Any - Curiosity regarding French Law - Dabooka

Posting in here rather than Legal as I know this is frequented by a lot of folk who travel on the continent, and I fiigured you'd know the answer.

In Honest John's column from the weekend there's a letter about a faulty Range Rover Vogue. I'm curious about the snippet regarding French Law and recovery from the autoroute, as with a pal who's abut to embark on a motorcycle tour down to Spain it piqued my interest somewhat.

Could someone please enlighten me as to what the author is referring to and if there's anything of note my mate should be aware of ahead of his journey? I assume it's more in relation to the author contatcing Land Rover Assistance as opposed to a recovery agent direct?

Any - Curiosity regarding French Law - oldroverboy.

I think that you have to pay the recovery off the motorway and then claim it back from your breakdown service, but i am sure that focussed (and others) will clarify it more.

So make sure you have breakdown cover

I have Start Rescue and it say it in my terms and conditions but if you have a breakdown you must contact them BEFORE being recovered.

bought via a comprison site for eu £55... and some pennies using a discount code from voucher codes (google is your friend)

Cheers ORB.

I checked, and he's got European breakdown (he added it his insurance when it was up for renewal) but I'll suggest he reads the small print first about prior contact; thanks for the tip.

Edited by Dabooka on 25/07/2017 at 11:29

Any - Curiosity regarding French Law - RT

I checked, and he's got European breakdown (he added it his insurance when it was up for renewal) but I'll suggest he reads the small print first about prior contact; thanks for the tip.

I think it's the case that the French autoroutes won't allow private breakdown contractors to operate - similar in the UK to the Mersey tunnels - but it's down to the small print to find out if/how he can reclaim the money.

I think it's the case that the French autoroutes won't allow private breakdown contractors to operate - similar in the UK to the Mersey tunnels - but it's down to the small print to find out if/how he can reclaim the money.

Ah, so it is removed by the approved recovery agents prior to your own cover transprting it. That makes sense. I'll speak to him tonight and get him to check the fine print.

Dabooka

Any - Curiosity regarding French Law - focussed

I can't comment from experience as I have never broken down in France - but yes it's pro -breakdown services only on autoroutes and four lane Route Nationales.

Just as a reminder, towing with a rope is not allowed anywhere, having said that it does get disregarded occasionally by the local rednecks out in the sticks where we are..

Rigid towbars are in a bit of a grey area as far as the law is concerned, as are A-frames - it depends which gendarme stops you and whether he had a good lunch etc.

Breakdown insurance is usually included in the car insurance over here.- standard is 25 km from home breakdown - you can upgrade to 0 km for a small additional cost of about €20.

Just thought I'd update those of you kind enough to post a response.

I discussed the points raised with my pal, and he's checked with his insurer and he does indeed need to contact the them prior to any recovery so jolly useful info. In addition, two of the party have since checked and found out their cover doesn't include the costs of recovery from the autoroute at all. At least they know!

Appreciate the tip regarding towing too.

Edited by Dabooka on 29/07/2017 at 10:33

Any - Curiosity regarding French Law - Big John

Just thought I'd update those of you kind enough to post a response.

I discussed the points raised with my pal, and he's checked with his insurer and he does indeed need to contact the them prior to any recovery so jolly useful info. In addition, two of the party have since checked and found out their cover doesn't include the costs of recovery from the autoroute at all. At least they know!

Appreciate the tip regarding towing too.

Worried me slightly as I have cover through Nationwide Flex plus but I think I'm OK:-

"Roadside assistance and local recovery in Europe In some countries if you break down on a motorway or other major route, your call may be answered by the police and they may arrange for a recovery without our authorisation. If this is the case, you may be asked to pay for the service and you should keep the receipt and claim it back from us when you get back to the UK."