Vauxhall Vectra C - Noise on depressing clutch pedal. - sceptical john

Diesel Vectra with 75K miles on it started to make noise on depressing clutch pedal heard mostly at stops from neutral. Getting worse quickly. I think ould be central slave cylinder clutch release bearing. But the depot clutch houses tell me I need new dmf and clutch (which includes release bearing) total £800-£1000. I am sceptical that all this needs replacing if all the trouble is the bearing. They tell me the dmf breaks down and that when they take the clutch out they have to put a new one in. I don't know if I am being told porkies.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Noise on depressing clutch pedal. - Peter.N.

If the noise is only heard when pressing the pedal I would think the likeyhood is that the release bearing is failing. DMF's do fail but I have never had one do so and don't know the exact symptoms, I believe its more like a rattling noise when pulling away.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Noise on depressing clutch pedal. - elekie&a/c doctor

No sensible /knowledgeable garage would want to remove the gearbox to replace just a suspect release bearing.It is a 5-6 hour job,so do you feel lucky?

Vauxhall Vectra C - Noise on depressing clutch pedal. - hardway

While agreeing with the "Doc",

DMF's can be checked/tested for wear when the box is out,

BUT it'd have to be dam near perfect condition befor I'd even consider just fitting a clutch.

Oh and I want the instruction in you hand writing,

Signed and dated.

Not suggesting your not a straight up guy but there's some out there who think the last guy to work on a car is responable fro every thing ever after.

thanks - seems we ae getting somewhere on this.

I agree seems strange to me. Next I take it to a vauxhall delaer and let them tell me th box needs to come out. Strange thing is I have 3 different clutch houses all telling me I need to have all this done (dmf and nex clutch) and they cannot all be in leaguie with each other.

I did check the dmf by the youtube method which is to try to pull away in first with handbrake firmly on - if it judders badly dmf has gone. Mine just stalls so dmf is ok. I am going to take it next to a Vauxhall delar for diagnosis. That way I shoul avoid all these porkies

Vauxhall Vectra C - Noise on depressing clutch pedal. - RobJP

Taking an old Vauxhall to a main agent ... that's one hell of a way to spend a lot of money.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Noise on depressing clutch pedal. - RichardW

Taking an old Vauxhall to a main agent ... that's one hell of a way to spend a lot of money.

Indeed!

The job will break down something like this:

Labour to remove the gearbox: £400

Release bearing: £10 - £50 (depending on if it's part of the slave or not)

Labour to change the Bearing: £50

So, you're up near £500 already. Now, the clutch has done 80k, and you've knackered the release bearing. This is either a lot of gear changes, or a lot of sitting with it in gear with your foot on the clutch. There's a good chance the clutch itself is worn. Changing it will add only another £50 labour, but will add £300 - £500 for the parts for the clutch and flywheel. If it is not changed, and then fails in the near future, then you are looking at forking out the £400 again.

So, you've got 3 choices:

1. Replace the lot at £800 and get another 80-100k out of it

2. Spend the £25 to remove the clutch whilst the box is out and check the state of the linings and the DMF, being ready to put a new clutch in if either is worn out.

3. Save the £400 for the new clutch and take a punt on it being OK for a while yet, but expecting a repeat experience in a few years when the lining or DMF does wear out.

We had a release bearing failure on our C4 Picasso at 90k. New clutch was about £800 all in. In fact, when inspected the linings were only half worn, and there were no real signs of DMF distress. If I had been DIYing, I might have elected just to fit the £10 release bearing and live with the fact I might have to have the box out again.

To prolong the life of the release bearing, don't sit with your foot on the clutch, and to prolong the life of the linings and DMF don't overheat the clutch - no holding it on hills, or excessive slip when pulling away.

thanks Richard for very comprehensive answer. I was taking it to Vauxhall main dealer for diagnosis only. Seems like I don't even have to do that now. I did get a quote from A1 Clutches for £300 to replace clutch release bearing only but when I called in of course they gave me all this stuff about replacing the lot. Now they can quote for doing the clutch release bearing and inspection of the other items and convincing me if anything else needs replacing (which I doubt very much). Maybe I have been sitting there with my foot on the clutch so I need to check that. Many years ago when i was a lad they told you never to do that so I thought I wasn't. I do slip the clutch reversing into a difficult corner back up our drive which will not have done it much good but no real alternative to that. Thanks again.