Car insurance - Oli rag
Years ago we all used to go to an insurance broker, who would search through a long list of companies to try and find us suitable and ( hopefully) affordable cover.

Then came the likes of Directline, who said "come direct, miss out the middle man for the best deal" and most people did.

Now we have "compare sites " who do the sifting bit again and take a cut like the brokers used to do. I know the compare sites own, or are tied to insurance companies, but have we just come full circle?

Car insurance - RT
Years ago we all used to go to an insurance broker, who would search through a long list of companies to try and find us suitable and ( hopefully) affordable cover. Then came the likes of Directline, who said "come direct, miss out the middle man for the best deal" and most people did. Now we have "compare sites " who do the sifting bit again and take a cut like the brokers used to do. I know the compare sites own, or are tied to insurance companies, but have we just come full circle?

Half circle maybe - many insurers don't put themselves on comparison websites, often with better cover and/or lower premiums than those that do put themselves on comparison sites.

I use a broker, Cornmarket who administer the Advanced Drivers' Surety scheme as well as a stack of other affinity group schemes - each year when I get their renewal notice, I put my details into a couple of comparison websites to find out their best price for similar cover and excess - usually, Cornmarket/Surety are slightly better cover and slightly cheaper premium - twice in 15 years their premium has rocketed but giving them the details from the comparison site just triggers their "price match" promise and gets the premium down for another few years.

Car insurance - Andrew-T

<< Years ago we all used to go to an insurance broker, ... >>

I'm afraid I don't count, as I have never used an insurance broker. I can't actually remember how I found an insurer when I started driving 50+ years ago. I do remember using D/L when they first started, and after several years away I have gone back to them recently for one car.

Now I use a comparison site to test the water, then go on-line for those sites (like D/L) who aren't included. Of course D/L = Churchill, tho I'm not sure how much they really overlap.

In the end, of course, unless you have to pinch every last penny, what matters is their service when you call on them.

Car insurance - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

It's easy to knock off £100 plus from a renewal premium on a comparison website. I gave up on loyalty with The Prudential and Guardian Royal Exchange. The latter admitted they were not going to continue with car insurance when the renewal quote tripled. I'm happy to renew at less than £300 nowadays. Others are more patient with research.

Car insurance - argybargy

If I can persuade my current insurer down to anything approaching the previous year's premiums (ie, within 30 quid or so), I don't bother seriously looking elsewhere.

If that fails I invoke the comparison sites in the order suggested by Moneysavingexpert, and only after that would I consider looking outside those sources.

Having just changed to a newer car, albeit in a similar insurance group to my old vehicle, and having read in the news lately that premiums have risen steeply for a variety of reasons, I anticipate that remaining with my current provider for the next insurance year will prove more challenging.