I was in wrong lane - Raaaar
Probably a subject that's come up before but can anyone tell me what the likely outcome is please. Someone has just driven into my drivers door causing damage to their drivers side front corner. It's a roundabout I'm not used to and the signs said middle lane for straight on. I stopped and exchanged details but she wanted to argue. I've since been to the area again and now see I was in the wrong lane as I didn't count an earlier exit. I had indicated at the time I felt I might be in the wrong and in my mirror did not see the other car and on looking round. In hindsight I was in the wrong lane. Am I likely to be charged with careless etc and if so what might I face. Losing my license would be a disaster.
I was in wrong lane - RobJP

No, you're not likely to face any police action at all.

You must inform your insurance company promptly, however.

Thanks for that. How will I know if any action is to be taken. With sick parents and children living elsewhere I just want peace of mind ?
I was in wrong lane - RaineMan

Someone drove into my stationary car - I was in a queue and they wefre coming in the opposite direction. As it was bodywork damage only the police just made sure details were exchanged. If there in an injury or someone fails to stop they then become interested.

Without a diagram I cannot work out how their driver's front corner hit your drivers door/ The nearest I have seen was when someone straightlined a mini- roundabout, i.e. too fast for the conditions.

Should police have attended. I thought not needed as no injury. I waited while she said she was calling them and said I was happy to wait. She then returned and exchanged details. No police came.
I was in wrong lane - badbusdriver
Should police have attended. I thought not needed as no injury. I waited while she said she was calling them and said I was happy to wait. She then returned and exchanged details. No police came.

No mate, don't worry about it, the police have far more important things to do than attend a minor collision where nobody has been injured.

Years ago, as a bus driver, i clipped the front bumper of a car which which was sticking out into the road. I stopped to give the driver my details, he got all huffy and insisted on phoning the police. I told him that he could phone them if he wanted but there was no way they would attend. He did anyway, and guess what?, they told him to exchange insurance details!.

I was in wrong lane - SLO76
You won't be charged, just leave it to your insurance firm to sort out. Despite your error most bumps like this on roundabouts end up going bump for bump so expect to lose your excess and NCB but never ever stand and argue with someone at the roadside after a bump. Stay calm, exchange insurance details, take pictures of the damage and the road plus the other car with occupant if pos and get the contact info of any witnesses then leave. Unless there's wreckage to clear off the road or any injuries the police will not be interested or needed in my opinion.
Thanks to all who replied. You might have realised I worry.
I was in wrong lane - Smileyman

I guess you wern't drinking, under the influence of drugs, not speeding, all your lights work OK, the tyres are legal, the car is taxed (MOT'd if appropriate) & insured for you to drive, and you have a valid driving licence for the class of vehicle in question ... and didn't drive off without stopping to exchange details ... so sounds like you won't be fined, be awarded points or any other nasty, just make sure your insurance company is aware and be prepared for a reduced no claims discount next renewal (assuming the other party makes a claim that is regarded as your fault) and possibly to fund your insurance excess.

I would argue that the other driver hit you and failed to look where they were driving, irrespective of which lane you were using they should have checked to see where you were and made sure they didn't drive into your car. Perhaps you'll get a 50/50 split claim, then if you don't make an insurance claim you might even protect your no claims discount.

I was in wrong lane - Bolt

Kinda surprised your worried as I never see anyone in the correct lane on any roundabout, and lost track today of the amount of drivers on the phone (not even hiding it now) I guess theyve heard the reduction in police force so they know they can do almost anything they like and do....

I was in wrong lane - argybargy

Accidents will happen. You made a mistake, as we all do now and again, and nobody has suffered any particularly serious consequences. Lord Knows I've made plenty, and got away with some by the skin of my teeth.

In the days to come, the other party may be encouraged by relatives, friends, a television advert or something they read about in the media to claim that they've suffered an injury which has manifested itself after the event in order to maximise their compensation. If that does happen, your insurance company will deal with it and its nothing for you to be concerned about.

I was in wrong lane - John F
Someone has just driven into my drivers door causing damage to their drivers side front corner. It's a roundabout I'm not used to and the signs said middle lane for straight on. ....

I'm trying to picture this and can't, unless you were entering the roundabout and they were already on it and approaching at 90degrees. The wording suggests contributory fault - damage to the front of a car is almost always that driver's fault unless you suddenly went into their lane across lane markings (and then I would expect their damage to be front passenger side)

Anyway, roundabout bumps are two-a-penny, and great business for insurance companies who will argue it out at huge expense to the premium payers. Then each of you will be obliged to have the repairs done at maximum cost because 'it's an insurance job' - that's if they don't try to write off the car ... 'cos the repair will cost more than it's worth...' You will also both probably get a call from a heavily accented shyster insisting you must have sustained a severe whiplash injury .....kerching! Heigh ho.

I was in wrong lane - Bolt
Someone has just driven into my drivers door causing damage to their drivers side front corner. It's a roundabout I'm not used to and the signs said middle lane for straight on. ....

I'm trying to picture this and can't, unless you were entering the roundabout and they were already on it and approaching at 90degrees. The wording suggests contributory fault - damage to the front of a car is almost always that driver's fault unless you suddenly went into their lane across lane markings (and then I would expect their damage to be front passenger side)

Anyway, roundabout bumps are two-a-penny, and great business for insurance companies who will argue it out at huge expense to the premium payers. Then each of you will be obliged to have the repairs done at maximum cost because 'it's an insurance job' - that's if they don't try to write off the car ... 'cos the repair will cost more than it's worth...' You will also both probably get a call from a heavily accented shyster insisting you must have sustained a severe whiplash injury .....kerching! Heigh ho.

Only way I can picture it, is if the driver was taking sharp left into the OPs car as the OP entered the roundabout, so my thinking is the other car was in the wrong lane to hit like that? OS to OS hit has to be imo

I was in wrong lane - Dwight Van Driver

No police attended then none to submit offence file to CPS for a prosecution.

Your agravation may well come from your Insurance co with higher premiums.

dvd

Thanks again. I'll update for information purposes.