Best budget laptop? - badbusdriver

My youngest son's current laptop is officially dead, but being the age he is (16) and the school work he has to do, he really needs one. Problem is that cash is a bit scarce at the moment, and due to other commitments, I don't want to take on anything else on finance. So I'm reaching out to any expert's among us on what the best laptop out there for under £300 would be?. He wouldn't be using it for gaming, just his school work.

Thanks in advance :)

Best budget laptop? - csgmart

If you are anywhere near a John Lewis I'd take a trip there. Plenty of lap tops to choose from in your budget any many of them come with 3 years warranty - for free.

In terms of recommendations - I would say any of the brands out there are pretty decent - HP, Dell, Acer and Lenovo.

I happen to have a couple of newish laptops going spare (both only just 1 year old - HP - good spec) that I would be willing to pass on for £150 if you're interested. I'm based in Bristol and travel regularly to Swindon and London.

Let me know if you are interested and I can provide the full spec and get one of the mods to pass you my details.

If you are anywhere near a John Lewis I'd take a trip there. Plenty of lap tops to choose from in your budget any many of them come with 3 years warranty - for free.

In terms of recommendations - I would say any of the brands out there are pretty decent - HP, Dell, Acer and Lenovo.

I happen to have a couple of newish laptops going spare (both only just 1 year old - HP - good spec) that I would be willing to pass on for £150 if you're interested. I'm based in Bristol and travel regularly to Swindon and London.

Let me know if you are interested and I can provide the full spec and get one of the mods to pass you my details.

Thanks for that response and offer, unfortunately I'm in N E Scotland so not very practical to get one of yours!. There is a John Lewis in Aberdeen (about 30 miles south of where I am) so if I get a chance I will have a look. But I was actually thinking about specific model recommendations, which I could then source on the Internet (which is much more convenient for me). But thanks again.

Best budget laptop? - daveyjp
I have found when buying computers your budget is always just below what is needed!

£300 really is bottom of the scale, go to £400 and you will get much more in choice.

Have a look at cclonline.com. They have a huge selection with a good filtering system. I paid £379 for a new Lenovo earlier this year and for what I need it for it has been excellent.

I have however noticed the exchnage rate changes have pushed prices up and this machine is now over £400.

Also if he is at school ask if they have access to any special purchase schemes.
I have found when buying computers your budget is always just below what is needed! £300 really is bottom of the scale, go to £400 and you will get much more in choice. Have a look at cclonline.com. They have a huge selection with a good filtering system. I paid £379 for a new Lenovo earlier this year and for what I need it for it has been excellent. I have however noticed the exchnage rate changes have pushed prices up and this machine is now over £400. Also if he is at school ask if they have access to any special purchase schemes.

Thanks for that dave, i will have a look at that website. also for that tip about asking at the school, it would never have crossed my mind!.

Best budget laptop? - concrete

Another option is the local council. There was a scheme where I used to live in N Yorkshire where the council linked up with IT suppliers of certain products and provided them at a discount for students. My youngest got some through the scheme via the local library. Worth a phone call or call in. Good luck. Cheers Concrete

Best budget laptop? - csgmart

You'll also need to budget for some software - if your child needs Excel or Word Microsoft Office is arounf £100 or a monthly subecription of £7.99. Schools sometimes have software you can use for free or have discounts on Microsoft products.

Best budget laptop? - John Boy

There's a survey here:

www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/laptop/best-chea.../

I bought a version of the one at the top of the list a year ago. It's been fine. It was £300 - now £375.

Best budget laptop? - FP

More reviews here:

tinyurl.com/y8azdrpa

(Prices quoted may have gone up a bit, but they start as low as £150, including a year's subscription to Microsoft Office! Most expensive is a T***iba Satellite with 14 in screen at £220 - e-Bay. I have an older version, and it's not bad.)

Seems to me you can indeed get something worthwhile for £300.

P.S. What's this with the swear filter? Why is "t o s h" not acceptable?

Edited by FP on 07/09/2017 at 12:34

Best budget laptop? - concrete

If you do get a laptop that doesn't come with software, don't worry. You can download free of charge from the internet a software operating system from Ubuntu. It has their equivalent of office and some useful additions you can download. It works very well for most things. However if you need to use Word for anything you need Microsoft. Concrete

Best budget laptop? - daveyjp
As a student there will be offers on MS software, probably via the school.

Ordered a lenovo ideapad last night. My son says he can get 'office' through the school. So hopefully it will do him till such time as he can pay for its replacement himself!.

Thanks to those who contributed :)

Best budget laptop? - stan10

Late to this party, sorry - but this might help others,

Friend recently (couple months ago) bought one from here, found Windows 10 a bit of a struggle, but no probs so far with the actual laptop

www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/refurbished-laptops-und...p

Best budget laptop? - galileo

Late to this party, sorry - but this might help others,

Friend recently (couple months ago) bought one from here, found Windows 10 a bit of a struggle, but no probs so far with the actual laptop

www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/refurbished-laptops-und...p

No connection with this company other than as a satisfied customer, bought two laptops and a TV from them over the years.

Best budget laptop? - flakk

Dell Latitude E7440 is the only one that I can recommend for that money