 99% down to the driver.
Hyundai i10 - Gearbox removal - galileo

This sounds like a worn not faulty clutch. I wholly agree that Hyundai and Kia are a bit weak on clutches (mostly oil contamination causing judder) as are Honda particularly on diesels but if it's slipping it's simply worn and that's 99% down to the driver.

From Hyundai warranty terms, exceptions and limited coverage (i.e. items not covered 5 years/100,000 miles).

Defects occurring as a result of “fair wear and tear”. “Fair wear and tear” is defined as deterioration occurring through usage and no defect of material or a manufacturing nature is evident.

These include but are not limited to:

Description

Warranty Coverage (Period)

Warranty Coverage (Mileage)

Clutch disc

24 Months

60,000 Miles

Brake Friction Linings

24 Months

20,000 Miles

The implication is that clutch discs are covered as above.

Hyundai i10 - Gearbox removal - Chirpy99

I had aclutch replaced ubder warranty on my I10