N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - Neil Randall

I've starting persuing used cars recently, and have noticed some traders have tacked on an on-average £149 'admin fee' to their available stock. Maybe it's just me but that's a red flag to avoid, espcially if it's money for nothing.

If it's a legitimate cost, just sew it into the cost of the car. I don't expect to buy £50 of groceries at the supermarket, and be charged an admin fee at the checkout, and even less so when buying a five-figure car!

Does anyone know what it's for, or when it started?

Cheers.

Edited by Neil Randall on 02/08/2017 at 13:41

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - RobJP

It's not 'for' anything - just to try to make their cars appear cheaper on Autotrader or Motors websites.

Personally, if I was buying a car from one of the companies who tack on such a fee, I'd negotiate a price (not mentioning the fee at all), and then, when all agreed, tell them that they were throwing that in for free, or I was walking out the door.

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - Gibbo_Wirral

Yep, I've come across the same. Sticker price then there's the road tax and then there's an admin fee for "doing the paperwork". Evans Halshaw used to be notorious for it.

But, walk away and they'll waive it.

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - Engineer Andy

Some of the car supermarkets do, or at least have done. I was charged about £65 when I bought my Mazda3 from Motorpoint back in 2006. I think they use it as a 'cover all' for any paperwork, prep (washing/vacuuming) etc, although my car was essentially brand new (only 15 del miles on the clock) so other than the paperwork, not much to do really.

I didn't mind that at the time, as I was saving well over £1000 over the next cheapest price from a broker and was getting my old Micra traded in at the same time. Fuss-free in the main. I do think its a bit of cheek for firms to add such costs on top of the 'sticker price' (airlines are by far the worst at this) to pretend to prospective customers that they are cheaper than competitors. Online shops do this a lot with postage costs - cheap product price, expensive (above cost) P&P.

We have to really keep our wits about us these days to avoid all these 'hidden charges' and rip-offs. The good old interweb has made things far worse, even if general prices have come down.

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - Neil Randall

Yeah, what I thought. Wouldn't imagine a £150 makes any difference to a prospective buyer when they're looking at five figures. It's the car that makes the sale - no-one'll walk away from a better model, just because it's £150 more, hence the seller might as well add it into the price tag.

Edited by Neil Randall on 02/08/2017 at 14:37

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - SLO76
Car supermarkets are well known for this dodgy practice but put your outrage to one side and look at the full cost involved. If it's cheaper despite the admin fee you're still winning and most will wave it if you force the issue.
N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - oldroverboy.

And don't get me going on the subject of car hire..

Some comparison sites add on the cost of a 1 way hire after the booking has been made, so appear cheaper, others add an admin fee in tiny little figures to appear cheaper.. none mention the cost of the hire company cdw/ldw waivers and only 1 (holidayautos) offers a clear if overpriced waiver policy)

Probably the most corrupt motoring related practice there is!

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - RT

And don't get me going on the subject of car hire..

Some comparison sites add on the cost of a 1 way hire after the booking has been made, so appear cheaper, others add an admin fee in tiny little figures to appear cheaper.. none mention the cost of the hire company cdw/ldw waivers and only 1 (holidayautos) offers a clear if overpriced waiver policy)

Probably the most corrupt motoring related practice there is!

Not just motoring - a number of larger items have a "delivery fee" that's still payable even if you collect.

IMO, only optional items should be separately priced.

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - Andrew-T

I'm sure this is encouraged by comparison sites which list things in price order. It's vital to appear at the top of the list, by whatever means.

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - colinh

Seem to remember one of the early car supermarkets, Car Trade Sales of Slough, had a fee back in the late '90s (..and according to their current website, still have it)

EDIT

In fact, given they were an HJ recommended seller, just checked the "search" function on this site, and one of the early references for 2001 (there's probably older ones) shows an admin fee of £51

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2001-06/mo.../

Edited by colinh on 02/08/2017 at 18:03

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - oldroverboy.

I bought mny cars from TSL slough, and the dmin fee was always waived...

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - NARU

If the admin fee is compulsory, then I believe it has to be included in the sticker price.

Its been in place at various dealers for a while

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=65247

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - skidpan

Personally I give a monkeys about how the price is built up, what matters is the price I am paying.

I garage A charges £15000 for the car with no admin fee and garage B charges £14000 for the car plus a £500 admin fee I know where I am going to buy form.

Same with brokers. I have used Carfile twice now and they charge nothing whatsoever. But another reputable broker Broadspeed charge a £199 "Introduction Fee". If the price of the car was less at Broadspeed and their pet dealer was quoting similar delivery times etc I knw where I would spend my money.

At the end of the day you have to make a decision, if you object to paying clearly displayed extras simply walk away.

N/A - Admin Fees - What the Hell?! - Smileyman

Last week I spoke to a Mazda dealer in the west of England who told me of a £99 fee for car advertised on Autotrader, he waffled on about fuel and mats too if I remember correctly but in truth I'd switched off by then .... the fee had been reduced from £199 but I can't remember the rest. Shame actually, it was a silver colour car which I prefered - the others I'd seen were black (both of which were cheaper too).

Needless to say if I had pursued the vehicle the final price would have become a central topic for discussion.

Edited by Smileyman on 04/08/2017 at 01:00