VW LT35 MWB Box-van 2001 5Cyl 2.5TD - LT35 Ignition key coding - budgie75

My locks, (no central locking), were all getting sloppy so I bought a box-set from VW comprising all cylinders/barrels, the reader coil and pre-connected electronic box and two ignition keys. Job done? Well it started OK and I drove it for a few weeks till I mislaid my keys, so got out the second supplied new ignition key; engine starts and runs for 1 second then dies. Found my keys and the other new key still works.

Despite all components being supplied as a box-set, with lots of numbers and stickers to show all components match, WV main dealer insist that the non functioning key must need re-coding at a minimum cost of £75 + vat and it could be more as it may take time to get their current software to work with this old vehicle.

Doesn't seem fair treatment; I know life aint fair, but does anyone have a view on this?

VW LT35 MWB Box-van 2001 5Cyl 2.5TD - LT35 Ignition key coding - elekie&a/c doctor

Sounds like a cheap deal to me.Unless you can find a local auto locksmith to do it,may not be much difference in price.