Used car advice - Ross552

I've just sold an old Porsche Boxster S (25MPG) and am about to part company with my Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6D (60MPG). I'd like to replace them with one car that finds a healthy compromise between the 2. I'm looking for something with great economy as I cover around 24k per year, some style and a strong engine as I enjoy driving enthusiastically. The number of seats isn't too important, but I would prefer something with a decent boot. Ideally, I'd like to spend £6-7k, but a little more could be feasible if needed. What's out there?

Thanks in advance.

Used car advice - SLO76
I'd tend to veer away from diesel at this sort of money but with your high mileage it's hard to ignore the fuel saving. I like the Ford Focus as a drivers car and rate the 1.6 Ecoboost motor which will break 40mpg driven reasonably while both 150 & 180PS variants are pretty lusty. It's based on the old Yamaha designed Zetec SE motor and should prove robust. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170829876...8

The 1.6 diesel is economical but has a nasty history of turbo failure among other issues so I'd leave it and possibly try the 2.0 TDCi. They've loads of spec, bags of torque and will easily break 55mpg without driving like a nun. Avoid anything with the Powershift gearbox though!

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171008008...7

I also rate the current Mazda 3 and Seat Leon but your budget isn't enough to get a good example with worthwhile spec plus I suspect the Mazda's normally asperated motor wouldn't be quick enough for you. It suits my laidback driving well enough. If you decide to spend a bit more the Mazda 3 2.0 petrol is a nice car to drive as is the Leon 1.4 TSi FR or the 1.8 if you want holigan speed. Both are very efficient.

Whatever you buy will be next to worthless in 2/3yrs with your heavy mileage which does give you the luxury of not having to worry about depreciation...

Edited by SLO76 on 09/10/2017 at 18:51

Used car advice - Engineer Andy

I've just sold an old Porsche Boxster S (25MPG) and am about to part company with my Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6D (60MPG). I'd like to replace them with one car that finds a healthy compromise between the 2. I'm looking for something with great economy as I cover around 24k per year, some style and a strong engine as I enjoy driving enthusiastically. The number of seats isn't too important, but I would prefer something with a decent boot. Ideally, I'd like to spend £6-7k, but a little more could be feasible if needed. What's out there?

Thanks in advance.

Will that budget be £6k - £7k plus what you get for the other two, or is that what you HAVE got or will likely get once the Alfa is sold? As SLO says, upping the budget to around/just over the £10k mark could get a far better car.

Used car advice - joegrundy

Re SLO's post above - I just happened to click on the link to the Focus 1.6 scti and was quite taken with it.. 'Lusty' to use his word and completely different from my curremt 04 x type 2.0d. I could enjoy the Focus on my 600 mile round trips to my daughter and 2500 foreign trips. A more practical mid life crisis car than a MX5, etc. but perhaps just as enjoyable.

The advert reads well, FSH. Is the price reasonable? Any points to bear in mind?

Used car advice - SLO76
It's a good model Joe but it's overpriced for a private sale. As a part ex he'd be offered between £6-£6.5k tops so anything more is a win for him, especially since he'll score a discount with no trade in. I'd be wanting it for well under £7k. It's quite a rare spec, not far off an ST for performance but a little more refined and much cheaper to buy as it doesn't have that fast Ford prestige or stigma depending on your taste. Checks would need to be done as per any private sale plus it needs to be cheap enough to factor in the risks.

There's a few 150PS versions at dealers too, a little slower but easier to find and still a gutsy little family hatch with very enjoyable handling characteristics. Worth seeking out and if budget matches I'd favour buying an approved used car from a Ford dealer. Mondeo with this engine is a gold too.
Used car advice - joegrundy

Thanks, SLO, you're a star!

An 'approved' used seems a better way to go to minimse risks (following your previous advice on several threads).

ST doesn't really appeal, and I thought I'd got through the midlife crisis thing with motorcycles. I enjoy the lazy power of the jag, but it's on borrowed time and after a conversation today with a similarly retired colleague I'm determined that I'm not yet ready for a Dacia or a Picanto.

A 150 ps Focus would fit the bill, I think. Will follow this up.