Squircles - P3t3r

Squircular steering wheels seem to be getting suprisingly common in new cars. Has anybody tried driving with one of these? Are they as bad as they look?

I'm assuming that it makes it easier to get in/out of the car, but that assumes that the wheel is straight, and it rarely is for me.

Squircles - badbusdriver

I doubt it would make much, if any, difference. Any benefit for getting in or out of the car would be on the assumption that the wheels were pointing straight ahead, or at least at the appropriate angle, for one of the flat edges to be on the bottom. I think it is just a style thing!.

Much like the flat bottomed steering wheels you get on 'sporty' cars, to make the driver feel like they are on the 'ring.

Squircles - Bolt

I doubt it would make much, if any, difference. Any benefit for getting in or out of the car would be on the assumption that the wheels were pointing straight ahead, or at least at the appropriate angle, for one of the flat edges to be on the bottom. I think it is just a style thing!.

Much like the flat bottomed steering wheels you get on 'sporty' cars, to make the driver feel like they are on the 'ring.

The allegro had one, and was terrible but you got used to it after a while

A list of top 10 worst steering wheels

jalopnik.com/the-ten-ugliest-steering-wheels-93784...0

Squircles - RT

Any number of cars had steering wheels where the boss wasn't in the centre of rge wheel - it allows the column to be offset from the centre of the seat - the Nova was like that - quite noticeable if you styopped with half a turn of lock on.

Squircles - badbusdriver

Any number of cars had steering wheels where the boss wasn't in the centre of rge wheel - it allows the column to be offset from the centre of the seat - the Nova was like that - quite noticeable if you styopped with half a turn of lock on.

Really?, i had 2 nova's, never noticed that!

Squircles - Andrew-T

Even in cars with wheels intended to be circular, when the wheel is turned quickly it is clear that the boss is not exactly central, but the offset cannot be large enough to be intentional. I think the manufacturing process just isn't that accurate. It's not the same as an LP, for example.

Squircles - P3t3r

That's what I saw, a flat bottom. Just as bad really, although at least the complete squares are more symmetrical.

Squircles - galileo

I seem to remember that the SD1 Rover steering wheel was slightly 'squared', I found it OK.

Squircles - bathtub tom

My '14 reg Yaris has a flat bottom of the steering wheel. Makes it a lot easier to squeeze my 16 stone belly under it, Doesn't cause any problems to me (who regularly lets the wheel spin after going from full lock)

It's a common feature on competition cars and look at many old films of old cars and you'll see the wheel is far from perfectly 'round'.