Vauxhall Corsa C - Corsa Comfort 1.0 2001 problem - Vij Van

I recently bought a Corsa Comfort 1.0 2001. It's mileage is low, less than 30000; it has a good service book having been regularly serviced.
Within city roads no problem , even though not brilliant. Once I go to A or M roads , there are problems. At speeds more than 40 miles, the steering is not stable when changing lanes or applying brakes to reduce speed, the car drifts a bit, and due to my holding the steering it comes back on course. The steering wheel is about few degrees, about 3 degrees let us say, to the left at zero speed. When I start the car, it makes some tapping noises as if some metal is touching another. While driving , no other sounds. The drifting is acute when going down a slope, while going up a slope it is more stable. Is it a problem connected with the Electric controls of the steering system. There are instructions in the internet for fixing issues of Corsa EPS is caused by the torque sensing mechanical components. Is it all or is some other things needs to be looked into ? For any speed more than 40 miles, I have to be cautious

I am in Renfrewshire, any good mechanics or vauxhall centres in Renfrewshire or Glasgow who can fix this and anyone recommended?

Thanks for any answers

Vauxhall Corsa C - Corsa Comfort 1.0 2001 problem - 520i

Don't take a car that age to a Vauxhall garage, the bill will be more than the car is worth! Go to a local tyre centre or decent local garage and have your tracking done, it could well just be that the wheels need aligning properly.

That mileage is very, very low. The most likely possibilities are either that the car has been owned by an elderly driver who has battered the thing up every kerb in town, or that it's been damaged in an accident, badly repaired on the cheap and had the mileage clocked as a distraction. Be prepared for either!

Vauxhall Corsa C - Corsa Comfort 1.0 2001 problem - Vij Van

That mileage is very, very low. The most likely possibilities are either that the car has been owned by an elderly driver who has battered the thing up every kerb in town, or that it's been damaged in an accident, badly repaired on the cheap and had the mileage clocked as a distraction. Be prepared for either!

Thanks for the reply. I have the Service history book and looking at it difficult to conclude the mileage has been clocked. Also, nowadays you get the MOT history on the HMG website, which gives mileage year after year. If year after year, the mileage increase sounds reasonable, how can it be clocked to give a very different reading, for example decrease by 10K or 20K or more. The car has been MOTed in April and the mileage icrease after that sounds reasobale. Also, the car looked clean inside and out , with no dents or tell tale signs of an accident , recent ot early. The car looked well looked after for it's age. Except for a small rust , the exterior is fine and under the hood also it looked clean. I tested it by driving locally for a few hundred feet and I saw no particular show stopper problem. Whatever the "real" history of the car, it needs a professional look

Vauxhall Corsa C - Corsa Comfort 1.0 2001 problem - SLO76
The noise you're hearing on startup will be the timing chain tensioner which is a very common problem on these engines. It's often down to infrequent oil changes and again more common on low mileage cars that see lots of short stop start driving which doesn't allow the oil to reach full temperature. Low mileage cars like this must have regular oil changes, at least once a year.

The instability at speed is most likely the tracking and is easy sorted at any tyre centre but worn steering racks are again very commonnon these too but I'd be surprised if this was the case at that mileage. It could also indicate poor quality accident repair.

I'd seek out a good independent garage to check it over before spending any money on it.