Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - Sam Barber

I bought a 2nd hand car the other day, everything seemed fine, took it for a test drive and it ran well.

We drove the car home and the next day the battery was dead (nothing would switvh on and car wouldnt start)

We looked at the battery and one of the screws was slightly loose so we knew that someone had already been messing with it.

We went out and got a new battery and the car started.

The day after same thing happened, battery was dead. We asked the shop to switvh the battery for us which they did (incase we had a faulty one) the car started however we can see something is draining the battery (my husband tested the battery as he is an electrician)

We are stumped - has anyone come accross this before? Also any advice on what we can do in terms of being mislead about the car being in good working order - the previous owner is not answering our calls or txts.

Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - elekie&a/c doctor

Depends how you bought it .From a private seller,then you are on your own .Bought from a dealer,then you could ask for a refund,but it may be a minor fault that is not too involved to fix.More investigation into the electrical system will be required to isolate the fault.Could even be an alternator fault.

Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - SLO76
"the previous owner is not answering our calls or txts."

In a private sale you have no rights, effectively it is sold as seen. This is why you pay less but there are risks involved.

Unless it was a trader posing as a private seller. Did the address match the V5 and was the full document there including the yellow trade section? How long had the seller owned it?
Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - TheGentlemanThug

If the seller knew of the fault and failed to mention it then you do have a legal case. Whilst you could argue that the seller surely knew the fault existed, especially if they'd driven the car recently, there's no guarantee you could prove it in court.

Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - pd

First I'd try and isolate where the drain is coming from. Monitor the current and start pulling a few fuses to see if you can isolate a circuit. I'd start with the alarm, steering lock and power steering which are common areas on these.

I'd also recommend taking out the CEM (Central Electrical Module) which is the fuse box above the passenger's footwell, disconnecting everything and spraying liberally with contact cleaner. Dry it out and put it back in. These often either get water in them or get kicked by passengers in V50s causing also sorts of electrical weiredness.

Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - RobJP

If the seller knew of the fault and failed to mention it then you do have a legal case. Whilst you could argue that the seller surely knew the fault existed, especially if they'd driven the car recently, there's no guarantee you could prove it in court.

Wrong. In a private sale, unless the seller specifically says 'in perfect condition with no faults', or unless you specifically ask about faults - for example "Are there any faults or ongoing problems with the electrics, battery, etc", and they then lie in reply, then they have absolutely no obligation to you.

Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - Manatee

Correct, all the seller has to do is not lie. And in this case, even if he had said, on record, that there were no faults all he has to say is that the fault was not present when he sold it.

Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - Engineer Andy

Correct, all the seller has to do is not lie. And in this case, even if he had said, on record, that there were no faults all he has to say is that the fault was not present when he sold it.

In that case, ingorance (of the seller) is a defence! :-)

I was told by a work colleague who was the type to avoid 'getting invloved' in reporting faults and problems (as engineers in the construction industry), he would do the 'I see no ships' routine when looking in rooms by covering his eyes, so he didn't see anything that he would be obliged to later have to report. The same probably goes for cars - people can claim ignorance of any knwoledge about their car's workings, 'missing' several dodgy things in the engine bay and 'not noticing' the scraping sound as the car was driven.

Caveat Emptor.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 18/08/2017 at 18:26

Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - Big John

If a private sale - it's hard to fight back

As your husband is an electricitan - identify the battery drain circuit with an ammeter and the removal of fuses one by one

Filament lights including the boot or glovebox light can drain a battery surprisingly quickly

Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - S40 Man

Is the alternator ok. I used to have an S40 (saloon version of V50) and the alternator packed up. The steering is electrical rather than hydraulic. Does the charged battery go flat overnight? This would indicate a current leak. If it's only when driving round that could indicate the alternator. Did the steering go heavy at all? Mine did when the alternator failed. I had loads of electrical gremlins on mine though.

Good luck.

Those adds are a real ball ache when writing on a smartphone, jeees, right in but the middle of the text.

Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - oldroverboy.

Those adds are a real ball ache when writing on a smartphone, jeees, right in but the middle of the text.

Simples, use something with a proper keyboard!

a "smartphone" is ok for talking, texting and sending the odd sms/message and using as a satnav or to find a pub/restaurant/shop/ etc while out. as a means of lettter writing beyond a short paragraph, it is a pain in the posterior.

Volvo V50 - 2nd hand car - major fault found 1 day after buyin - SLO76
"a "smartphone" is ok for talking, texting and sending the odd sms/message and using as a satnav or to find a pub/restaurant/shop/ etc while out. as a means of lettter writing beyond a short paragraph, it is a pain in the posterior."

Bulk of my ramblings on here come courtesy of iPhone.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/08/2017 at 11:24